Musky reels?

DANIMAL

I'm going to be buying a couple new musky reels soon and I'm looking for some ideas on wich to buy. I've been using Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C4's and I really like the high speed 6.3 gear ratio, but they just ware out too fast. Does anybody here know of any higher quality high speed musky reels.

It really depends on your budget. With high speed ratio I assume you don't troll a lot. Still quite a few using C4s but they're really not well rated.

What type of fishing do you do mostly?

When casting most baits for muskies I use 400 series Calcutta CT's & TE's but for burning baits or using jerk or twitch baits where fast line retrieve is neccesary, I like the larger spool reels as suggested by Dax and use 7000 series Abu's.

Their big reels but bring in line very fast and with the power handles they also work well for cranking the large double bladed Cowgirl type baits with blades up to #13.

The quality in the Abu reels is poor but at only about $150 it doesn't hurt too bad when they fall apart after a year or two.

I cast more than troll, but I use seperate low gear ratio line counter reels for trolling. I really like high speed reels for all casting, even hard pulling baits. I'm looking for a high quality reel like a calcutta with at least a 6:1 gear ratio. I'm not to sure if such a thing even exists, but I thought I would ask.

look at a shimano calcutta. lots of sizes and speeds u can pick from, or the curado 300E low profile reel with a big spool and line capacity

I was checking out the shimano website and only the small size calcutta comes in a high gear ratio. The curado you mentioned looks interesting. I'm going to look in to that one.

After burning out 13 Abu 6500 C3 in 2008 season, I stopped using them completely and staring playing around with a few other reels last season. I used the Shimano Curado 300 all last season and liked it for most lures and another guide I know also used his the last 2 seasons and really liked it. I did find burning larger bucktails with it was tough. I've had a Calcutta for 8 years now and it's still going strong with no service. I've heard some good reviews on the Abu Revo winch if you're looking for a low profile reel with some power.

Best over-all casting reel in my opinion is the Calcutta.

Good luck,

After burning out 13 Abu 6500 C3 in 2008 season, I stopped using them completely and staring playing around with a few other reels last season. I used the Shimano Curado 300 all last season and liked it for most lures and another guide I know also used his the last 2 seasons and really liked it. I did find burning larger bucktails with it was tough. I've had a Calcutta for 8 years now and it's still going strong with no service. I've heard some good reviews on the Abu Revo winch if you're looking for a low profile reel with some power.

Best over-all casting reel in my opinion is the Calcutta.

Good luck,

I've got to ask; how did you burn out 13 C3's in a season? And why would you go through 13 of them before switching? 13 Abu's in one season but 8 seasons of use from the Calcutta. That cannot be typical. I can't imagine the reels were being used in a similar fashion.

I've got to ask; how did you burn out 13 C3's in a season? And why would you go through 13 of them before switching? 13 Abu's in one season but 8 seasons of use from the Calcutta. That cannot be typical. I can't imagine the reels were being used in a similar fashion.

Guiding in GBay tends to do that to equipment me thinks..

you'll definitely love the calcutta, esp if you get the TE....

same convo goin on at the fishon board....my big thing with the c4's is that their thumb bars suck...plastic and very flexible...when trolling a big bait i'd have to pull some slack in my line befoer i could depress the thumb bar, ie if i wanted to let a few more feet out....I personally like the push button release on the abu's

Why not try the new Abu Revo Toro? Comes in both 50 and 60 sizes as well as low and high speed versions for each size. It Comes with a power handle as an accessory. I don't fish musky but I've put it up against a couple big cats this year and it has been a pleasure. It casts really well, especially given it has a synchronized level-wind. An added plus is when you're done casting and want to troll, it has a line-out alarm. I got mine off the auction site for just over $200 to my door.