Propane refilling

Nanook

Theres been one or two threads about refilling 1lb bottles from 20lb bottles. and as I use quite a few during summer camping i'm thinking about it.

First... is it safe to do ?

any danger of over filling ?

is it legal ?

How do you do it?

If you dont want to answer here, PM me.

Appreciate any answers and thanks in advance.

Jack, it's easy to do. Now that I have one, I'm happy. Key is you must freeze the 1lb tanks to fill them. I set up my 20lb tank on my workmate bench and start filling. Just don't keep it in the car with you when you have the 1lb tanks as that's where you would get in trouble... ;)

Geoff

Jack.

When a propane cylinder of any description is filled it is only done to 80% of the volume of the container.

The 20% is there to allow for heat expansion as a safety factor. If it was topped right up as a liquid there is no room for that expansion to take place.

it is legal to refill them

I will say it again, it is legal to refill them

however, it is not legal to transport them on Ontario roads once they are refilled..so fill them when you get to the camp site

and safe to refill

I have never heard of anyone in Canada ever getting hurt filling one

do it outside in a well vented area

Edited by Terry

I've been doing this for a couple years, did about a dozen the other day, 20 Min's.

They fill about 2/3 full. Never had one fill right up. But be careful. I jumped off the bridge but not telling you to. Your on your own. If you know what I mean :rolleyes:

filler.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Oh Oh, now I'm leery

GBW. Dont keep what in the car, that can cause trouble?

Terry. Safe to refill!

Bigugli. Considered not safe.

Fishfarmer. Appreciate the the information[ I dont play 'follow the leader :whistling: until I'm sure]

Have a PM to check then gotta think some more 'bout this.

Thank you all!!

Sounds like a lot more bother and risk (if one of those "non-refillable" bottles leaked in your garage or car that could be a big problem) than what it's worth. How much could you save over the course of a year $100 ??

GBW. Dont keep what in the car, that can cause trouble?

the Mr Heater tank adaptor. then is it proof you can refill the tanks. (reread Terry's part on Legal)

safe? check on the directions row H, it tells you how to test for a bad tank. so far, 5 tanks filled and not one problem. If I had a bad unit, outside it goes...

Jack I would use the adapter/hose that lets you run off of a #20 bottle it will last you along time and you do not worry about the small bottles shrader valve leaking because it did not seal back up. If you can't find one P.M. me and I will send you one.

Art

the way our Gov. is, if it was considered not safe, they would ban it or tax it

they are safe, do a google search on exploding refilled 1lb tanks, you will see no problem

and as for unsafe to transport, it's because the seal is meant for one time use and not to be refilled, because you can not be sure the seal will hold transporting in a trunk or inside a car could be bad..again try to find if it has ever happened by googling

I have had some that do not seal after filling, you hear them hiss so you know there is a problem, I put themon the heateror lantern right away and problem solved

I also have some old propane torches that I screw on them to double secure them, over kill but what the heck

I guess I'm doing it legally.. .both Leah and I have propane filling licences!! :P

And as for safety.. consider this.. the 20 lb'rs must be stored outside in a metal cage by both the propane act and the labour act.. now walk into CTC and count how many of these 1 lb'rs are on the shelf and the percentage/possibility of a leaker amongst them and it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I've been doing this for a couple years, did about a dozen the other day, 20 Min's.

They fill about 2/3 full. Never had one fill right up. But be careful. I jumped off the bridge but not telling you to. Your on your own. If you know what I mean :rolleyes:

filler.jpg

That would appear to be a 'merican label, I don't know why sooo many profess to chance bad luck when it only costs $3.45 to refill a 5lb tank, over time you would actually be saving money.

Seems this topic comes up often. The 1 lbs can be filled (and over filled if you are not careful!!) by freezing the empties for an hour before filling. The 20 lb propane tank must be at room temperature, if possible, as well.

I weigh my tanks as I am filling them (checking them a few times while filling. The tanks should contain 16 oz of propane. The empties weigh 16 oz so your final gross weight should not exceed 32 oz.

Check for leaks after filling and store the propane tank and the one pounders outside after filling.

Hope this helps.

That would appear to be a 'merican label, I don't know why sooo many profess to chance bad luck when it only costs $3.45 to refill a 5lb tank, over time you would actually be saving money.

Space, weight, expense of 5lb. bottle, If I had a machine to pull my gear, I'd just take my BBQ 20lb and Gas auger. But when your walking 3 to 4 miles pulling a Clam with all your gear. You want to go lite as possible. As Terry mentioned, I also had one that didn't seal out of about 30 I've refilled which I also put it on my Mr Heater right away. Then when it was empty, I discard. But if you don't feel comfortable refilling that's OK. My buddy won't refill, he's also leery. But when he runs out, I don't mind giving him one of my re-fillers. ;)

But as Nanook mentioned, Tight pension, I myself, am on pension. If I can save a few cents to maybe get another day fishing, I guess we try and cut were we can.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I guess I'm doing it legally.. .both Leah and I have propane filling licences!! :P

And as for safety.. consider this.. the 20 lb'rs must be stored outside in a metal cage by both the propane act and the labour act.. now walk into CTC and count how many of these 1 lb'rs are on the shelf and the percentage/possibility of a leaker amongst them and it doesn't appear to be an issue.

The 20 lb tanks that are for sale in stores do not have propane in them.

Where can I find an adapter for filling my 1 lb tanks? Are they sold commercially? Do you think I can buy one at a place that specializes in filling propane tanks?

I've got an old Coleman catalytic heater in which I can store 2 one pound bottles. This is the heater I use in my portable fishing hut and also for camping in the spring and fall. I even use the heater for late fall to keep my insulated 8 X 8 hunting camp warm.

I also have an old Coleman oven/roaster, lamps, camp stove so in the long run, I use quite a bit of propane throughout the year. I do a lot of wilderness camping/canoing/fishing and hunting where any extra weight/bulk is a handicap.

Edited by Dabluz

Read that again Dabluz ! As I stated the 20 lbrs are outside in a pen... the 1 lbrs are full and hundreds of them sitting side by each on the shelf inside the store!

Yes....I should have read your message more closely.

I guess that even if a 1 lb bottle did suddenly spring a leak and emptied itself in a store, the diffused gas would not be concentrated enough to ignite.