Shimano Warranty

jedimaster

Agreed, John.

Again, here is the text of both warranty types as spelled out on Shimano's site. Sounds quite clear to me.

Shimano Rod - Limited Lifetime Warranty

As used herein, “Shimano” will mean “Shimano American Corporation” with respect to United States warranty claims and “Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE” with respect to Canadian warranty claims. Shimano and Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE warrant to the original retail purchaser that this rod will be free from non-conformities in materials and workmanship. Shimano's sole obligation under this Limited Lifetime Warranty is to repair or replace, at Shimano's option, a non-conforming rod at no cost to the original retail purchaser other than the cost of packing, insuring, and shipping the rod to Shimano. This Limited Lifetime Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

To request warranty repairs on a United States warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid, to Shimano or return it to the retailer that it was purchased from. To request warranty repairs on a Canadian warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE or return it to an Authorized Canadian Warranty Center. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a brief note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.

Rods that are repaired or replaced by Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE under the terms of this Limited Lifetime Warranty will be shipped back to you with Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE paying the return shipping charges. If your rod should be found to require repairs outside of the coverage provided by this Limited Lifetime Warranty, Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE will perform the repair or replacement and bill you for parts, labor, and return shipping charges. Retailer and wholesaler outlets are not required to perform warranty repairs or exchanges on behalf of Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE, nor are they authorized to modify this warranty in any way.

THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO OR COVER ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROD NOT RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER.

Shimano Rod - One Year Warranty

As used herein, “Shimano” will mean “Shimano American Corporation” with respect to United States warranty claims and “Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE” with respect to Canadian warranty claims. Shimano and Shimano Canada Ltd./ LTÉE warrants to the original retail purchaser that this rod will be free from non-conformities in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. During this period Shimano's sole obligation under this Limited One Year Warranty is to repair or replace, at Shimano's option, a non-conforming rod at no cost to the original retail purchaser other than the cost of packing, insuring, and shipping the rod to Shimano. This Limited One Year Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

To request warranty repairs on a United States warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid, to Shimano. To request warranty repairs on a Canadian warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE or return it to an Authorized Canadian Warranty Center. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a brief note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.

Rods that are repaired or replaced by Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE under the terms of this Limited One Year Warranty will be shipped back to you with Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE paying the return shipping charges. If your rod should be found to require repairs outside of the Limited One Year Warranty coverage (more than 1 year), Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE will perform the repair or replacement and bill you for parts, labor and return shipping charges. Retailer and wholesaler outlets are not required to perform warranty repairs or exchanges on behalf of Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE, nor are they authorized to modify this warranty in any way.

THIS LIMITED ONE YEAR WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO OR COVER ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROD NOT RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER.

I called, Shimano in Irvine, They said unconditionally Vrods are still warranted and he gave me the number to call in canada. In fact he also said my clarus with lifted guides is also covered and should be replaced. I called the canadian number and they said the Clarus was only 70 dollars and as such its not covered for anything other than breakage after a few uses. They also said Vrods also have no more warranty on them.

I called back the irvine office they said no that is not right vrods are covered for life to the original owner. The clarus I have is also covered for life the price of the rods means nothing. Its backed by the limited lifetime warranty and its covered too. He is going to investigate directly with the canadian office and see what is going on. He was very surprised when I explained to him the situation and was noticibly pissed off. He said without a doubt if I brought it in to a US repair center they would replace them both over the counter. He said the limitations are limitations to the cause of the damage not to the length of term of the warranty.

I think part of the problem is that even though each manufacturer's warranty is stated, it is not always applied the same way.

for example, back when G. Loomis Canada had the Mount Hope plant, I had an IMX MBR783 baitcasting rod (a $300 rod at the time from LeBaron's) that had broken near the tip. I called them, arranged to bring it to them, and they had a brand new one there waiting for me for $60.

$60 for a new $300 rod. I was happy.

