Dalton McGuinty

Chris

Sadly, Ontario does not vote the provincial government in, Toronto votes the Provincial Government in.

Agreed.

If PEI has a population of 140,000 approx. and is it's own province, maybe Toronto should be aswell.

Edited by Harrison

I think there should be a law that states if your an eligable voter and you do not vote you will be fined, lets say 250.00. Then maybe people will take a bit of time and educate themselves about our prov and fed political agendas. And also if you hold a law degree you can't be a politician. And if you promise you will do something, or won't do something during your election campaign and then when elected you do it. Immediate dismissal without compensation. We need more common folk as politicians and less lawyers. That should get rid of most of the lying that goes on right there.

Guest Johnny Bass

Too many people don't want wind turbines in their backyard. These are the same people who have a fair bit of money and talk about being green. There is a big stink about putting wind turbines in Lake Ontario off the Scarborough Bluffs, I say DO IT!!! Wind is free, the sun is free, we have an abundance of both, why not utilize it for crying out loud??? Burning garbage and sewage would make too much sense. Nuclear although unpopular is actually a very good option. If only OPG can build reactors on budget and on time. AECL has a great reactor called the CANDU which is very efficient and safe. We've had them at Pickering and Darlington for over 30 years. Get the plants up and running and build more. I'm sure there are mines up north in the boondocks that could be used to store the waste. Big government equals big waste and we really need to realize that. I can go on and on until your ears bleed. I think the future for energy production lies elsewhere however but that is what I think and I'll keep it to myself.

In Europe they collect garbage/sewage and convert it into energy. There are even some livestock owners that are able to power thousands of homes off the energy they make from animal waste believe it or not for the country folks.

Nuclear energy was unpopular in the past because of leaks, nuclear waste, and of course Chernobyl. But with todays technology these fears are minimal, and they have discovered ways to reuse most(if not all) of the waste produced by nuclear plants.

So ya, we may consider making some more nuke plants. Not to mention an oil refinery. We have an abundance of oil, but we pay more for our OWN oil then Americans? Why? A number of bogus reasons, but one transparent one? We have to ship it to the states to refine it and then they ship it back with the added cost of course. Lets start making jobs in Canada! Lets build a refinery. Lets refine our own fuel.

I still say electric cars is the way to go.

Guest Johnny Bass

I think there should be a law that states if your an eligable voter and you do not vote you will be fined, lets say 250.00. Then maybe people will take a bit of time and educate themselves about our prov and fed political agendas. And also if you hold a law degree you can't be a politician. And if you promise you will do something, or won't do something during your election campaign and then when elected you do it. Immediate dismissal without compensation. We need more common folk as politicians and less lawyers. That should get rid of most of the lying that goes on right there.

Japan has had four prime ministers in the last four years resign, due to public outrage over broken election promises.

Japan has had four prime ministers in the last four years resign, due to public outrage over broken election promises.

In Japan, people still believe in honor as part of their way of life. There is nothing worse than bringing dishonor and disgrace upon oneself and one's family. Those kinds of ethics died some decades back in Canada.

Edited by bigugli

I concur....

It's easy to be an armchair basher, to say all politicians are the same. When one actually talks to those who hold office you learn that it is a tireless and thankless job and that a lot of them sink their life into it. Anyone ever look at the divorce rate of those who hold office?

Your civic duty goes beyond whining and spending 1/2 an hour every four years and placing an X on the ballot for someone you don't care about. Instead of bashing, why not get involved? If you believe all politicians are the same, then run for office. Be the example that others can follow.

Edited by scuro2

Anyone ever look at the divorce rate of those who hold office?

Yes and by pure happenstance, their divorce rate is higher than that of criminals behind bars. Coincidence? I think not.

Small price to pay to generate clean energy, that is not raping our planet.. at least windmills do not blowup spewing millions of barrels of oil into our oceans, killing countless thousands of earths creatures, not to mention the ecological ramifications for years to come..

I would take a windmill over oil platforms any day!

