Tried rippin bucktails at buckhorn.

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to go fishing with my friend on monday(my-Birthday). I go fishing every year on my birthday. This road trip was like no other that I have been on as I was listening to country music and enjoying it all the way up!lol Really relaxing. I must be getting old!!!Stopped by to get some subs at subway and sign up for the Dave Mercer contest! :thumbsup_anim:

We picked Buckhorn because it was going to be very strong Northern winds and I figure we fish the north end of Buckhorn and stay out of the wind.

Had a late start and didn't get to the lake until about noon. Rented a boat at sunrise resort. Really good guy. $80+tax(gas included) from 8 till dark and 6 till dark on weekends. He told us the musky slowed down as soon as it opened but the pickerel were everywhere.

We launched with high hopes. Never been here in the spring, only the fall and we do exceptionally well for musky.

It was pretty windy and the wind was supposed to be a NW wind but it seemed to be coming more from the W than the N. So we were only in the strike zone(weedline) for a limited time.Started casting and didn't get a sniff for a good 45 minutes. Seen the first musky follow on a deep weedline. Was less than 30 inches but a start. Promising. I'm throwing the musky spinnerbait and she is throwing the grub. Gotta get her more of those pheonix grubs(its all about confidence).

Never mind the pickerel. The largies were everywhere and we didn't fish under 10 FOW. Mind you none over a pound and a 1/2. We kept moving and we kept hitting them.

Tried a few pickerel spots and put on the bucktail jig. My lure for this year is the bucktail. Every year I pic a new lure to use and this is it for this year. Worked it, worked it, worked it. NOTHING. Starting to get frustrated. Switched back the the spinner bait and had another small musky follow.

Went to our next spot. Nothing but largies. The good news is I'm nailing them on the bucktail and getting some confidence.

Went to another spot.She nailed a smallie. Went to my go to spot for pics and I nailed a LM bass. At this point I am getting frustarted. Want to catch my first bucktail pickerel. We are working a weed flat but the drift is fast. So I started way inside the weedline. I know your supposed to work buck tails in close but I was casting FAR! To reach the outside of the weedline. On my second snap, I feel a hit, bring it in? Its my first bucktail jig pickerel!! I was soooo happy. What a gift on my b-day! And on top, it was in the slot limit!!

walleye029.jpg

Seems like he was really hungry and having a snack!

walleye023.jpg

As the excitement died off, I go to cast and the rod is snapped some how! I had to put the bucktail on another rod. This one with 8-10 kb test(the other had 12lbs I rigged for her).I'm working it and doesn't it snap off in the weeds? After that I tried every bucktail, dressed jig, maribou, I had for about an hour and nothing. I think they are wayyy to light and I think you need minimum 1/4 to have any luck. I even tried working a jig and grub aggressively like the bucktail but no luck.Gotta buy more big bucktails!!!!

Anyways, had a great time. Didn't catch any musky but I mostly worked the bucktail. She caught 4 largies and 1 smallie and I caught a nice pickerel and countless largies on the bucktail.Seen some really mouth watering bass structure for bass season. The strange thing is when I go in the fall? I hardly ever see any bass(but I'm throwing big spinner baits all day). This time they were everywhere. Will give the jig and pig a go next time. Hope you enjoyed the report.

Funny how as soon as opener hits, the musky disappear.lol I was fishing a few days before opener with fisherpete for pickerel. We nailed 4 pickerel and 1, 36 inch Musky(on a x-rap).I also had a 40+ inch musky follow me in(on a small crankbait) and another one took a swipe at a smallie I was bringing in. Didn't post the musky pic because it was caught OOS.

I just received the whitefish I caught too. After only about 15 jigs we had to leave.

IMG.jpg

I gotta get my own camera so I post the pictures on time.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Ripping bucktails along weedlines is something i have read about for decades. Never been successful at it, caught more weeds than walleye. You can get a decent point and shoot cameras, over 10 mega-pixels, for around 100 dollars these days. Similar cameras were a few hundred dollars a 4-5 yrs. ago. Continue the good fishing!

I've got a buddy who used to fish tourneys years back and his fave technique for walleye was ripping a bucktail jig in the weeds. It's a lot of work but it produces. Good luck with the technique of the year. Mine is going to be slow trolling a worm harness around weedlines for walleye and mastering the art of the Suick for musky.

Ripping bucktails along weedlines is something i have read about for decades. Never been successful at it, caught more weeds than walleye. You can get a decent point and shoot cameras, over 10 mega-pixels, for around 100 dollars these days. Similar cameras were a few hundred dollars a 4-5 yrs. ago. Continue the good fishing!

EHG it took me a while to perfect the rip jig on the kawartha lakes too lol. the best way to pick them up is a medium action rod, braided line, and a nice perch colored bucktail. what i do is cast into the weeds, and rip from the 9 to 12 position, when i say rip i mean HARD AND FAST (gf just got excited lol) anyways, tear the weeds apart if you have to they will strike. just keep an eye on your braided line. sometimes you'll lift for the next rip and the fish will be on most of the time however you'll see your line slightly tug when its slack. after a little bit of practice you'll be boating fish instead of swearing at them lol.

btw johhny, thats a great lookin walleye, sorry for jackin your thread.

