NF: What do you shave with?

BillM

Shave with whatever she brings home for me to shave with Bill.

Not fussy on razors... as long as their not rusted or haven't seen a pair of legs or testes, I'm good to use it.

I was right with you till the Testes thing. :P

Art

Okay Bill, I googled your razer so I now know what you are talking about but I am not sure why.

What made you want to try this razor? I do the soap/brush thing so I get that (even though its a pain at times to find shaving soap) but am unclear as to why you would go retro on the blade?

Please clarify.

Jim

Okay Bill, I googled your razer so I now know what you are talking about but I am not sure why.

What made you want to try this razor? I do the soap/brush thing so I get that (even though its a pain at times to find shaving soap) but am unclear as to why you would go retro on the blade?

Please clarify.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I find I get a way better shave with a lot less irritation with a DE compared to a disposable. I can actually shave upwards on my neck with my DE and not end up with a burning face after it's all said and done. It also doesn't get clogged up like my Mach3 used to... I can make one pass, regardless of how long I've left my beard and it will be as smooth as a babies ass. I'd need 2 or 3 passes with a Mach 3 to get the same result.. Also the blades on the Mach 3 tend to pull then cut your facial hair, this is how you end up with irritation.. I did some research and decided to give it a try..

Sure the prep takes longer, but for me it's an enjoyable 5-10mins or so... :)

That's interesting stuff, something I don't pay much attention to. I'm still a Tracll Plus kinda guy, Edge gel, for about 35 years. The idea of dropping a cnote on a razor and badger brush, is a luxury that I should get around to soon. Decadent. So is the

. Edited by douG

I've recently purchased my first DE razor(Merkur 38HD long shaft) and I can tell you there is no way that a Fusion, Mach3 or any other similar torture device will ever touch my face again... Got a big sampler pack of blades, currently using a Derby with great results.. Combine that with a good badger brush, some Proraso soap and I look forward to shaving everyday (ok, maybe every other day, lol)

i just got some phillip's electric deal, i don't necessarily "shave" but i "trim" lol. im too lazy to make it close. lol i just use the "beard trimmer" deal on the razor.

Still in front I see. A tip I heard once from a theater type guy was to first lay down a thin layer of olive or mineral oil first before the lather for a very close shave. Like a baby's bottom. And stop slapping me already.

Still in front I see. A tip I heard once from a theater type guy was to first lay down a thin layer of olive or mineral oil first before the lather for a very close shave. Like a baby's bottom. And stop slapping me already.

Very good tip. I just picked up a tub of Proraso eucalyptus oil that goes on pre-soap and post shave if needed. I'll give it a shot today and let you know how it works out :)

Very good tip. I just picked up a tub of Proraso eucalyptus oil that goes on pre-soap and post shave if needed. I'll give it a shot today and let you know how it works out :)

the best stuff i ever had was something by gillette. I forget what it was called but it came in a bottle shaped like deodorant and you squirt it out of a pinhole in the top. non aerosol. A small drop is all you would need stuff smeared on super slick when it got wet, almost like the white strip stuff only not as gooey. The last 2 bottles i bought were on a clearance table for a quarter each and they lasted several years each. I suspect that's why they pulled it from the market. I would pay $30 for another bottle if i could find one, at this point, the only place you might find it is at a cornerstore on a lonesome road. ...this product left the market maybe 15 years ago.

forgot to say this stuff didnt' foam. It was blue but went on pretty clear.

Edited by j ace

Shaving is a chore, not a pleasure. Now that I'm retired, I shave about every second day, unless I'm going somewhere.

Splash with hot water, lather with liquid soap, shave with 5-pak triple-blade swiveling disposables from Dollarama (made in Israel or India, I think). Good razors, and $1 does me for about a month.

The money I save can buy me some extra rye whisky every once in a while. :P

I use to use electric until the battery completely went on my last one. Instead of replacing wife picked me up Fusion. Haven't even thought about going back to electric. I can finally get my neck hair. Tip: only buy the replacement blades when they are on sale.

Edited by Governator

i started using DE razors about three years ago. I now have a Merkur Futur and another merkur, the name i forget and an older Gillette DE razor. The Futur is my fave.

Also have one badger and one boar brush and i use Williams shave soap supplemented w/ Nivea or Proraso cream.

I think DE razors are making a comeback. Watch mantic59 on youtube for tips. He's the shaving god of youtube.