Now, here is the thing:

if you talk to other people who had had to use G. Loomis's warranty, they will tell you it sucks, was not honoured, they got shafted etc etc etc.

now, keep in mind that this rod had a true lifetime warranty, not a "limited" one.

still, you hear stories of people getting screwed.

I think that depending on which company rep you talk to, your experience can differ.

Probably the same with Shimano, St. Croix etc.

Personally, if I am going to spend $200+ on new rod, its going to be a Loomis or a St. Croix.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Personally, if I am going to spend $200+ on new rod, its going to be a Loomis or a St. Croix.

I would agree but I held the Legend Tournament in my hand allongside with the gloomis and the cumara, and I liked the cumara better. I wish I didn't like it better, but what can i do. I guess I'll always be a shimano guy, i just wish I could get a straight answer from shimano. Even when I called shimano canada they were not able to give me any idea of when the cumara rods limited lifetime warranty will expire.

my personal experiences from shimano canada in ptbo, ON is not good....highly rude and cuties on the phone...most recently they sent me a rebate cheque that was not signed and bank won't cash....good luck trying to get them to re-issue a new cheque....

best bet is having the irvine office make a few calls to shimano canada

$300 for a rod with a crappy grip... sorry warranty covers blank only...

looked like it had a set of channel locks taken to it along the whole grip... around it also...

Float.jpg

not impressed... just bring it in, we replace it no questions asked sales pitch....

i brought it in... sorry blank only... plus need the reciept... then one guy says snap the tip off and we'll "try" and warranty that???

i didn't do it... but awesome, i snap the tip on the rod, then he'd tell me, sorry warranty won't cover it...

I think part of the problem is that even though each manufacturer's warranty is stated, it is not always applied the same way.

for example, back when G. Loomis Canada had the Mount Hope plant, I had an IMX MBR783 baitcasting rod (a $300 rod at the time from LeBaron's) that had broken near the tip. I called them, arranged to bring it to them, and they had a brand new one there waiting for me for $60.

$60 for a new $300 rod. I was happy.

Now, here is the thing:

if you talk to other people who had had to use G. Loomis's warranty, they will tell you it sucks, was not honoured, they got shafted etc etc etc.

now, keep in mind that this rod had a true lifetime warranty, not a "limited" one.

still, you hear stories of people getting screwed.

I think that depending on which company rep you talk to, your experience can differ.

Probably the same with Shimano, St. Croix etc.

Loomis warranty now is called the expediter warranty, you pay $75.00 and they replace the rod no questions asked.

there is a lot of debate about the warranties on expensive rods and whether or not that coverage should be included in the price.

some say, drop the price by $100, and if I break it or have an accident I pay full price for a new one.

others say keep the price elevated, and if I have an accident with the rod, let me pay 75 dollars or whatever for a new one.

personally, when I buy an expensive rod (not very often lol) I buy it for the characteristics of the rod, not the warranty.

the high end Loomis's and St. Croix that I have fished with have been a joy to fish with. light, well balanced (you can fish all day and not have a sore arm), sensitive, cast a quarter mile and have the power to get a great hookset, yet are not too stiff.

the fact that they may also have a lifetime warranty is just gravy IMO.

the thing is, crap happens. I have never broken a rod while fishing (<touches wood>) but have had a rod break to a slammed car door once.

you can be extra careful with your equipment and sometimes, well, crap happens.

so sometimes having a good warranty is a very good thing. but there are some who would rather not pay for this cost included upfront in a new rod.

the debate will never end..

I've been looking into Northfork blanks which is Garry Loomis's new company and the blanks alone cost the same as high end Loomis rod.They look pretty sweet and I know with Garry designing them they'll be top notch.The last info I got is there still working on a 13'6" center pin blank which should be on the market soon

Edited by canadadude

hope they cover it

I think most times it is the salesman fault and ours of believing them

I have had more deals fall through because while the bill or contract or offer was being written up a write in it things that the salesman has guaranteed something

then they say you cant put that in the contract...

