$ 495+ tax!

siwash

Swapping out a headgasket isn't complicated, either is cleaning a carburetor. If you have a bit of mechanic ability and some patience you could easily tackle it. Now, what I do have a problem with is someone coming on here and trying to 'scare' the poor guy into taking it in somewhere to get replaced. Perhaps I misunderstood Cliffs reply, but I don't think so. I guess I've pissed off a lot of VW and GMC mechanics by doing all my own work on my car or truck. I don't remember taking that $7000 course or buying $10,000 worth of tools to do it either...

Food for thought.

If that is food for thought, you're dining on ignorance.

So tell us Mr. IT Manager; how long would it take you to hook up a boat trailer, bring it in to the shop, diagnose the problem, flush the system, rebuild the carbS (obviously you're aware there is more than one), set the carbs, replace the head gasket, run it in a test tank, hook up the trailer and pull it out of the shop?

If that is food for thought, you're dining on ignorance.

So tell us Mr. IT Manager; how long would it take you to hook up a boat trailer, bring it in to the shop, diagnose the problem, flush the system, rebuild the carbS (obviously you're aware there is more than one), set the carbs, replace the head gasket, run it in a test tank, hook up the trailer and pull it out of the shop?

You forgot to mention that you need to be a certified mechanic to do all those things.

Or did you completely miss my point and go off on some misinformed rant?

(I'm thinking #2)

We can poodle back and forth about this all day, you are entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. How about we just leave it at?

Edited by BillM

I agree about mixing different products Earnie, but we read so many different opinions about stabilizers lately it's hard to sort thru them all.

I've got a fuel/gas seperator installed in my boat with a 10 micron filter that'll be changed every season so hopefully that, along with the fuel treatments will keep things purring for many years to come.

Yup, times & technology are constantly changing but I don't know if that's always a good thing. :dunno:

With a new boat motor and water seperator, I don't think you would benefit much by adding Seafoam (prob $20/ fillup) at this point. Maybe once or twice a season.

You will actually see a difference on an older motor. Carbon deposits leaving the exhaust, a little extra smoke initially and nearly instant improvment in throttle response.

As it was explained to me, Seafoam as a stabilizer works differently than other stabilizers. It is claimed to mix with the fuel and absorb moisture while others are said to prevent moisture from mixing with your fuel. The idea being moisture is absorbed by Seafoam, dissapated, becomes combustable and leaves your fuel system entirely.

You forgot to mention that you need to be a certified mechanic to do all those things.

The OP clearly states that he is not mechanicly inclined and Cliff's response was to him, not you. I don't think Cliff would have responded to Bernie (a certified automotive tech) that he MUST take his outboard to a certified marine tech.

In short, Cliff's post illustrated why the job costs $500. He's not saying it can't be done cheaper by a guy that owns a $90 wrench set and lots of spare time.

You insulted Cliff and others with your post.

The OP clearly states that he is not mechanicly inclined and Cliff's response was to him, not you. I don't think Cliff would have responded to Bernie (a certified automotive tech) that he MUST take his outboard to a certified marine tech.

In short, Cliff's post illustrated why the job costs $500. He's not saying it can't be done cheaper by a guy that owns a $90 wrench set and lots of spare time.

I guess you and I read things differently.

My apologies to Cliff and anyone else that took offense to my original reply.

That still doesn't change my stance on the subject, but again that's my opinion.

Heavy Equip here. 27 years.

Just got called in. Machine over heating.

Sounds simple.But I can tell you what ever you thinking

the problem is going to be wrong.

Why do I know this.Because it's not that simple.

Is it low coolant,no.

is it water pump,no.

Is it thermostats.No

Is it belt adjustment,No

So if the mechanical is so easy. Tell me the problem,

And I'll tell you how much I make a Hour. :tease:

Edited by Tybo

Is it low coolant,no.

is it water pump,no.

Is it thermostats.No

Is it belt adjustment,No

You were the last one to work on it.....ZING..... tongue.gif

Is it low coolant,no.

is it water pump,no.

Is it thermostats.No

Is it belt adjustment,No

LOL , this is fun.