Nice repot JB.

As Terry said,

when ripping the weeds works...it works well..love it
I couldn't agree more. I've also had them hammering the bucktail one day and the next nothing. Throw out a grub and they'll hit that all day long. Go figure.

Still liking my rock and roll as well.B)

EHG it took me a while to perfect the rip jig on the kawartha lakes too lol. the best way to pick them up is a medium action rod, braided line, and a nice perch colored bucktail.

when ripping the weeds works...it works well..love it

I am glad I am not old...still like my rock and roll

Maybe will try this rip jiggin method next time since it has been explained and others show confidence. :Gonefishing:

Have the stuff just need the time.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for asll the advice and words of encouragement. I mostly pound edges and sparse weeds but will try throwing it right into the weeds next. Looking forward to catching one on my own made bucktail now!

Well looks like I might be working for a bit so I wont be putting up too many fishing reports! But It just means I will buy a better boat! :thumbsup_anim:

A few things make ripping much easier:

-thin diameter superline.

-the right jighead.

-the right weight

Super thin braid, like 10lb PowerPro will cut through lots of weeds. The lack of stretch allows you to "snap" the jig off the weeds easier

If the jig is too heavy, it will bury in the weeds too deep and make it difficult to rip. I like a jig that has just enough weight to just settle into the weeds, but doesn't plunge deep.

The jighead is IMHO the most important factor.

IMG_2755.jpg

The upper jighead, with the line-tie right at the nose, is designed for ripping. When you pull on it, the jig is pulled nose-up through the weeds with very little snagging. The bottom jighead, with the line-tie on the top, levers nose-down into the weeds when you pull on it. The bottom jighead is great for open water and vertical jigging, but will snag way more when trying to rip. For ripping, a ball-head jig would work better than the bottom jig.

A few things make ripping much easier:

-thin diameter superline.

-the right jighead.

-the right weight

Super thin braid, like 10lb PowerPro will cut through lots of weeds. The lack of stretch allows you to "snap" the jig off the weeds easier

If the jig is too heavy, it will bury in the weeds too deep and make it difficult to rip. I like a jig that has just enough weight to just settle into the weeds, but doesn't plunge deep.

The jighead is IMHO the most important factor.

IMG_2755.jpg

The upper jighead, with the line-tie right at the nose, is designed for ripping. When you pull on it, the jig is pulled nose-up through the weeds with very little snagging. The bottom jighead, with the line-tie on the top, levers nose-down into the weeds when you pull on it. The bottom jighead is great for open water and vertical jigging, but will snag way more when trying to rip. For ripping, a ball-head jig would work better than the bottom jig.

Excellent information, gives one a lot to think about and proves that little details do make a big difference! Thanks for the lesson!

EHG it took me a while to perfect the rip jig on the kawartha lakes too lol. the best way to pick them up is a medium action rod, braided line, and a nice perch colored bucktail. what i do is cast into the weeds, and rip from the 9 to 12 position, when i say rip i mean HARD AND FAST (gf just got excited lol) anyways, tear the weeds apart if you have to they will strike. just keep an eye on your braided line. sometimes you'll lift for the next rip and the fish will be on most of the time however you'll see your line slightly tug when its slack. after a little bit of practice you'll be boating fish instead of swearing at them lol.

btw johhny, thats a great lookin walleye, sorry for jackin your thread.

Great info hear,thats how you do it,it's not a finess aproach at all.....noth'in like doing your next rip and a 3+lber is on the end,thats hard on wrist hahahahaha

If your not getting them ripping,what I call plopping is the next best technique,this where I use a round head and a twister tail or double twister.For plopping you just drop your jig into pockets in the weed along the weedline works best for non-agressive eye's.One of the most important tools needed for both these types of fishing is a good pair of polarized sun glasses.IMO these are the most important thing for fishing weeds

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for all the very useful info! Grubs I have mastered. I need a new challenge and bucktails is it.

The next step is I may switch to braided line. I use 6 lb mono now.

deffinetly get your self some braid. singingdog explained it perfect.. 0 stretch, and weed cutting ability. my rig isnt the best for it but i use a 20 pound braid (spiderwire) with a medium/fast action on a spinning reel. my jig head rarley comes back with weeds on it.

great advice on the jig heads singingdog. i gotta pick up more of those inline eyelet ones.

There's a great article in the May edition of Outdoor Canada on the subject of walleye in the weeds. It also includes some good info on rip jigging for walleye in the weeds and features some beautiful bucktails tied by big jim mclauglin that apparently are retailed in JB's Fishing Depot, and at Gagnon's in oshawa. I'm not trying to spam - just pass some info on that i came across recently.