Simcoe with BillM and Wallacio

douG

The phone traffic on Friday night decided the toss – South shore of Erie with Solopaddler for steelhead, or Simcoe with BillM for lakers and whitefish. I’m sure that Mike had a great day off the shore somewhere or other, but that was a prime afternoon on the hardwater with Bill and Wallacio (Davey). The weather could not have been finer. There were also 5 less hours on the road by going to Simcoe instead of Erie, and I had a good feeling about beating my lifetime laker/whitefish skunk on the Lady.

I met with BillM and Wallacio at the reasonable hour of 6:45 at 9th line where we suited up and headed out. We went out an incredible 7 miles onto Simcoe, with seatbelts off and windows open.

This was the view back to the shore we left from.

P1040143.jpg

Dave was the first onto a whitey that couldn’t commit to fresh air, quickly followed by another by Bill with the same issue.

P1040150.jpg

P1040149.jpg

The action died after that, and we crossed the pressure crack and popped a few more holes.

Speaking of augers, Dave and Bill did about 30 holes today with manual augers, 14- 18 inches of clear ice everywhere. Dave had a 6 inch drill, while Bill worked an 8 incher. They were Normarks, with sticky sharp blades, and they were incredible. I only drilled a few holes, but now I understand why some folks won’t buy a power auger when they know what a good manual drill can do.

P1040144.jpg

P1040145.jpg

P1040146.jpg

Around 11 am, a gold Williams ice spoon found a weight.

P1040151.jpg

P1040152.jpg

P1040153.jpg

P1040155.jpg

P1040156.jpg

It was my first Simcoe whitefish, and a beauty.

There were lots of folks on the ice today, with a couple of those high maintenance flighty types.

P1040165.jpg

BillM and Solopaddler are both great guys. A thing they share is a burning yearning to put new friends onto fish, and Bill did a fine job today.

Thanks to Dave and Bill for a great day. We will fish again.

P1040167.jpg

Edited by douG

Yeah, it was a great day for sure. The weather was absolutely perfect, however we could have used the melt a bit sooner to soften that ride out this morning. Hooked up in the first 10mins but lost it about 10ft down... Moved a few more times and hooked up again, with something really nice which again popped the hook... Ah well, what can ya do!!

My mission for the day was to get Doug on a whitefish and it was mission accomplished when he brought that brute up through the hole.. Last day out on the ice for me, bring on the steel and the opener!!!!

And Doug, that sandwich was awesome!!!

Edited by BillM

yall got balls ...ill give ya that ...holy crap ...but not as big as the dudes that dropped the airplanes on the ice....im pretty sure you guys know what your doing...i almost crapped my drawers just looking at the pics of land in the horizon...

i think i just exposed myself as an ice wooosey :oops:

Doug makes the best sandwiches ,south of Barrie.

:thumbsup_anim::worthy:

Congrats bud, on a great catch. :D

Our buddy Meely might challange your statement Brian...He taught doogles how to make them g'weeches... :lol:

Meelly, that Calabrese Grande, for sure taught me the spirit of the Italian sandwich / sangweech / gweech.

You need to start with a nice Calabrese panino, a mid size crusty bun. Then you need some salami, cappicola, pastrami, your choice. I've heard that some don't like ham, or prosciutto, or stuff like that. Or pickles. Bill.

Slice the buns, pile high with your cold cuts, and use butter, caesar salad dressing, mustard or pickles. I like an aged provolone cheese sliced thin to add that last little kick.