Question,2 thermostats or one?Clogged condensor or air to air.Weak fan blades?Ive seen it!Slipping clutch fan?Or that little gadget called a fan stat?HMMMM????Is it a ford?And ill tell you the head aches I went threw with viscous fans and not told about it.

Or the air leak that wouldnt go away until it was pinched.Broken down on the 401 at rush hour.And its over heating,LOL.Too many stories from being mobile too list.Scariest was rebuilding an air compressor on the 401 in rush hr in the hammer lane.Cheap bastages!Cost them a ton to do,should of called a hook.

Guest gbfisher

At least now it is fixed and guaranteed. I'm not sure about the rest of you but my time is worth lots to me. I could fix it but I wouldn't. I'd rather give it to someone who knows how to do it all right.

Klaus was a good call for sure. Good work costs money. :glare:

Interesting thread !!

Cliff, I always use Stabil regularily in all my gas engines and everything runs well, and in my outboard (150 Yamaha 4 stroke)I use Marine Stabil.

Should I also use Seafoam in ADDITION to the Stabil in all my engines......lawnmowers, snowblower, generators etc ??

Life used to be so simple before Ethanol :(

No need to use both Lew. Stabil is an excellent product and so is Seafoam. I use Stabil in all my equipment here at home, every can of gas that I bring home gets treated right away. It is less expensive than Seafoam but if you use it regularly you won't need the Seafoam.

That being said, Seafoam does work slightly differently with reguard to water. If you want to see the difference, pour a bit of Stabil into a glass jar and let it sit outside on a humid day. It won't take long before you will see water sitting in the bottom of the jar. Try the same thing with seafoam, you won't see the water seperation like you will with Stabil.

The best defense; keep your tanks filled, less hot humid air in the tank means less water to be absorbed or condensed when the tank cools. Use a good quality stabilizer which you are already doing, (that is why you aren't having any problems!

Oh what the heck for those that want to, good luck on fixing it yourself! The next repair might be a lot more than $500.00.

i really dont see why you needed to inject so much sarcasm. also, why do you feel the need to try and scare the OP away from 2 relatively easy tasks? i know...another tactic to scare people into getting robbed by a mechanic? :wallbash::rolleyes:

there are some things that are best left to mechanics because it will be done properly (hopefully) and save you money in the long run. but, cleaning a carb and changing a gasket is VERY EASY even if you havent done it before and does not require paying a mechanic to do the job.

maybe a few tips for a fellow OFNer would have been better than having attitude?

i really dont see why you needed to inject so much sarcasm. also, why do you feel the need to try and scare the OP away from 2 relatively easy tasks? i know...another tactic to scare people into getting robbed by a mechanic? :wallbash::rolleyes:

there are some things that are best left to mechanics because it will be done properly (hopefully) and save you money in the long run. but, cleaning a carb and changing a gasket is VERY EASY even if you havent done it before and does not require paying a mechanic to do the job.

maybe a few tips for a fellow OFNer would have been better than having attitude?

And you think I have attitude? How many " or ' lbs should he torque those head bolts to? What is the proper pattern for tightining the head bolts. What is the proper setting for the needle jets on those carbs and how long do you think that two stroke will run if he adjusts the carbs too lean!!! Long enough to get him out into the middle of the lake!!!! I always do my best to help any fellow OFNr and I have for more than 10 years, don't ever accuse me of not trying to do my best to do the right thing and help where I can!!!

Well three hours late and I'm back.

The problem to me was simple.

A little bit of,process of elimination.

Bingo. the problem is located and repair done.

Theirs a couple of things you have to remember about

all diagnostic.

Find the problem.

Is their anything related to the problem.

Never let yourself get stuck in the box.

First I said I was heavy equip.So their is a strong

chance the problem is not the the same as car and truck.

Well three hours late and I'm back.

The problem to me was simple.

A little bit of,process of elimination.

Bingo. the problem is located and repair done.

Theirs a couple of things you have to remember about

all diagnostic.

Find the problem.

Is their anything related to the problem.

Never let yourself get stuck in the box.

