4 strokes vs 2 strokes

TJQ

Since I was looking around for a new motor, my first choice would have been a 6hp Yamaha.

The first thing I noticed is that Yamaha.com (US) doesn't have any small 2 strokes on the site. I went to the .ca sit and yes there they are. So i asked my local sales guy and he says that they are slowly phasing out the 2 strokes, and they are getting hard to find.

Im all for emissions controls, but from what I know (which is very little) about small 4 strokes, if they are not kept upright or in a very specific position, the crankcase oil can leak into the cylinders and make the motor not operate. On a regular boat this isn't a problem as the motor stays upright on the boat most of the time. But what about when the motor has to be flown in or gets rocked around on a ATV up and down hills on the way to the lake??

I wonder how/if they will be able to address this problem??

I think most are designed to be stored on a certain side of the engine nowadays, so you should be ok as long as the top of the motor doesn't get placed below the lower end of the motor.

With how light the 4 strokes are getting, I wouldn't even think of a 2 stroke at this point. Good luck.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use a bunch of the yammie 4 strokes and they are fantastic motors. the weight isn't much of an issue, and the storage isn't hard... "THIS SIDE UP" is posted right on the motor... The only downside to 4's for me at this point, is that they don't idle as low as the 2 strokes, so they troll a little fast.

The only downside to 4's for me at this point, is that they don't idle as low as the 2 strokes, so they troll a little fast.

I've noticed this as well in some boats. You'll probably get 1.3 - 1.6mph troll at the slowest.

TJ why not give Giesler a call in Powassan they might have a few used 2 strokes laying around...If you are looking for a 2 Stroke

just a thought,

Giesler Marine

299 Elm St

Powassan , ON P0H 1Z0

Phone: 705-724-2100

TJ you're 100% correct. When I bought my 2hp Honda a couple of years ago my first choice was something similar in a 2 stroke. There was unfortunately nothing available.

I do a lot of portaging with my Honda and you're correct, the oil will leak everywhere unless it's carried a certain way.

For me it's a huge pita.

I've dealt with the situation by draining the motor oil (it doesn't take much) before I portage then topping it up when I'm done.

On the plus side it is incredibly fuel efficient and so far very reliable.

Still if I had a chance to grab a good 2 stroke I would.

Edited by solopaddler

The latest generation Yamaha 4hp and 6hp four-strokes can be laid on their sides. In terms of size and weight, the new F6 is something like 23 pounds lighter than the previous four-stroke model, and roughly the same weight as their old two-stroke 6 hp. Best of all, it's fuel injected (the 2-stroke wasn't) so it trolls way better.

Honda makes a 5 hp that is truly nice, and trolls down to a crawl. Not sure if you can lay it flat though.

I'm pretty sure you can lay the Suzuki 6hp on one side. Rumour has it this engine may be updated shortly to include some new refinements that they put in their 9.9 over the winter. It it's anything like the new 9.9, then it will be a major winner.

Yup, had that happen to me on a 1996 Johnny 4 stroke....laid it on the wrong side which caused a hydraulic lock. Had to tear it done to clean out the oil that had moved into the top portion of the cylinders. Once I found that out I never placed it on its side again. But, in your case that would be a problem. You might have to build a special cradle to fit in your ATV trailer so that it stays upright. Hey, Wayne can make one for you! :whistling:

The big difference between two strokes and four strokes is one takes twice as much time.

Since I have never owned a marine four stroke outboard I am partial to the two strokes only because they are simpler mechanically and I have learned "old school" and don't have a desire to learn four strokes yet.

Art

The big difference between two strokes and four strokes is one takes twice as much time.

Since I have never owned a marine four stroke outboard I am partial to the two strokes only because they are simpler mechanically and I have learned "old school" and don't have a desire to learn four strokes yet.

Art

So that car in the background is a two stroke, eh? what's there to learn, put gas in tank, prime, pull and how cum therz no stinkin blue cloud to follow you around all day, impregnate your clothes and lungs. At the end of the season you change the oil&filter, just like your car, oh ya, forgot it's a 2 stroke.. :sarcasm:

Edited by Fisherman

Tried to purchase a new 2010 f6a longshaft Yamaha this morning. Yamaha informed me none available until mid September or October. This new 6hp. weighs 60lbs. and may be laid down on either side as well as the front without fear of oil leakage etc. Short shafts are available.

Tried to purchase a new 2010 f6a longshaft Yamaha this morning. Yamaha informed me none available until mid September or October. This new 6hp. weighs 60lbs. and may be laid down on either side as well as the front without fear of oil leakage etc. Short shafts are available.

This type of situation will become more common in the future. One result of the recent recession is that companies are building everything in smaller production runs. If you see a deal on something (especially a major item like a boat or engine) you better grab it while you can, because it won't be there tomorrow.

Guys who held off buying a new boat at the Toronto boat show, thinking they would get a better deal now, are running into this problem. Princecraft is basically sold out of everything till November.

Mukluk - the F6A is a sweet engine. If you put a deposit on one (refundable if they can't deliver on time, of course) you will at least be sure of getting one when the next batch arrives from Japan.

Princecraft is basically sold out of everything till November.

As it stands now, you can get what you want in Princecraft products from Thomas Marine....a sponsor of our community.

As it stands now, you can get what you want in Princecraft products from Thomas Marine....a sponsor of our community.

You can get what they have left in stock. If you want to order in something they don't happen to have on the lot, you're out of luck till the fall.

You can get what they have left in stock. If you want to order in something they don't happen to have on the lot, you're out of luck till the fall.

Yes, that's closer to the truth, Craig.

So that car in the background is a two stroke, eh? what's there to learn, put gas in tank, prime, pull and how cum therz no stinkin blue cloud to follow you around all day, impregnate your clothes and lungs. At the end of the season you change the oil&filter, just like your car, oh ya, forgot it's a 2 stroke.. :sarcasm:

It actually is a hybrid it is a diesel. I am much more comfortable in the old technology as in carburetors,instead of EFI, reeds instead of valves,no timing chains etc the amount of moving parts to break is less than a four stroke. I am sure their is alot of advantages to the 4 strokes but in the case of a small portable motor that he wants to carry out on a four wheeler in unusual positions two is a better choice. If I had to repower any of my big boats (40 jetdrive 150 outboard)then a four stroke will definitely get my vote.

( the two strokes verus four strokes is a play on words if two strokes takes you 1 second then four strokes takes you 2 seconds) alas another joke that missed it make....such is the life of a hasbin comedian.... :rofl2:

Art