1. 1. What

• Spro
    • Snag Proof
    • Tru Tungsten
    • Bass Pro Shops
    • Manns
    • Scum Frog
    • Other

I used the black bronze eye spro all summer last year and prolly missed 1 -2 fish out of countless largies must be a bad 1 or the boddy is harder than mine. I give them a good 3-5 secs after the "blow up" before I set the hook . I use 80lb braid on my frog rod, which is a 7'11" heavy, fast action PT tour edition with a 201 curado. I find with the slop frogs you really have to swing for the fence when ya set,but some guys use 30lb braid with medium weight rods. all depends on what your confidence is in the spro frogs work amazing for me I have 6-8 of them, some guys can't stand them. I also love venom soft plastic frogs they are great but hard to find around my neck of the woods I CANT WAIT to chuck a frog in the reeds.

I have been fishing with frogs for about 4 years now and generally I am very successful with the hookset. This particular black spro gets hit more often than any other frog but there is something not right with it. I always think that it is something I am doing so I continue to try it every once and a while but with the same results. I put on a similar coloured mann's frog and set the hook almost every time. I don't get it. The hooks seem sharp and located in the right place. I even bent them out a bit after missing so many hits. This particular spro frog has a very thick rubber body. As mentioned before it seems thicker than all other frogs and much harder to squeeze. I am sure it is just defective. Like I said, it gets hit more than any other frog so I may have to go to the store and get a new one (I will have to do the squeeze test). In the meanwhile, I have recently bought 4 new frogs. They are Bobby's Perfect frog and I will give them a try this summer.

I'll second the Strike King Rage Toads, and the Yum Frogs in fact I like the yum ones so much I bought 18 packs @ $2 each when they were on clearance at Canadian tire last year. Hook up rates are great with either using a 3/0 or 4/0 widegap hook and have never lost one on a snag when rigged properly

just watch out for pike chewing off the feet!

Here's a few warriors from last summer

johnaug08078.jpg

jjcanoe

caught My PB bass on a Junior spro frog ! I found them to be better then scum frogs. They seemed to move through the slop a bit better. Ill keep using spros until something bad happens... then I will switch haha

Im interested in what kind of rod you guys throw your frogs on ?

Here is what Karl Kalonka told me this morning Alex,

" Right on Mike, Snag Proof makes one heck of a good frog and the hooking % sure go up with the hooks they use; I would suggest a heavy action 7'' St.Croix matched with a reel that can cast those frogs far, so you know I`m using an Ardent reel, either the XS1000 or xs600 and spooled up with 50-65 lb Spider Thread braid. Alter your presentation speeds and cover water."

Hope this helps bud

Frog info (saw some info about rods and reels) generally long rod 7'6"+ high speed reel, heavy line 60lb+ braid.

http://www.delawaretrophybass.com/apps/videos/channels/show/819222-frog-fishing <--assorted frog fishing tips, and mods.

http://www.wfn.tv/video/video.php?video=403233 <---JP is a great educator, you can learn so much from him if you listen carefully.

<--general frog fishing fun

my buddy just baught a 7'11 G-Loomis frog rod.. but its just shy of 300 bones.. so i was wondering what you guys use on here.. maybe a little cheaper

When I was with Okuma a few years ago we got the 7'11 heavy guide select rods, still use'm today. I think the retail was around $120.

I have the loomis too, IMO it's worth the moola, but the guide select has held up to a pretty good amount of fish and salad.

my buddy just baught a 7'11 G-Loomis frog rod.. but its just shy of 300 bones.. so i was wondering what you guys use on here.. maybe a little cheaper

I use a 7-9 Shimano Clarus MH CSC-X79MH. They are around 100 bucks and it has served my well.