Just think about those living along coast... what are their water front properties worth now?

Give me clean renewable energy.

G

In Europe they collect garbage/sewage and convert it into energy. There are even some livestock owners that are able to power thousands of homes off the energy they make from animal waste believe it or not for the country folks.

Nuclear energy was unpopular in the past because of leaks, nuclear waste, and of course Chernobyl. But with todays technology these fears are minimal, and they have discovered ways to reuse most(if not all) of the waste produced by nuclear plants.

So ya, we may consider making some more nuke plants. Not to mention an oil refinery. We have an abundance of oil, but we pay more for our OWN oil then Americans? Why? A number of bogus reasons, but one transparent one? We have to ship it to the states to refine it and then they ship it back with the added cost of course. Lets start making jobs in Canada! Lets build a refinery. Lets refine our own fuel.

I still say electric cars is the way to go.

Plenty of refineries in Canada. :whistling:

List of Canadian Oil Refineries

Canada

[edit] Newfoundland and Labrador

North Atlantic Refinery, located in Come by Chance, (North Atlantic Refining), 115,000 bbl/d (18,300 m3/d)

[edit] Nova Scotia

Imperial Oil Refinery - Dartmouth, (Imperial Oil), 89,000 bbl/d (14,100 m3/d)

[edit] New Brunswick

Saint John, (Irving Oil), 300,000 bbl/d (48,000 m3/d)

[edit] Quebec

Montreal-East, (Shell Canada), 161,000 bbl/d (25,600 m3/d). Montreal East Refinery (Shell Canada)

Montreal, (Suncor Energy), 160,000 bbl/d (25,000 m3/d). Formerly Petro-Canada (before Aug 2009) Montreal Refinery

Montreal, Gulf Canada Oil, 70,000 bbl/d (11,000 m3/d) Closed in 1985 ans restarted in 2003. Montreal East Refinery (Gulf Oil Canada)

Lévis, (Ultramar(Valero)), 215,000 bbl/d (34,200 m3/d)

[edit] Ontario

Nanticoke, (Imperial Oil), 112,000 bbl/d (17,800 m3/d)

Sarnia, (Imperial Oil), 115,000 bbl/d (18,300 m3/d)

Sarnia, (Suncor Energy), 85,000 bbl/d (13,500 m3/d)

Corunna, (Shell Canada), 72,000 bbl/d (11,400 m3/d)

Lubricant Refinery

Mississauga, (Suncor Energy), 15,600 bbl/d (2,480 m3/d) - aka Clarkson Refinery - base oil production is 13,600 bpd of API Group II capacity and 2,000 bpd of API Group III capacity. Formerly Petro-Canada (before Aug 2009) and historically a Gulf refinery.

[edit] Saskatchewan

CCRL Refinery Complex, Regina (Consumers' Co-operative Refineries Limited (CCRL)), 100,000 bbl/d (16,000 m3/d)

Upgraders (improve the quality of crude for sale at a higher price)

Husky Lloydminster Refinery, Lloydminster, (Husky Energy), 25,000 bbl/d (4,000 m3/d)

Husky Lloydminster Upgrader Lloydminster, (Husky Energy), 75,000 bbl/d (11,900 m3/d)

[edit] Alberta

Imperial Oil Refinery, Edmonton, (Imperial Oil), 187,000 bbl/d (29,700 m3/d)

Scotford Refinery, Scotford, (Shell Canada), 100,000 bbl/d (16,000 m3/d)

Edmonton, (Suncor Energy), 135,000 bbl/d (21,500 m3/d). Formerly Petro-Canada (before Aug 2009).

Bitumen Upgraders (turn bitumen into synthetic crude, which then must be further refined)

Scotford Upgrader, Scotford, (AOSP - Shell Canada 60%, Chevron Corporation 20%, Marathon Oil 20%), 250,000 bpd (located next to Shell Refinery) raw bitumen

Horizon Oil Sands, Fort McMurray, (Canadian Natural Resources Limited), 110,000 bbl/d (17,000 m3/d) raw bitumen

Long Lake, Fort McMurray, (OPTI Canada Inc. 35% and Nexen Inc. 65%), 70,000 bbl/d (11,000 m3/d) raw bitumen

Syncrude, Fort McMurray, (Canadian Oil Sands Trust, Imperial Oil, Suncor, Nexen, Conoco Phillips, Mocal Energy and Murphy Oil), 350,000 bbl/d (56,000 m3/d) raw bitumen

Suncor, Fort McMurray, (Suncor), 350,000 bbl/d (56,000 m3/d) raw bitumen

[edit] British Columbia

Burnaby, (Chevron Corporation), 52,000 bbl/d (8,300 m3/d)

Prince George, (Husky Energy), 12,000 bbl/d (1,900 m3/d)

We should start the therapeutic bashing thread. Members could just bash away at everything. They could vent about why female mallards have no colour, why humans form lines....posts wouldn't even have to necessarily be about a topic. Nor would it matter if they were actually attempting to communicate with other members, what would coherence matter on a bash thread?

That thread would have a real life benefit, it would save a few dogs in this world from getting kicked every night.

Edited by scuro2

Guest Johnny Bass

Plenty of refineries in Canada. :whistling:

From what I understand? Not enough.

As far as the divorce rate of politicians? Thats because they are spending too much of their time with their mistresses and hookers.

If your energy bills drop 50%, would you want a windmill near you?

How about if you had a mini windmill on your home instead of a weather main. I wonder how much electricity it could produce? I'd imagine alot in the country side.

We don't use oil to generate electricity in On. so there is no trade off and the pollution footprint from a wind generator or solar is probably worse than what we have. But what we do in On. is build cars that run on gas so I think I have figured out that the purpose of the green energy act is to kill the electric car by driving up the cost of power, its the only thing that makes sense when you do the math.

Guest Johnny Bass

We don't use oil to generate electricity in On. so there is no trade off and the pollution footprint from a wind generator or solar is probably worse than what we have. But what we do in On. is build cars that run on gas so I think I have figured out that the purpose of the green energy act is to kill the electric car by driving up the cost of power, its the only thing that makes sense when you do the math.

Can you explain to me how the pollution footprint of wind generators or solar panels is worse than carbon emissions???? I doubt that very much.

When the first car was invented by FORD, it was an electric car where you cranked the engine charged it up and let it go, but the oil companies insisted he make it run on gas since it was very cheap and abundant at the time. Its still abundant but apparently not so cheap anymore, with hordes of bogus excuses for the increase.

Then you have natural gas that has shot up threw the roof even though we have a gigantic supply of it. Its all robbery.

As far as electric cars? You could even put wind turbines on the front/sides(like planes) that would give you added power/electricity. It could recharge your electric battery while you are running on the battery or gas tank.

There are so many ways to produce cheap energy but the rich want to hold us by the balls.

If it takes more energy to build ,transport ,install and service than it produces, it cannot fill its environmental footprint.

Where else can you produce a product and the gov. subsidizes at a rate of over 10X market value. If the gov. wants to promote solar power spend some $ on research and development not spending over $200,000 on an $80,000 panel that will produce around $20,000 worth of power over 20 years.

How much will gov. give me per KW if I get Irish to build me a big squirrel cage on a generator for $80,000 and people could run on it watch a smart meter show them producing electricity and feel good about themselves, loose some weight and drink no sugar, no salt beverages. Maybe I can charge them a few $ to let them run on it, maybe I should delete this before somebody else steels the idea.

As far as electric cars? You could even put wind turbines on the front/sides(like planes) that would give you added power/electricity. It could recharge your electric battery while you are running on the battery or gas tank.

Wouldn't that be nice...free energy!

Unfortunately, the extra drag on the vehicle caused by trying to use speed to turn wind turbines and generators would far outweigh the energy produced. Like the old saying goes "you can't suck and blow at the same time".

With the emerging oil demands in the East on top of our own dependance, the scarcity of oil will become apparent sooner than later. To say that there is gargantuan deposits of oil on the earth is farfetched to say the least, and exactly what big oil and the car manufacturers want you to think. Oil will run out.

Guest Johnny Bass

If it takes more energy to build ,transport ,install and service than it produces, it cannot fill its environmental footprint.

Where else can you produce a product and the gov. subsidizes at a rate of over 10X market value. If the gov. wants to promote solar power spend some $ on research and development not spending over $200,000 on an $80,000 panel that will produce around $20,000 worth of power over 20 years.

How much will gov. give me per KW if I get Irish to build me a big squirrel cage on a generator for $80,000 and people could run on it watch a smart meter show them producing electricity and feel good about themselves, loose some weight and drink no sugar, no salt beverages. Maybe I can charge them a few $ to let them run on it, maybe I should delete this before somebody else steels the idea.

Be serious. How much could it possibly cost to build, install and service these things? Very little, and the amount of pollution it would emit is next to nothing. How can you compare wind farm emissions to the burning of fossil fuels is beyond me.

I thought of the same idea, but with horses on the belt.lol I'm sure there are many ways to produce cheap electricity but you wont hear it from the energy corps. Ever hear of the guy that invented cars that run on water? He disappeared(or was paid off). Dont know if that story is true but they have devices that extract hydrogen from water and use it for energy.

Guest Johnny Bass

Wouldn't that be nice...free energy!

Unfortunately, the extra drag on the vehicle caused by trying to use speed to turn wind turbines and generators would far outweigh the energy produced. Like the old saying goes "you can't suck and blow at the same time".

I thought of the drag, depends on how large the slits are on the side of your vehicle.

If that is the case? Why are their turbines on airplanes?

Guest Johnny Bass

With the emerging oil demands in the East on top of our own dependance, the scarcity of oil will become apparent sooner than later. To say that there is gargantuan deposits of oil on the earth is farfetched to say the least, and exactly what big oil and the car manufacturers want you to think. Oil will run out.

Eventually but not any time soon. There is still huge deposits of oil today and yet to be discovered. Still dont know the impact of removing all of it from the ground. Whether it has a purpose or not.

I think we will have developed better alternatives by the time oil becomes scarce.

I thought of the drag, depends on how large the slits are on the side of your vehicle.

If that is the case? Why are their turbines on airplanes?

You are comparing turbines powered by wind to turbines powered by jet fuel and spinning at god knows what rpm??

Guest Johnny Bass

You are comparing turbines powered by wind to turbines powered by jet fuel and spinning at god knows what rpm??

You don't think plane turbines are not powered by wind also?

:lol:

no they arent johnnybass. a typical turbo(ine) is powered exhaust gases -- which come from burning fuel. it serves to compress air. more air and more fuel = more power.

Solar panels produce very little power compared to the cost of putting them into production financially and environmentally and the idea that if we build a subsidized market for them they will build a better solar panel is questionable when you think about the market for solar panels has been satellites and space stations. If those guys can't make a better panel who can?

$80,000 puts up a 10k solar panel that at pre green energy policy unsubsidized prices would hardly pay for itself over its life expectancy let alone make a profit.

On. doesn't use oil to make electricity so there is no comparing wind farm to fossil fuel. We may have to built gas fired plants to help regulate the wind farms though like they did in Europe. Then they figured if we got to build gas plants why bother with wind generation and stopped using them.

The best way that wind generation will replace oil is with the electric car but by driving up the price of electricity it guarantees that will never happen.

Got the notice in the paper today... 138 turbines right on top of 6,550 hectares of the best smallmouth fishing in On. We are going to find out for sure if offshore turbines create dead zones, if they let us any where near them.

Guest Johnny Bass

:lol:

no they arent johnnybass. a typical turbo(ine) is powered exhaust gases -- which come from burning fuel. it serves to compress air. more air and more fuel = more power.

Do we have turbines that are powered by exhaust gases in cars to power an intake air compressor??

The way turbines are shaped, it looks like it involves air intake to create power.