I say.but you told me that word for word, are you telling me you lied

then they seem to get real mad..I guess because I remembered what they promised me...most salemen will say anything to close a deal............period

hope they cover it

I think most times it is the salesman fault and ours of believing them

I have had more deals fall through because while the bill or contract or offer was being written up a write in it things that the salesman has guaranteed something

then they say you cant put that in the contract...

I say.but you told me that word for word, are you telling me you lied

then they seem to get real mad..I guess because I remembered what they promised me...most salemen will say anything to close a deal............period

Great point. Not to derail this thread but in answer to the salesman's argument that you can't put a promise in a contract, the Ont govt has now written it into law that real estate salespersons must put promises in writing. Maybe we need more sales type jobs to be under license. Might bring a halt to a lot of this misrepresentation that goes on.

JF

while I am not a lawyer but I do play one on T.V. disclaimer.

A verbal contract or statement can not override a written contract or statement. Salesman will as others said promise the world but only need to deliver the contract.

Art

I've read all the posts and what you guys need to do is develop a good relationship with a tackle store. I buy and send lots of customers to the store. Then my friend gives me a rod and reel that he doesn't want. In the process of giving me the rod he breaks the tip bringing it into my house. So I go to my local shop and say can you fix my rod with the broken tip, they say sure bring it in. So I do and then they say why don't we send it in under warranty claim and I'll just give you a new one. I'm like you can do that. Yes they say and I get a new rod that's in stock at the store. No problems no worries. Now all that to get my point out. If you take care of your local shop they will take care of you. I didn't even buy the rod there and who knows how old it was but they took care of me. That what you should be doing and you never have to worry about a warranty.

I've read all the posts and what you guys need to do is develop a good relationship with a tackle store. I buy and send lots of customers to the store. Then my friend gives me a rod and reel that he doesn't want. In the process of giving me the rod he breaks the tip bringing it into my house. So I go to my local shop and say can you fix my rod with the broken tip, they say sure bring it in. So I do and then they say why don't we send it in under warranty claim and I'll just give you a new one. I'm like you can do that. Yes they say and I get a new rod that's in stock at the store. No problems no worries. Now all that to get my point out. If you take care of your local shop they will take care of you. I didn't even buy the rod there and who knows how old it was but they took care of me. That what you should be doing and you never have to worry about a warranty.

I agree it use to be like this with alot of local shops,unfortunatly manufacturers are alot more stringent on warranty issues in todays economy.Gone are the days when my local shop will replace my rod with one off the shelf because the manufacturer won't replace the rod he sends in for warranty.It's tough for the local shops to take a hit.

I bent a guide & broke the insert on one of my Compre musky rods 2 weeks ago. Dropped it off at the P'Boro Shimano office and picked it up the next morning all fixed up and got a repair bill for $5.00

I was happy with that.

Edited by lew

I got a call back while I was on my way up to a tourney this weekend from one of the VP's at the Irvine office. He was flabergasted by what was going on out of the Canada office. He said unquestionably Vrods are still covered and if they break they wil be replaced with a cruicial. He said that the limited in limited lifetime warranty refers to the type of damage not the length of time the rod is warranted for. Also he said that Guides, finish and grip are all covered under the warranty. If I send them back to the US or bring them to a US repair center they will be replaced. He tried to get a hold of someone from the Canada side but they were already closed. He said that he will follow up with me this week when he is able to find out what is going on north of the border.

I bent a guide & broke the insert on one of my Compre musky rods 2 weeks ago. Dropped it off at the P'Boro Shimano office and picked it up the next morning all fixed up and got a repair bill for $5.00

I was happy with that.

lol, $5.00.

That's awesome lew.

lol, $5.00.

That's awesome lew.

Yeah, it was Bill.

Almost like they couldn't fix it under warranty as I broke it thru my own stupidity but they had to charge me something, so it's like OK...gimme 5 bucks :lol:

I got a call back while I was on my way up to a tourney this weekend from one of the VP's at the Irvine office. He was flabergasted by what was going on out of the Canada office. He said unquestionably Vrods are still covered and if they break they wil be replaced with a cruicial. He said that the limited in limited lifetime warranty refers to the type of damage not the length of time the rod is warranted for. Also he said that Guides, finish and grip are all covered under the warranty. If I send them back to the US or bring them to a US repair center they will be replaced. He tried to get a hold of someone from the Canada side but they were already closed. He said that he will follow up with me this week when he is able to find out what is going on north of the border.

Looks like you are getting to the bottom of things here, that is good. I've been doing some research and trying to decide who has the best warranty.

It seems that there is a discrepency between the Canadian Shimano and Shimano down in the US. Your experience is a far cry from some of the stories I have read on American forums, things like, "my idiot buddy slammed my 8 year old rod in the door, but they gave me a brand new one no questions asked, right over the counter at my tackle store"

This is no suprise as customer service is typically more of a priority down there. What I get from all of this is that it would be best to deal directly with the Americans for warranty claims.

Unfortunately that probably means shipping a rod south, unlesss its possible to get to one of those US repair centers. Do you know if there are any located in the Buffalo area?

I just picked up a shimano voltaeus rod (to get me by until more $$). $60 CAD, limited lifetime warranty, I figured why not. Any problems and I will go south.

Good luck with this, hopefully the Irvine office will talk some sense into their Canadian arm. Keep us posted on how things go.

Almost like they couldn't fix it under warranty as I broke it thru my own stupidity but they had to charge me something, so it's like OK...gimme 5 bucks :lol:

Lew, it might just be good karma coming back at you from Shimano. If they only knew how many people you've converted to their products. Not that you've ever pushed their wares...you simply mention them in a positive way if you were satisfied with them.. I have 5 Compre rods and I remember that the very first one I bought was on your recommendation. A few other items you have recommended I have purchased and I have always been happy with the results. You only reap what you sow. This little blurb should get you your $5. back. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Bud.

I'll make sure to post back when I hear back from Irvine or from Canada. Like I said from the begining I am not trying to slam shimano, I just want a clear explaination as to what the story is on the warranty, not only for us Vrod owners but for anyone buying a Shimano rod expecting a lifetime of limited lifetime warranty. I still love shimano rods and reels, but I just want to know. I just wish shimano hats were nicer looking then I could put my Gloomis and St.Croix hats on the wall. :)

Looks like you are getting to the bottom of things here, that is good. I've been doing some research and trying to decide who has the best warranty.

It seems that there is a discrepency between the Canadian Shimano and Shimano down in the US. Your experience is a far cry from some of the stories I have read on American forums, things like, "my idiot buddy slammed my 8 year old rod in the door, but they gave me a brand new one no questions asked, right over the counter at my tackle store"

This is no suprise as customer service is typically more of a priority down there. What I get from all of this is that it would be best to deal directly with the Americans for warranty claims.

Unfortunately that probably means shipping a rod south, unlesss its possible to get to one of those US repair centers. Do you know if there are any located in the Buffalo area?

I just picked up a shimano voltaeus rod (to get me by until more $$). $60 CAD, limited lifetime warranty, I figured why not. Any problems and I will go south.

Good luck with this, hopefully the Irvine office will talk some sense into their Canadian arm. Keep us posted on how things go.

Jedimaster do what I did!Send it in a cardboard shipping tube very well marked,VERY VERY WELL MARKED,FRAGILE.Through canada post.Insure for twice the cost of the rod and all fees.If the tube comes back damaged.In that shimano says it was and they cant warranty it due to damages.You got your self a legit claim.I usually deal with the shops but the first time I ventured that route.SHOOT I POSTED IT!OH WELL!