braided line

addymark

If you fish real deep, then red can be a good choice. Apart from that, the rest of my line is "Moss Green" or somemthing like that, except for a blue spool of Sufix Fuse I've been using. Certainly, if you're using flouro leaders, it doesn't seem to make any difference; at least, not in my experience.

are the brands pretty even?

do the colours make a difference, or is it personal preference?

The colour wears off somewhat anyhow on most braided lines. If you have trouble seeing your line, yellow is a good choice. I like the green braid with a few feet of flourocarbon. There are "clearish white" braided siperlines such as Stren Microfuse, Spiderwire Invisibraid, and Berkley Fireline. Tempted to try them but my suffix braid has not been used yet this season (oh boy does the green wash off so easily).

thanks for the quick replies.

I was thinking mossy green colour but the red sounds like a good idea as well.

One more thing, when using the flourocarbon leaders, what knot do you use when tying to your line? or can you tie it to a 2 way swivel?

One more thing, when using the flourocarbon leaders, what knot do you use when tying to your line? or can you tie it to a 2 way swivel?

A nice ballbearing (my preference) swivel is a necessity especially if you are trolling inline spinners for pike/muskie, or worming for bass. Hell I pretty much use a swivel all the time except for some crankbaits and ultralight fishing with a cricket top water. Even spinner baits I am forced to use a swivel, because if it fouls up, the whole spinnerbait starts spinning.

The modified albright is a great knot for flouro to braid or the uni knot too. tying to swivel I'd use the doubled uni knot for the braid and the floro but I'm going to try the triple loop for the flouro because there is proof its a really strong for floro and it wastes less line when tying it.

Tying to the lure with flouro is another story. Looped knot for wobbling cranktbait, snell knot flipping in heavy cover punchbaits, triple loop knot worming. So it depends on the lure you are using imo.

I haven't used dental floss for fishing, but I have used fireline. If you use it right, fire line is works fine. Newer versions of all the super lines are better than the previous generations.

As depth increases, the colour red "disappears" and the line shows black instead. Is that better??? No matter the colour of my braided line if I am worried about the line being visible I use a leader.

A swivel for joining a leader works but can be a pain if you're not careful (real it up to your tiptop guide and crack the guide). Two uni knots work very well. Many of the braids will have a guide inside the box for joining lines.

btw remember to put some electrical tape (not on the inner arbor walls) or the foam tape they include in the braid line box or else your line may slip on the spool when you hook a good size fish.

One line that seems to never get the mention is Tuf Line XP. I love that stuff, and it's a fair bit cheaper than PowerPro.

Then, you can even go on to trying Daiwa Samurai Braid, and Fireline Braid. For Fireline Braid, buy 30#+, from that weight and above, it is super smooth. Only problem was that they did knot easy when fishing it on a windy day.

I just got some InvisiBraid too. And don't listen to the package about it being translucent...I don't buy it a single bit. But anyone who buys braid knows that they are sacrificing visibility for strength. The white braid looks awesome though ;)

Edited by EC1

You'll probably also want to look into flat braids vs. round braids and "fused" vs. "braided". I find that the flat braids (Fireline I believe is flat) don't work as well on baitcasters. I tried Fireline crystal on one of my baitcasters one time and it kept digging into the spool and then breaking off. Switched over to a round braid and haven't had an issue since. Also, I find the "fused" lines are usually the ones that end up like dental floss as each strand begins to separate after a while.

I thought the sufix was garbage! 30# was thicker than #50 fireline and very stiff. I like powerpro now a lot better than when it first came out.

If you are looking for a supple line try the camo braid! I also like the alternating colours as it makes it easy to spot if a fish it taking line if I have wandered away from my setup while carping.

I use Spiderwire stealth on almost all of my rods. From 15 lb on some of my bass gear all the way up to 80lb on my muskie gear. All of it is very very strong and i've never had a problem with it. I recently put some invisibraid on my newest reel and have been catching fish at a good rate with no problems. I find that everyone will have a different opinion. Just try two or three kinds out over the years and you will find one you like best. My brother always uses powerpro and i don't think he'll ever change to anything else. All personal preference.