Nipissing in June walleye report

kickingfrog

My brother and I were up to our uncle's place from Monday night until Thursday afternoon. We hit our usual areas and found some new spots on spots this time. Only ended up with 8 fish under the slot.

Here are most of the rest:

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0326.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0333.jpg

DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0337.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg

DSCF0346.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0378.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

My brother has a bunch on his camera as well. If I get 'em, I'll post a few more.

Most of those fish were caught in the middle of the day trolling and casting crank baits (that was a golden 3 hours). All were released including the 2 or 3 that were just out the other side of the slot.

Edited by kickingfrog

man, those are some Great pictures !! My buddies and I were fishing last week in North West Arm and did terrible in the Walleye dept. Used half worms on spinners, trolling most of the time. Lots of 'shads' in the water there.

If I may ask, what part of Nipissing (in general) were you in?

I find these posts so interesting. I have fished Nipissing 1000s of times and I have a box full of crankbaits yet I have never trolled for walleye with crankbaits on Nipissing before. Live bait is so successful I always start with it. There were some nice big ones you caut and kudos to you for releasing the ones outside the slot.

man, those are some Great pictures !! My buddies and I were fishing last week in North West Arm and did terrible in the Walleye dept. Used half worms on spinners, trolling most of the time. Lots of 'shads' in the water there.

again, Congrats on your fine catch and thanks for sharing the pictures. Rob, I am rather new here so not sure if I should expect a response when I ask a question (per my earlier post)?

My buddies and I come up for one week every year, so we are done on Nipissing till 2011. We go to the same area, and fish the same way. ie. spinners and worms, trolling, and weighted to stay on the bottom. I am guessing you were catching those Walleye's in a different part of the Lake than we were? Calender Bay? I am not interested if finding out where your 'honey holes' are, but would appreciate knowing the general area. I am also interested to know what depth you were fishing in, as we were stuck in pretty consistent 7-8 ft of water, where normally it is around 10ft.

Maybe the NW area is being over fished commercially? We saw nets strung in one of our fav spots for the first time. Not sure if this is First Nations nets or if there is other commercial fishing allowed on the Lake?

thanks

Edited by JimC

My uncle's place is about half way between Calander bay and hunter's bay, and we didn't go far to find the fish.

Dang that's some good shootin congrats guys heck I have not caught a thing on my Polish perch WTH.

My brother caught that pike, 3 walleye and a smallie on that thing.

I find these posts so interesting. I have fished Nipissing 1000s of times and I have a box full of crankbaits yet I have never trolled for walleye with crankbaits on Nipissing before. Live bait is so successful I always start with it. There were some nice big ones you caut and kudos to you for releasing the ones outside the slot.

We usually don't troll either because my uncle's boat is not suitable, but this year with the low water we had to use my cousin's 14ft aluminum.

The one day we fished one spot in the morning jigging and drifting like the other boats. We got a few nice ones. When the other boats left for lunch we decided to troll the spot a bit. We caught 10 fish between 20 and 25 inches in two hours. We went back the next day and picked off 3 more casting.

Nice report and I thought the news was that walleye were fished out.

They are shhhhhh!

Good shooting Lads! Did I spot the "Polish Perch" hangin out of one of those Pickereye's mouth? Nice to see that someone can catch a fish on that thing!

HH

See above. The pike cracked the top of the lure though.

again, Congrats on your fine catch and thanks for sharing the pictures. Rob, I am rather new here so not sure if I should expect a response when I ask a question (per my earlier post)?

My buddies and I come up for one week every year, so we are done on Nipissing till 2011. We go to the same area, and fish the same way. ie. spinners and worms, trolling, and weighted to stay on the bottom. I am guessing you were catching those Walleye's in a different part of the Lake than we were? Calender Bay? I am not interested if finding out where your 'honey holes' are, but would appreciate knowing the general area. I am also interested to know what depth you were fishing in, as we were stuck in pretty consistent 7-8 ft of water, where normally it is around 10ft.

Maybe the NW area is being over fished commercially? We saw nets strung in one of our fav spots for the first time. Not sure if this is First Nations nets or if there is other commercial fishing allowed on the Lake?

thanks

We were in the same areas we usually fish and ya the water is 2 and a half feet shallower than most years. The areas we fish there is a fast transition from one depth to another (shoals and points) so it did not appear to make a difference to the fish if there was 12ft of water over their heads or 10ft. The structure was the key.

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. I have a few similar looking lures in my box, and almost put one on in desperation to drag around for awhile when nothing was hitting our spinner / worm combo. Wish I had at least tried it. I will for sure next year.

Does anyone use those Red and White June Bugs (by Lucky Strike, I think) any more? When I was a kid in North Bay, my Dad and Uncles fished the Goose Islands, and limited each time out. That's all they used, tipped with a shiner or sometimes a fat dew worm. Of course, there were way more pickerel back then (45-50 years ago) than there are now, so probably most anything would get clobbered? just curious.

we fished the west arm the weekend before - jigging worms, trolling harnesses, casting crankbaits til our arms fell off. scored a few eyes butmostly pike. the whole area is 5-7 feet deep and endless searching yields almost no structure, just a big flat bowl. travelled out a couple of times past the hardwoods and found some deeper water but very difficult to find shoals or dropoffs. nice scenery, had a great shore lunch. id probably fish nipissing again from a different area, although with normal water depths the endless bays and islands look great for bass. nice post, great pics.