Switching from IE to Firefox

lew

I'm having a couple issues with the new board and I'm thinking if I get rid of Internet Explorer and switch over to something different everything will work better. Everybody says IE isn't that good anyhoo.

Most folks I talk to recommend Firefox so I thought I'll give it a try and from what I found on Google it looks like 3.6 is the version to go with ??

Only question I have....for now anyways....if I decide for whatever reason I don't like Firefox, can I simply uninstall it to get back to IE, then try something different again ??

To answer your question Lew, yes you can un-install. You can run both IE & Firefox too if you so choose. Firefox will also give you the option of importing your bookmarks from IE when you install it.

I'm having a couple issues with the new board and I'm thinking if I get rid of Internet Explorer and switch over to something different everything will work better. Everybody says IE isn't that good anyhoo.

Most folks I talk to recommend Firefox so I thought I'll give it a try and from what I found on Google it looks like 3.6 is the version to go with ??

Only question I have....for now anyways....if I decide for whatever reason I don't like Firefox, can I simply uninstall it to get back to IE, then try something different again ??

Lew, if you decide it's not for you, Firefox is easy to remove. A few years ago, it was clearly better than IE. I don't know if that's still the case, because after switching, I simply never went back.

Been using Firefox since 2004. Love it much better than IE. Some websites only load up with IE so it’s good to have around – There’s an extension you can load on Firefox to get it to load 'IE only pages' but it only works sporadically for me. You can have both browsers on your computer with no problems. Firefox is easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

I find FireFox loads pages faster than IE on my computer and the extensions you can download for it are useful. All-in-one gestures and adblock are my favourites.

My dad switched over to Google Chrome and likes it. I might check that one out myself. It’s another browser option to play around with.

Lew,

I have been using Firefox for a long time and just love the add-ons and themes you can get for it. The "ad block Plus" add-on is great. There is even an add-on to remove "Super Cookies". You are right about the version 3.6, it is the latest. When getting add-ons just make sure you pick the ones that are compatible with the version of Firefox you have installed.

I keep IE to use when I Update Windows manually because the Microsoft site wants you to use IE for all updates to windows. So having both won't cause you any problems. You can switch back and forth as you like and if sometime you want to uninstall Firefox that won't be a problem either. For the life of me though I don't know why you would want to uninstall Firefox.

If you want to try a different browser you can still download and install them too with no problems from Firefox, whether it is still installed or not. I tried Chrome when it first came out and didn't like it. The latest version of Chrome might be better now, I really don't know.

I also have tried Opera a long time ago and liked it a lot. I also have Safari from Apple Software installed on my computer and tried it but hardly ever use it now.

I always seem to come back to Firefox. If you have multiple browsers on your computer just make sure you select the one you like as your default browser and use the others as needed.

Tom.

Edited by Overcast

I've installed and tried Firefox several times over the years. Unfortunately some of the work related software I use doesn't like to dance with Firefox so I always end up going back to IE in whatever incarnation is currently available. My point is that as good as Firefox may be it doesn't suit everyone (like me) so don't look for it to be the ultimate solution for you. That being said I sure wouldn't hesitate to try it if I were you. Just make it your default browser while you try it out. As someone said you don't need to uninstall IE. In fact it's a good idea to keep it handy in case you run into something that Firefox doesn't wanna play with like I have.

JF

Hi Lew;

In Apsley I am using a "stick" type internet connection.

Firefox seems to work faster with that hook-up.

When I first changed over, it took awhile to get used to things.

I still use IE for the library's audio book selections, which don't seem to load on Firefox. There's no problem having both on your machine.

Garry

Firefox and Chrome and Opera are the best three in that order (IMHO).

Firefox wins hands down. Increasing the http.pipelining to 16 and max-persistent connections triples Firefox's already fast speed to blazing fast. I installed it on Julies laptop and tweaked it for her and she LOVES it.

Like others mentioned, the add-ons for it make it the best. As you get more experience with it you keep adding new gadgets... Stumbleupon being my fave.

Of course I know all members have set Ad Block plus to allow on this site :D

You cannot uninstall IE as far as I know anyway. It is a core component of windows...which is why it is a risk.

You cannot uninstall IE as far as I know anyway. It is a core component of windows...which is why it is a risk.

i did it on my computer with XP and have had no problems in a few years. thing is i forget how i did it. i do know that it took me quite a few google searches to find out how to do it and it was a pain in the butt. not really worth it for the average joe...

Firefox and Chrome and Opera are the best three in that order (IMHO).

Firefox wins hands down. Increasing the http.pipelining to 16 and max-persistent connections triples Firefox's already fast speed to blazing fast. I installed it on Julies laptop and tweaked it for her and she LOVES it.

Like others mentioned, the add-ons for it make it the best. As you get more experience with it you keep adding new gadgets... Stumbleupon being my fave.

Of course I know all members have set Ad Block plus to allow on this site :D

The only thing I dislike about Firefox are the bookmarks. I like the ease of use of the IE bookmarks better.

That is about the only thing I like about IE though. <_<

i installed firefox... not too impressed with it... had to manually do the favorites/bookmarks... didn't work on the install...

not impressed also it says not connected when i open it up...

dissappointed to be honest cause many rave about it the program, me i'm not impressed

Firefox blazes ahead of other browsers...

IE is garbage imo, chrome is decent, and may be just as good as firefox, but i like the look and feel of firefox much better.

The new personas add on is very cool about firefox...lets you customize your browser, very neat.

I've been using Firefox for a few years and I've always felt it leaves IE in the dust.

Some mention of page loading problems here... I haven't experienced that in a long time.

The bookmarks in Firefox are way better than IE, so is the tabbed browsing.

For a really great image search add-on, try "Cooliris". Also very useful - "CoolPreviews" and "Read it Later". I wouldn't do without those add-ons now.