Batteries Myth or Fact

jimmer

I keep mine on a shelf all winter as I was told it was the COLD concrete that drained the battery.

I have some mountain property for sale in Florida, real cheap. Now you know which battery guy to stay away from, he's full of it.

It's a myth, Jimmer. It was true 100 years ago when batteries were made of porous materials....not today.

You got a good memory from when you were a teenager. :whistling:

But yes the battery guru's have debunked the concrete issue years ago.

Art

You got a good memory from when you were a teenager. :whistling:

But yes the battery guru's have debunked the concrete issue years ago.

Art

Oh hell yeah art! why, even Woodrow Wilson was a pal of mine just before his death in 1924. He'd regularly write for advice on the German/Mexican alliance in WW1.

And it was an easy fix...I told him to put both Germany and Mexico on ModQ and he was forever grateful.

I keep mine on a shelf all winter as I was told it was the COLD concrete that drained the battery.

COLD is good for the battery. One of the benefits of storing a battery on a concrete floor is that it will help keep the battery cooler which prolongs the life of the battery. Keeping it charged is the most important thing.

In the days when you could go into a garage and find a cat sleeping in the old oil stove the floor was never above freezing in the winter and if you put a warmer battery on the cold floor it would weaken the battery by cooling it. Check it out they say store your battery cold but not below 32deg. The chemistry of a battery makes more power when warm than cold that's why they are rated in cold cranking amps at 0deg and cranking amps at 32deg and marine cranking amps at 80deg. If say a mechanic in 1950 took the battery out of a car that won't start in the winter and left the weak battery on the cold floor chances are it would weaken more if not freeze. Anyway this is where the myth came from, its not the cement its the extreme cold that weakens a battery.

I no longer remove my two boat batteries for winter storage but rather just keep my on-board charger plugged in to maintain them. However, if I did remove them and put them in my basement as I use to I would still put them on a wood board as I was taught even in college (Alfred Tech)...what's so hard about putting a battery on top of a board... :dunno:

Bob

If say a mechanic in 1950 took the battery out of a car that won't start in the winter and left the weak battery on the cold floor chances are it would weaken more if not freeze. Anyway this is where the myth came from, its not the cement its the extreme cold that weakens a battery.

Man, how stories are twisted, many years ago battery cases were made of a porous material, not leaky but just porous enough that the acid could react with the cement, Cement is a base substance (alkaline) and when it reacted with battery acid it neutralized the fluid in the battery, therefore no more electrical reaction or "the battery died" because it was sitting on cement.

Man, how stories are twisted, many years ago battery cases were made of a porous material, not leaky but just porous enough that the acid could react with the cement, Cement is a base substance (alkaline) and when it reacted with battery acid it neutralized the fluid in the battery, therefore no more electrical reaction or "the battery died" because it was sitting on cement.

Fisherman,

I'm with you on this one. It is really funny how information gets all twisted about as it passes from one person to another!

When I bought my Interstate deep cycle the guy at the marina said that Interstate specifically told them to leave the batteries in the boats for outdoor winter storage. I did so, and never had an issue. This year will be my 3rd year with the battery.

I have some mountain property for sale in Florida, real cheap. Now you know which battery guy to stay away from, he's full of it.

Just to clarify you're saying extreme cold won't hurt a battery when exposed to it for an extended period of time?

OK so the battery acid leaks out ,gets neutralized, somehow climbs back into the battery and neutralized the rest of the acid, sounds good to me.

well the cement floors reacted with the battery casing be absorbed and over time would work it's way to the acid and neutralize it

Just to clarify you're saying extreme cold won't hurt a battery when exposed to it for an extended period of time?

Don`t know what your definition of extreme cold is but I have always stored my batteries in a unheated garage over the winter without incident.

Just keep the battery charged.

When a battery is fully charged, (specific gravity of 1.260 or about 12.7 volts measured after charging and waiting a day, that battery will not freeze until you hit about -60), if it gets that cold where you are, I'd be more worried about long underwear :whistling: and having other parts get frosted. I store mine on the cement floor in the garage, although it's heated to about +5C, the floor is pretty close to 0C.

OK so the battery acid leaks out ,gets neutralized, somehow climbs back into the battery and neutralized the rest of the acid, sounds good to me.

Too complicated, for you I'll call it science or magic, take your pick, but that's how it works.

Don`t know what your definition of extreme cold is but I have always stored my batteries in a unheated garage over the winter without incident.

Just keep the battery charged.

When a battery is fully charged, (specific gravity of 1.260 or about 12.7 volts measured after charging and waiting a day, that battery will not freeze until you hit about -60), if it gets that cold where you are, I'd be more worried about long underwear :whistling: and having other parts get frosted. I store mine on the cement floor in the garage, although it's heated to about +5C, the floor is pretty close to 0C.

Interesting.

Okay let's say for the sake of argument you're storing two batteries, one inside, the other outside.

Both aren't topped up.

Will both survive?