Brush with "greatness" NF

Headhunter

Because I repaired drains and water services for the City of Toronto I met a few. The first that comes to mind is August Schillinberg{star of free Willy and many other movies that required a native to play the role. It was a cold night and I had a crew repairing a leak on his water service . He invited me in I had coffee with him and his wife. He even gave me two autographged pictures of himself and the whale to give to my kids. Another one is Eugene Levy. He had a drain problem and was constantly asking me questions but in a very friendly way mind you his wife was a total carp. Excuse my language.

Edited by Eddyk

I have been blessed with meeting a lot of famous people. When I was a kid I talked to and shook hands with President FDR. I also had a very short conversation with Blood and Guts. Gen. Patton. I danced with the million dollar legs Betty Grable. Also with Heddy Lamar. Met and talked to Ike. Had dinner with Ester Williams. Fished with Hall of Famer Homer LeBlanc (He was Canadian) Met a lot of politicians but I don't call them famous just infamous. Oh. my older Brother Roland was the Mayor of Hope New Jersey. Met a few of Mishigan Govs. also not famous. There are others but these are the main ones. Good Fishing. Bob

PS Forgot used to walk to school with Betty Hutton.

I did have autographed Baseball cards from the Tigers and Yankees from the 30s. I had an uncle that went to most of their games.

My Dad pitched 3 games for the Yankees in 1908. One of the main things about Dad was he taught me how to fish.. I only outfished him 2 times in 49 years.

Edited by Robert Brunner Sr

Ya Irishfield, and she'd donate that to someone that need it if they would let her!

I've met a lot of very giving people but Maureen has to top the list!

As far as meeting someone quite interesting; Oh, I have met a lot of very interesting people but one that sort of stands out:

last October I was invited to spend a night at one of Ray Scott's private lodges in Montgomery AL. It is located on about 11,000 acres of land with it's own private lake (if you don't know who Ray Scott is, just type his name into Google)

It wasn't "posh" but it was very comfortable and there weren't servents although I had the pleasure of meeting with a number of people that work for him. This is a lodge that several famous people have stayed at in the past including a number of the Bush Family. (I don't think my name will ever be in the Whos who book, LOL). Anyway, the following day I had the pleasure of meeting Ray in person. he is in his 70's but it sure doesn't show. His eyes are clear, his mind aleart, his hand firm and strong and he has a wonderful sense of humor. Just talking with him you knew he was someone special but not because he tried to make you believe it, you could just feel it!

I only got to spend a little while with him but it was something I will always remember!

Edited by Big Cliff

Guest Trophymuskie

Back in the early 80's I was fortunate enough to get my picture taken with Barbarella while she was visiting the Pink panther in Hull. I also got a signed poster, man that would be a collectors item if only I knew where it was.

I've bumped into a lot of athletes back when I lived in Montreal but I'll never forget my meeting Andree the Giant back before he became famous. I was 7 and I remember his hand been enormous around mine. LOL

ive met several nascar drivers, jack roush is from my home county. got to meet jack,greg biffle, mark martin at michigan, we were with jacks brother and they all came over to the motor home and hung out a while. i met sterling marlin and jamie mcmurray a couple years ago in bristol. sterling is a real down to earth guy.

ive also met a few country singers, my fraternity always helped set up the stage for the acts when i was in college. tracy lawerance was pretty good, chris leduex was as common of a guy as you will ever meet, just a good ol cowboy. mila mason who was as hott as anything ive ever seen was ready to come back to the fraternity house till her manager told her no! :angry: nba player brian grant played in our schools leage and i went to college with his brother, he's a very nice guy and gives alot to the community.

thats about it as for stardom.

i do hope to get a chance to fish with some of the great fishing icons on here of course.

I talk to Bobby Bond several times. He was friends with a friends dad.

Also painted his house.

Talk with Neil Pert several times.The guy I did landscaping for had the

contract to do maintenance around his house.

Party will Frankie Venom and the boys several times.

Party with Joey Ramon and the boys.

Drank with Shawn O'Sullivan at the chick & deli.

Had a beer with Emerson Phedapaldi(spelling,the race car driver).

Have met quit a few hockey personalities.

Darrel Sittler

Ron Ellis

Dave Keon

Don Cherry

Punch Imlak

Both Perronts

Bobby Oar

Both Esposito's

Ken Dryden

And coarse MISTER HOCKEY. Gordie Howe

Got pick up by Cristie McNichols at the Ottawa winter carnival.She was some kind of TV star.

I got to go backstage and meet John Prine in the mid 80's.I live in an area where the Redskins practice so more than a few of them have paid me for the pleasure of meeting me..hahaha.Joe Thiesman,Russ Grimm,Dexter Manley,Dave Butts but prolly my favorite is Charlie Taylor.He loves to fish and talk,he tried to drag Art out on his boat to a bar where he was judging a wet T-shirt contest.

Joe

Miss Universe? You mean the former wife of Marc Anthony who is now married to Jennifer Lopez?

If you like that type, I guess...

Paddler, I bow.

I've had relationships with a lot of verrry impressive women too, but only one of them ever noticed.

Edited by douG

Wow will my age be showing on this one. I'll try to remember some of the more famous people I have had the opportunity to meet. Remember I grew up in Chicago and before and even after moving to Canada in the late 70's traveled about 2 to 3 weeks of each month for the company I then worked for....so here it goes.

While in my teens ( an having a fake ID ) I had the opportunity to sit with Louis Armstrong in his dressing room and share a beer or two while he was doing a show in a lounge in South Bend Indiana. My best friend at the time was related to Rudi Blesh and since Louis knew Rudi well there was an invite to the dressing room after the first set.

We used to frequent the Blues and Jazz bars in the old and new town districts of Chicago and I had the opportunity to share some beers with ( in no particular order ) Muddy Waters, The Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond and a few more.

When Jo and I got married two of the guests at the wedding were Stan Mikita and Glen Hall. The Mikita's were friends of her family. The bar was very busy when Stan was the bartender for about a half hour.

Through all the air travel I did in the late 60' 70's and 80's I sat with Knolton Nash when he was anchor of the National a few times while flying with Air Canada, also flew with Peter Mansbridge before he was the anchor. Flew with the Boston Bruins, New York Rangers who were put on our flight when their planes had some trouble. The music group Chilliwack, skater Josee Chouinard to name a few. Since the 90's when we started and ran our own business only person anyone would know is a guy by the name of T.J. Quesnel...and by the way as him what the letters stand for!

Edited by Garyv

Since the 90's when we started and ran our own business only person anyone would know is a guy by the name of T.J. Quesnel...and by the way as him what the letters stand for!

Tiny Johnson? :dunno::whistling: .....as in Trolling Motor..

Edited by irishfield

My brush with true greatness are the Doctors and Nurses at Sick Kids Hospital that saved my youngest son's life when he was born two Christmas eve's ago with a very serious heart defect.

Unfortunately we're going to be seeing a lot more of them very soon as he's going back in for open heart surgery within the month.

I've never understood the celeb on a pedestal thing, it's our public servants, Police, Fire, EMS, Military, Doctors, Nurses and the like..... these are the people who truly exemplify the word "Greatness" to me.

I've never understood the celeb on a pedestal thing, it's our public servants, Police, Fire, EMS, Military, Doctors, Nurses and the like..... these are the people who truly exemplify the word "Greatness" to me.

I'm not saying they are bigger than Jesus, or better than Jesus, I was just sayin!

I think maybe the title of this thread should have been "brush with celebs" cause I think that is what Headhunter was trying to get at in the first place.

Joey

Edited by Joey

Miss Universe? You mean the former wife of Marc Anthony who is now married to Jennifer Lopez?

If you like that type, I guess...

Paddler, I bow.

I've had relationships with a lot of verrry impressive women too, but only one of them ever noticed.

This post has been edited by douG: Today, 08:30 PM

LOL! :P Yes douG, one in the same, she was indeed married to (gag) Marc Antony. Is there a greasier human being in the public eye?