SALMON DERBY

BITEME

Is it just me or is anyone else chuffed off about the prizes for the salmon derby this year.

I really want to know who approved that.

I gotta tell you I dont think I will enter this year for the simple fact that I dont want to fish for a car I want a Boat

Very disapointing

Just my Rant

Peter :wallbash:

Sell the car, buy yourself a boat and have money left over. Lol. Good on Toyota to step up to the plate. What happened to Lund, recession got the better of them I guess. Just make sure to lube the gas pedal on the Matrix if you win. Sorry could not resist :lol:

At least make it all trucks! Who the hell wants a Matrix! Like anyone would really want a Defective Toyota right now. Thats the most lame prize list I have ever seen them offer up yet! With all the problems Toyota is having, they probably got those cars for rock bottom dollar! What a rip! lol

I am pretty sure I will save my money this year and not buy in.

Ab

Edited by Abraxus

At least make it all trucks! Who the hell wants a Matrix! Like anyone would really want a Defective Toyota right now. Thats the most lame prize list I have ever seen them offer up yet! With all the problems Toyota is having, they probably got those cars for rock bottom dollar! What a rip! lol

I am pretty sure I will save my money this year and not buy in.

Ab

Toyota prolly donated it they are huge sponsors for many outdoor related events. You guys can all just go fish for fun with the chance at winning nothing. I mean really $75 for a chance to win a car worth $20000 like they said before sell it, I pay more for 1 day tournies with a first prize of $12-1300 tops wish they had this for bass tournies whats it run for 6 weeks? If I had 6 weeks to fish for bass I'm pretty sure I could bring in a few hawgs to weigh in go fish the tourny have fun and if ya win bonus if ya don't atleast you weren't working.

imagine the encouragement you would receive from your wife to go fishing for the rest of your life if you gave her a new car....people get all bent out of shape regarding the prizes in derbys ....i dont understand why ....yeah its nice to get a new boat but honestly ...if you cant justify the price of gas through your boat or the cost of an entry ticket ...then imo you shouldnt be fishing in derbys..the prizes are nice should the fishing gods shine on your rods...but the adventure of the catch is what its all about and the people you meet along the way ....i religiously buy my derby tickets every year ...and there have been years i didnt even fish in it....these derbys are NOT for the sole purpose of giving away prizes...they keep our hatcheries going so you can catch fish all year long

Apparently the prize structure for the Chantry Chinook Classic has been reformatted again too

Good Luck to all that do enter your rewards may not happen during the derby times...but im sure they will when your pounding the tribs

I will agree! You certainly have a valid point! Having said this, that tournament brings in a ton of money. It is for charity, but the number of fishermen that actually buy tags is quite enormous. As such, I think the least they can do is cater to the interests of thier participants. I havent seen many fishermen towing a Lake Ontario sized fishing craft with a Toyota Matrix! lol

I will agree! You certainly have a valid point! Having said this, that tournament brings in a ton of money. It is for charity, but the number of fishermen that actually buy tags is quite enormous. As such, I think the least they can do is cater to the interests of thier participants. I havent seen many fishermen towing a Lake Ontario sized fishing craft with a Toyota Matrix! lol

i have won soo many non fishing related items over the years its crazy...power tools/golf supplies etc.....any prize i never wanted i would give to someone that would appreciate it ...personally when i pick up a power tool i won in a derby ...it still to this day makes me feel good inside that my passion for fishing provided it ....i dont golf EVER so its a good thing to be a golfer around me should i be fortunate enough to win Golf equipment

boat boat boat

Agreed...while a car would be cool, it would still make me feel much better to get to fellow anglers "Yah I won this boat in the Salmon Derby." while you are at the docks, or on the water with it. Not in a bragging way or anything, but it would just make me feel alot more proud.

Plus, in 5 years that Toyota's gonna be a rusted piece of crap, where as your boat will still be just fine...

BTW it's not $75, it's a $100, they say it's "7 derbies, 7 weeks", it would be nice if they actually had the opportunity to buy weekly tickets for less, say around $20-25, but they'll have no part of it. Not everyone can afford that kind of money to get out just a couple times, some live a little further away, can't get the time off, etc. Sooo, I'll donate to the Tyler event, at least I know it's local to my area and going to a great cause and everyone has fun.

BTW it's not $75, it's a $100, they say it's "7 derbies, 7 weeks", it would be nice if they actually had the opportunity to buy weekly tickets for less, say around $20-25, but they'll have no part of it. Not everyone can afford that kind of money to get out just a couple times, some live a little further away, can't get the time off, etc. Sooo, I'll donate to the Tyler event, at least I know it's local to my area and going to a great cause and everyone has fun.

Last time I looked it was $75 but I don't fish it so it doesn't matter to me. This discusion happens about tournies all the time they should do this or that not enough of this to much of that bottom line is they can't cater to everyone if they listened to all the complainers they would be free entry and aveyone would win a $70000 boat and a $70000 truck to pull it with lol its a charity tourny if you can afford fish it if not don't if ya like the prizes fish it etc ect. Good on ya for supporting a local charity sometimes staying close to home makes more sence. BTW has anyone contacted the orginizers about the prizes might be better than complaining here. Like I said I don't fish it but I would love to see a bass tourny like this instead of big stinky nooks lol. Just my opinion.

I don't know if anyone has contacted them for this years prize packages, however the idea of weekly tickets has been mentioned numerous times with absolutely no interest from them. I wouldnt say I complained, just a reasonable suggestion that I'm sure would give some others the opportunity to enter the event, albeit they may/would have to settle for less of a prize package. Just an idea.

I am on another board dedicated to Salmon and Trout fishing on Lake O, and there have been several threads about the same concerns. I went as far as asking Walter (The owner of the GOSD), to set up a meeting with various parties that have vested interests in the derby, including Charters and us Joe Shmoes. He didn't respond.

He runs a great derby for people who want to get into the sport of Salmon fishing or just starting out, including us "vetrans. There are many people that are willing to sit down and help him make a good derby greater. But for what ever reason he doesn't respond to anyone who writes a post to him directly, and I don't think there is any point in PMing him directly.

As far as prizes, guys you need to remember, the prizes are arranged months before they are even announced, and Walter does try to make it as interesting as possible. So remember to make sure everyone gets their facts straight before you start bashing the guy. Remember this... what's here today can be cancelled tomorrow. The hunt from what I re memberhas been been cancelled at least twice since the mid 80's, and I for one would not want to see it gone. It does a lot of good for many people. Some might say, the GOSD has sustained an industry during current tough economic times.

Walter O, if you do read this, take the time and meet with those who want to see the GOSD the best Salmon derby that is east of the Pacific Ocean, north and south of the border!!!!

The boats would be better for sure, but Lund bailed.

Toyota picked up the slack so I give them nothing but credit.

I know it's minor but I would be complaining about the boats not being there, and also a little thankful that at least they got replaced by cars.

Lund = $30gs

Toyota = $20gs

ticket when lund was prize = $100

ticket with toyota as prize = $100

prize value $10gs less, ticket price stays the same... hmmmmm

either way $100 to win a $20g toyota is still a good deal...

people will always complain, regardless

I stopped buying tickets after they went from $50 to $75

everyone has a choice to enter or not...