Packable Rain Jackets

atvaholic

Hi, im trying to decide on an entry level rain jacket/wind breaker. I plan to do some canoeing and portaging.

i found two that seem in my price range, and went to see them.

First there is this one

I went to try it. It seems to be the better built of the two (slightly). It is a bit heavier, as it seems to have a "mesh" layer inside - not sure why this is. This one also has a pouch to stow away the hood - the other does not.

I also tried this one:

This one is a fraction lighter. The zipper is not as good. But the one thing I do like is that it has some vents for heat to escape - the first one does not.

i will be using this for some spring and early summer canoeing/fishing/portaging. i'm a big guy so rowing that boat will work up a big sweat. Do you think this will be an issue with the first one (even if I layer down?) They are both nylon, I dont know how "breathable" they are.

Have you tried Hikers Haven in Oakville?I go their time to time and man they have some good deals.They also mark down their prices on high end gear, clothing etc.Alot of the times their cheaper then the big retail outlets.And alot more customer freindly than ctc or wallmart.Just my 2cnts worth.

you'll sweat you ballz off. those are not breathable in the least bit.

i'd opt for some lightweight goretex.

my opinion, with raingear (and lots of other stuff) buy the best stuff you can afford. that way you only buy it once.

as others have suggested, goretex would be the way to go because you will hopefully only have to buy it once...

you mentioned the worry of sweat, and myself and others will confirm it... you WILL sweat in those suits. the BP one claims to be breathable but not reading over the details atm...

look for a goretex paclite material. MEC usually sells them at a reasonable price.

but if you don't mind the sweat and are truly on a budget, then go for whichever you like the most :)

Aww, what do you know about tackle anyway..... :lol::whistling::whistling:

A private schoolin' by JP himself. I'd be listening.

I've bought two sets of Road Toads for riding a motorcycle. 1st set worked fine, then my g/f's dog ate them when they were drying out one night. 2nd set didn't last ten minutes before it started disintegrating. Granted the speeds were a little higher than you might see on your average fishing trip but I'd be leery of the quality.

If you're not going to splurge on higher end breathables you're better off just getting some sturdy rubbers and limiting your exertion when wearing it.

The thing with the Frog Toggs is that they are meant for fishing... driving a motorcycle at speeds in excess of 120 kmh will definitely tear the seams and would probably do it to most jackets not designed for that kind of force. I have put them through some pretty good speeds, 70 plus mph in the boat but I also have a console blocking the wind.

The problem with heavy rubber is the fact that you will sweat like you're wearing a garbage bag... having that wet feeling, especially on our humid days like we so often get here in Ontario is very uncomfortable. The Frog Toggs are not for cold days, they are a light suit that can be packed into a small bag. Probably weighs less than a pound for the pants and jacket. A lot of guys down South stuff them into a medium sized Zip Lock bag and keep them in the boat or in their bag in case of an emergency.

I have been caught on Erie in torrential downpours wearing them and the only place I got wet was when it leaked down my neck from driving into the rain with the boat. They don't have a flap like the good gortex suits but then again, as a back up they are well less than $100.

Hi, located in Niagara. Not sure what "MEC" stands for....

So is gore-tex that good that it's worth 3 - 4x the cost? Just curious...

Mountain Equipment Coop. There's one in burlington as well. Not unlike REI in the US. If you're in Niagara you might consider driving across the border on a rainy day and coming back wearing one from REI :-).

I have a few friends who use Frogg Toggs and they're very happy with them. All I have now is a very heavy Wetskins suit and my next rainwear purchase will be Frogg Toggs. Check out the clickable link. They have quite the variety and list the dealers where you can buy these things.

Frog Toggs are on sale at Bass Pro right now! Under $100 for top and bottom.

Being a big guy is often a good thing when shopping for high end raingear (clothes in general)..... it goes on sale because they have trouble moving it. I'd check Mountain Equipment Coop for a sale.

Dan O.