Hunting season is over.....

Sinker

So, the duck season is over, its back to fishing.

A week ago Thursday I headed to quinte with Buckster and another friend of mine. Once I got to the access, I realized I'd forgotten my floater suit! :rolleyes: Luckily my wife is such a great sport, and it was her day off, so she went for a nice drive and dropped it off to me. :worthy: God love her!! :wub: I got off to a late start. Hit up a few of my favorite waypoints, but it was a light bite. We hooked quite a few fish, but only managed to land two. they would show up on the screen, chase the bait up and hit it, but just peel off your minnows. Between three of us, we must have hooked into a dozen fish, with only two put on the ice. Here’s the one I did land, 25.5" and close to 7lbs. Buckster also got in on the action with one about 2-3lbs.

PB080014.jpg

We headed off just after this beauty sunset.

PB080013.jpg

Last week on wed I hit the south shore of simcoe out of JP, no fish. I lost one fish in the two feet of slush under the ice and that was it. This was more of a recon trip than anything else. The ice was a mess, all pack ice, with slush underneath. We didn’t move around much, and got a late start. I marked quite a few fish, but not many takers.

The next day I fished scugog with a good buddy. Our usual hot spot hasn't been producing, so we picked a few good looking waypoints off the map, and started a new search, in a new area of the lake. As soon as I got my line in I hit a good slab, then another, and another. Next fish was a good whack, weight, hook set......ZZZZZZZZZ.......what the hell?

First lunge of '10. I was lucky it was just hooked on the tip of the snout, because I was only running 4lb line, with a tiny little forage minnow. After a good battle on the light gear, I got his head in the hole.

PB160015.jpg

Pretty little fish, about 32"

PB160017.jpg

I took home half a dozen slabs for a little taster. My buddy also took 7 slabs, and a nice pair of eyes.

PB160019.jpg

Tonight my son and I headed back to the same waypoint me and my bud fished on Thursday. The guys had dragged the hut to the honey hole, so we had comfort and warmth. I drilled 4 holes, and started setting lines. I got Jacob’s jigging rod going first, and before I got to the second line, he’d already iced a nice slab……..then another as soon as it went back down again.

First two drops of the day!

PB190013.jpg

He was a happy camper! I’ll never hear the end of how he “outfished” Dad. Little does he know, he had the best guide on the lake. (wink) I spent more time baiting his lines than fishing, but that's what its all about!!! We ended up keeping 15 crappies and a nice eater walleye for a fish fry, and released at least that many more crappies, a few rock bass, and one smallmouth. It was a fun evening with the young lad, he had a blast!

I’m not sure what to do this week. So many lakes, so close by, its hard to choose!!! I'll be out wed/thurs though for sure!! Its great to be back to fishing, its been a while!!

S.

Excellent report, pics, and fish Sinker!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

Good for Jacob to outfish Dad, it'll keep him interested and you'll have a good fishin' buddy! When he grows up a little more he'll realize it was a team effort. ;)

I think the next trip should be for Ling! :P

Thanks for taking the time to put up that nice report! :clapping: