Trout Beads

super dave

Where do you guys purchase yours? Do you just buy regular beads at the bead store or order from somewhere like Trout beads .com? Do these make a difference?

I got a guide booked in BC on the fraser and he said he normally uses beads for the bulls there. Would like to stock up on some before.

Thanks.

My 2 friends who guide up in Alaska buy their beads from regular craft stores in different colours and sizes. They have orange and pink ones but a good bulk of their collection are plain white or beige ones which they paint with nail polish (in various shades of red, orange, peach, etc) and a variety of other paints (like powdered dyes) to match the exact lifecycle of the eggs in the river (sometimes they paint each bead individually)…Sounds kinda insane that they go through all that work but having the wrong coloured bead might not get you any fish at all during prime time up there.

Good luck in BC. Keep us posted on how you do...I've gotten a sudden urge to visit some family who I've never seen before who live minutes away from the Fraser :whistling::Gonefishing:

Mike

I buy mine in Alaska at the various tackle shops I go to. I always buy plain beads and do my own painting.

You can get them through TroutBeads.com or purchase when you get to BC from tackle shops there. If you wait until you get there you will be able to get the right colour beads for the conditions and save some $$$.

Beads.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Purchased a few hundred in different sizes and colours, glass fauceted, gemstone rings, etc for spinnerbaits I'm building.

ebay from Chinese sellers.

Edited by Syn

Thanks for the replies.

Drifter, how do you paint yours?

I do them a couple of ways.

One is to stick them on tooth picks and stick the tooth pick into a sheet of styrofoam and paint individually (using differnet shades of nail polish) (light pink/peach beads with a little orange nail polish is pretty good) and the second is to use a small tupperware container (baby food jar size) and foil. I use flat white testors spray paint and squirt a little bit in the container, throw in some bead, put the top on the container and shake. If the beads are too white I add more beads and shake again, do this until you get the right shade. I then pour them out onto a piece of tin foil that has the edges turned up so the little rascals don't try to escape. :lol: