Cheap Cell Phone

Fishnwire

I guess I'm going to take a job out of town. The strike looks like it may never end and I'm bored out of my mind. I hate residential work which is all I can find here right now and the money is actually not bad, so I figure I'd better jump on it while I have the chance.

The thing is I have to drive from Sudbury to the watershed every week and I figure I had better get a cell phone (which I had hoped to never own) so I have it on the highway for safety reasons. Does anyone know if there is service in that area? The other thing is that I have never been in the market for a cell phone, and don't know what I should pay for a simple phone and plan or where to go. I'll use it infrequently, but want it for other than strictly emergencies. There is a fairly decent chance I will lose or break it, so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I second the $100 phone card.

I do not have a cell...but my wife does. She visits family in Sudbury...a 5 hour drive from here... and likes having the phone, just in case.

She has the pay as you go and it has worked well for the way she uses her phone. Your planned cell phone usage sounds pretty similiar to hers.

I see that Future Shop sells Virgin Mobile in Sudbury. I would normally avoid them, but I guess I'll bite my lip and go check them out.

thanks.

Can anyone tell me anything about reception between Sudbury and the Watershed?

Edited by Fishnwire

can't remember which provider

but we had service on and off low areas we lost signal on high points we has signal from sudbury to 560 when we went east on 560 we lost all signals

if you bought one that you can hook up an external antenna on the roof or window, I think you might do ok

Not sure what the service is like there - but Rogers has the same plan. Buy a pay as you go plan - put $100 on the plan and you've got a whole year to use it up. Works out to just over $8/mos. And you can buy a phone for around $100 also.

Right now walmart has virgins for 48.99 and they come with a $50 dollar card.. go figure.. lol so basicly u are buying $50 worth of time and getting the phone for free.. I plan on getting one today, i only buy basic phones cause they tend to get broken. My last one lasted a week.. lol

Right now walmart has virgins for 48.99 and they come with a $50 dollar card.. go figure.. lol so basicly u are buying $50 worth of time and getting the phone for free.. I plan on getting one today, i only buy basic phones cause they tend to get broken. My last one lasted a week.. lol

This is what we have done for our first phone as well. It is working out very well and at $100 a year you can afford to have one each (I haven't told her that yet, right now we are still sharing one).

If you are using the phone for true "needs only" basis, it is a brilliant way to go.

Jim

:dunno:

So,,,,,,whats wrong with 'Solo'. Had one for 2yrs and have had no problems what=so=ever!!!!.

I was in Bell Mobility a couple of days ago, and it seems they have a phone that is just that,,,,,a phone. No camera, no computer, etc. Will be looking at that soon.

:dunno:

So,,,,,,whats wrong with 'Solo'. Had one for 2yrs and have had no problems what=so=ever!!!!.

Jack... Debbe's package is with Solo. She has an old package with unlimited texting...that's not even available anymore. But she still gets it. She can text from the cottage in Bobcaygeon all summer and it's free. It's handy for people at the bank to keep in touch with her if needed and for the kids to get ahold of us.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

We fish around the watershed all the time and some guys get service and some dont so you are better checking out which companies have service and which dont before purchasing. I personally have a Rogers pay as you go and it does not have service from Chelmsford on.

i went thru this a few years ago as i spend most of the summer in the gogama area, only service is bell & telus, for some reason telus has better service which i dont understand as i was told telus uses bell resources, i've always had telus for this reason and see countless ppl with bell who dont get half the reception i do, i use a cheapo pay as you go phone, nothing fancy also works great around home, (sudbury)

i start getting service just north of low water lake all the way to timmins, but not very far off the highway, ( only about 10 kms or so up up hwy 560)

Guest skeeter99
I guess I'm going to take a job out of town. The strike looks like it may never end and I'm bored out of my mind. I hate residential work which is all I can find here right now and the money is actually not bad, so I figure I'd better jump on it while I have the chance.

The thing is I have to drive from Sudbury to the watershed every week and I figure I had better get a cell phone (which I had hoped to never own) so I have it on the highway for safety reasons. Does anyone know if there is service in that area? The other thing is that I have never been in the market for a cell phone, and don't know what I should pay for a simple phone and plan or where to go. I'll use it infrequently, but want it for other than strictly emergencies. There is a fairly decent chance I will lose or break it, so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

cheapest is either petro canada

or 7 eleven

both have $100 card valid for 365 days of the year works out to be $8.30 a month

i would go with petro canada mobile it is rogers network thy are using

Ask around your buddies and family. Odds are someone has an old cell phone that will work for you. If you were close by I'd give you a great working unit that I've had for years on both a Bell Mobility plan and a Solo prepaid plan. It seems to be bulletproof. My wife no longer has any use for it though. A few years ago I gave away a box full of all my old phones (all working) going back to my first bag phone. Most of cell phones were analog so not much use to anyone. Our area was fairly late in getting on the digital highway.

Just be careful of getting on a plan that requires regular top-ups. At one point my wife was up to over $300 on her prepaid plan - never again.

JF