Fished L. Ontario today

ehg

Have been waiting for 9 months to do this type of fishing.

In the winter sportfish are attracted to baitfish here near the shoreline. You need a boat and some light northerly winds to make this happen. Everything looked perfect today so it was a go.

Despite some motor problems to start (not starting) eventually we were up and running. Excitement was high as we knew the fish were going to be caught, much like in the decades before.

IMG_0148.jpg

Got to the spot and started trolling, seconds later first fish on! Nice Brown Trout!

IMG_0149.jpg

Moments later after Dave caught his brown, I caught one as well.

Way smaller, but at least within minutes there wouldn't be a skunking.

IMG_0151.jpg

Then the motor stopped, it started again but wouldn't go in forward gear. It went in reverse but not forward.

Luckily there was another boat there so we quickly asked them for a tow back to shore.

So after 10 minutes are fishing for the day was done :angry:

Big thanks to folks who towed us back to vehicle :thumbsup_anim: or else we would had to go in reverse for a long while.

Anyone have knowledge or experience with small outboard repair shops in GTA?

Have 2 9.9's one needs a tune up the other needs a little work probably gear oil as well.

Anyways gave this fishing a try. Hopefully will have better engine luck next time.

" Anyone have knowledge or experience with small outboard repair shops in GTA?

Have 2 9.9's one needs a tune up the other needs a little work probably gear oil as well. "

dont go to bluffers park marina..

They're were better at talking than fixing my 9.9 johnson..

It took 4 days till i told him to just give me back my motor.. wasent even touched.

all i asked for was a tune up and the pull cord to be repaired. :dunno:

he said he was waiting for parts?

Edited by Shore_Lunch

and actually, the 9.5 Johnson is a sweet little motor she runs awesome in neutral, then when you get goin she bogs out, I dont know maybe its the rich / lean dial I gotta figure out, cold rich hot lean I dont know, all I know is it looks bran new, for an oldie like she is.

Its always nice to have a back up. I know when I go out on the big lake, I have the electric (which will only keep me head on into the waves) with a back up battery as well. At the very least, its piece of mind.

Its worth the $ to get that Johnson looked at by a pro. It won't cost you much, and it will run like a dream. They last forever.

S.

A life jacket would not hurt either-unless its under the parka

Survival suit would be more like it. In ice water, all a life jacket will do is make sure they find the body.

Pretty dangerous to go out on the lake with no survival suits, a wonky motor, and an offshore wind. You guys are VERY lucky there was another boat out there to tow you in.

Thanks for replies and PM's :santa:

what lures did you troll with?

Those fish were caught on Rattlin Raps in shad colour.

Be careful out there boys!!! A break down can be a BIG problem this time of year. Your pretty lucky there was another boat out there!!

Nice fish though!!

S.

Your right! Luckily there was another boat there which we immediately asked for help once it was clear there was a problem.

It is dangerous to do this, thus i post these with trepidation. Have been doing this for 20 yrs. plus there wasn't a life threatening situation or horrible conditions.

Survival suit would be more like it. In ice water, all a life jacket will do is make sure they find the body.

Pretty dangerous to go out on the lake with no survival suits, a wonky motor, and an offshore wind. You guys are VERY lucky there was another boat out there to tow you in.

The wonky motor wasn't realized until we were out there, the difference between survival suits and lifejackets is negligible in this situation. the survival suit takes away some mobility and we are not to far from shore if they need to retrieve our bodies for identification.

Great fish EHG, it wasn't an alumacraft that pulled you in was it? Was out for a few hours too, she's on.

HaHa, Harrison you are correct it was an Alumacraft that gave us the tow. If you know these guys we are so grateful as they immediately helped. The driver of said boat shared his story of harrowing breakdown there in the winter.

I think the biggest disappointment was having to leave, after all the preparation and waiting so long for the prime conditions.

It sounds like you might have enjoyed fishing that day Harrison.

This was the first time in over 25 yrs of boat fishing i needed a tow and first time in nearly 20 yrs at this location that there was a boat issue. Thanks again folks.