First I said I was heavy equip.So their is a strong

chance the problem is not the the same as car and truck.

A buddy of mine used to work for Toromont CAT before ending up with the Coast Guard. He told me some very interesting stories, lol... Hell the lube truck sounds like a fun job :)

i really dont see why you needed to inject so much sarcasm.

I think it's fair to say that Cliff has helped more OFNérs than any other member. Not only has he given free advice, labour and time, but he's opened his home to many as well. A few years ago I had a question about my trailer lights. Next thing I know I got a package in the mail containing new trailer lights. From Cliff.

You obviously don't read what goes on here or you'd know these things about Cliff.

Been with this company for 13 years.

A lubber hasn't lasted 2 years.

Bud at work,Keep saying thees kids now days are

made of glass.

If you can't handle lubing. How would you handle the

real part of the job.

SlowPoke apparently you didn't read post#16, Big Cliff's response was not to the OP it was in fact a slam to me.

Edited by wvmedic

Roy I haven't met Big Cliff but I feel he slammed me personally. I mean he did qoute my post which feel wasn't addressing the OP but addressing me.

Now I have read Big Cliff's other postings on here and at other places, I understand he is looked upon as a stand up Guy. He might very well be, however I have never nor will I ever single anyone out and slam them like that. No one on here knows me personally but I assure you my post to the OP was with only good intentions. I did not say that he was being ripped off, I said he needs a manual and that a lean condition of a bad carburetor can and will destroy his motor. I do not feel as if I gave bad information. I use the same name on other boards I belong too, all you have to do is google my user name and check. I ask a lot of questions, and contribute when I can.

I will admit I am certainly no marine mechanic, I have and do ask questions about repairs but I also learn as I go. I for one do not have the luxury of taking my stuff to a shop for repairs, I can not afford it. I do not believe though that it should prevent me from being able to enjoy fishing from my boat because I have to do the repairs my self. I will be 42 years old in two months and have been turning my own wrenches since I was about 10 years old, from motorcycles to bulldozers. But again I admit I am no pro and still have to ask questions, and I am not afraid to admit to it when I don't know much about some things.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic

Cliff, your advise given here has been spot on.

The 3 carbs on the 70 take some time to disassemble, clean, adjust and reassemble with the linkages needing to be properly set.

This takes some time and experience is necessary to do the job properly.

While the head gasket appears to be a simple job , an experienced tech will also be able to spot other possible issues when the head is off such as cylinder scores, warped head, cracks etc.

Also as has been mentioned is the requirement of a torque wrench, specifications and pattern.

4 hrs? I bet it takes at least that long to do the job properly.

This is a fair estimate. No ripoff there.

Some guys do have some mechanical skills that are not in the trade and are capable of doing some home repairs.

In my shop we see evidence of botched repairs often. I can understand the reason why fellas try to save themselves a few bucks but often it just ends up costing more.

SlowPoke apparently you didn't read post#16, Big Cliff's response was not to the OP it was in fact a slam to me.

Details... LOL! I merged posts #16 and #21 in my head and forgot about you. I just had the other guy in the scope. You had the decency to express your opinion where the other guy obviously has issues with mechanics.

Details... LOL! I merged posts #16 and #21 in my head and forgot about you. I just had the other guy in the scope. You had the decency to express your opinion where the other guy obviously has issues with mechanics.

I had a lovely PM convo with Cliff and we'll hopefully having a brew and a few fish tails to tell in the near future.

You can take the twist out of your panties anytime now.

I had a lovely PM convo with Cliff and we'll hopefully having a brew and a few fish tails to tell in the near future.

You can take the twist out of your panties anytime now.

No worries, I'm going 'commando'.

And stop thinking about me in panties!

Im that guy too and I rebuilt the card on a 63 Johnson last year, no problem.

In fact, it started on the second or third pull after sittin all winter so it must have been alright... haha.

Find a manual/ diagram and go for it!

DISCLAIMER: My motor is a 3HP and I probably just got lucky, haha.

I am not mechanically inclined... i don't even know what these things do... I will admit, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Guys like me end up getting ripped off, I guess...

I would like to learn... :(

Edited by Wask