Antique rod and reel

vinnimon

Same one.. lying on the floor of my boat house spooled with steel line. An old laker trolling rod..

Bingo!!!!! Wayne, this rod was only used for simcoe lakers back in the 60s or so.I pick it up for 50bcks.A friends grandfathers rod,and he was desperate for dough.Not sure what its worth or what it is exactly, original steel line still on it.Pm me any info if possible.Please and thanks. :)

I have seen a lot of similar set ups. Back in the day that was the way to troll deep. A lot of folks from this area used to go to the Finger Lakes region of New York and also Ontario and use set ups like that.

You can look on ebay and see if there is a similar outfit and get an idea on value.

As a kid in the 50's and then into the 60's myself, brother, Dad and Grandfather used pretty well identical rigs trolling for Lakers on Simcoe. Spooled them with copper line and used large silver Williams Wabblers .

Tough work cranking that big reel full of copper with the 1-1 ratio but we used to put alot of fish in the boat.

Great memories !!

They are quite common and easy to find around flea markets.

I picked one up a few years ago for the wall above my rod building desk, hell it is still spooled with copper line.

Purchased for a grand total of $5.00.

Way to go Speil !!!!!!!!

burst his bubble.

kick him where it hurts.

:tease: ~~~~ :rofl2:

it's ok vinni,

yours is unique, and its a collectors piece.

1 day your grand kids will have it and they will tell all there friends

"look at what grampa use to use for fishing".

Edited by skeeter

Bingo!!!!! Wayne, this rod was only used for simcoe lakers back in the 60s or so.I pick it up for 50bcks.A friends grandfathers rod,and he was desperate for dough.Not sure what its worth or what it is exactly, original steel line still on it.Pm me any info if possible.Please and thanks. :)

They are quite common and easy to find around flea markets.

I picked one up a few years ago for the wall above my rod building desk, hell it is still spooled with copper line.

Purchased for a grand total of $5.00.

Vinnimon Here's just a few I've had given to me and bought over just a few years. Watch how much you pay, Grand total hear is about $40.00 In fact the wooden one in the middle is going to Spiel if he wants it. I had it dropped off just the other day. The bottom 2 are Shimano Bull Whips, top is a steel rod,2nd is a Whirl Away Great Lakes Imperial, 3rd I think it's an ice fishing jigging rod I think you can still buy the rod. The one you just bought, I have a few buddys that have them hanging in there garage.

dscn0701s.jpg

Don't let them fool yaaa Vinnimon that their is a genuine Catfish 2000 fishin combo. It was made in the 50's and early 60's by the Arrow company The red 3 means it was the later version than 1 and 2. It was used mainly as a "he man" bragging tool but soon lost favor because most men found it made it too difficult to open a beer after catching a fish. The company folded and retooled and now produces easy open beer cans and is making a fortune in the fishing world.

Hope this helps.

Art

Don't let them fool yaaa Vinnimon that their is a genuine Catfish 2000 fishin combo. It was made in the 50's and early 60's by the Arrow company The red 3 means it was the later version than 1 and 2. It was used mainly as a "he man" bragging tool but soon lost favor because most men found it made it too difficult to open a beer after catching a fish. The company folded and retooled and now produces easy open beer cans and is making a fortune in the fishing world.

Hope this helps.

Art

HAHAHAHA You're a funny dude, Art.

I have two of those bullwhips as well ....also had two of the Whirlaways. My dad bought two in the late 50's for my brother and I. Loved those rods cause they could cast a mile. I was impressed by how expensive they were (at the time). I think they sold for $27.00

Thanks guys,I recall owing him 20 and he was hard up for cash.So I offered him 50 in total incl monies owed.The rod was in exchange for lent money.Security deposit :rofl2: And I wanted it,for a future rec room.I may give it a go on simcoe ,just once, and then to be parked on the wall.

Hope this helps.

Art

who knew Virginia had equivalent bud to B.C. :dunno:

Farmer, how attached to the Bull Whips are ya?

Sorry Harrison, I didn't get back to you. Just got back from pickin Fiddle heads. The small Bull Whip is the wifes and the other I bought at the Police auction. I don't want to part with them. Thanks anyway

Ive had this rod and reel for a little while.I checked sites on antique rods.None matched the marks on the old label.Any help would be great.Sorry about individual reply pics.Thanks in advance.

The reel was made by " Lucky Strike " I see yours is mounted flat to the rod, the one Dad had when I was a kid mounted in the normal way, it had a braided copper line on it. This link shows it.

http://ontariolures.com/reels/luckystrikereel.html

Sorry Harrison, I didn't get back to you. Just got back from pickin Fiddle heads. The small Bull Whip is the wifes and the other I bought at the Police auction. I don't want to part with them. Thanks anyway

Great rods Farmer! Police auctions can be a steal if you hit the right one. I got a 13ft and 6ft Team Daiwa rods at one, as well as a leather wallet, scope, $20 mountain bike, and a stihl crete saw.

Never know what you can get at one!