The big white yote

bigfish1965

This fella was yipping at my dogs from across the park this morning..he also followed a woman and her great pyrenees. He thought better..the pyr woulda made mince meat of him.

This coyote is white and quite big for a coyote. He is also getting more and more brave as time goes by.

Location is five minutes from downtown St Catharines. Here is a bad pic..

yote1.jpg

thats a nice looking yote. in this area they average 40lbs and have heard of a few reaching 50lbs. there is a possibility that it is a coydog which is why it is larger. these mixes are generally more dangerous because they have less fear of humans...

one on one the pyrenees would kill the coyote, but the big dog wouldnt be able to catch the coyote. its common for coyotes to toy with dogs and lure them into the bush where the rest of the pack is waiting. no domestic dog that is alone is going to win against 2 or 3 coyotes so be sure to keep an eye on your pooches no matter how big they are.

have you seen the rest of the pack?>

Even with the poor pic,that looks like a husky head. Im sideing with the coydog aswell.

Yup,husky type head and very light coat....May even be a stray huskie for all we know....Hope he doesn't get shot by a hunter thinkin he's a family pet runin game.

thats a nice looking yote. in this area they average 40lbs and have heard of a few reaching 50lbs. there is a possibility that it is a coydog which is why it is larger. these mixes are generally more dangerous because they have less fear of humans...

one on one the pyrenees would kill the coyote, but the big dog wouldnt be able to catch the coyote. its common for coyotes to toy with dogs and lure them into the bush where the rest of the pack is waiting. no domestic dog that is alone is going to win against 2 or 3 coyotes so be sure to keep an eye on your pooches no matter how big they are.

have you seen the rest of the pack?>

My dads pyrenees have killed MANY coyotes, its the best dog I have ever seen for this, he has a farm with many sheep and goats and since he has picked these two dogs up, not one lamb has gone misssing, pack or no pack they shred them to peices, they stand no chance.

The yipping was unmistakeably coyote...don't know if a coydog would have the same yip. But it would explain his size and fearlessness.

Another member of the pack..a smaller one... jumped the fence into my yard to take on my two dogs in the summer.... bad idea. I had to pull my two off it and it jumped back out. But that one was smaller and regular coyote colours.

I am going to look for tracks and see if I can find the den this week.

Oh ya.......

I let Rick watch my dog for the weekend and he tries to feed him to the coyotes...LOL!!! Seriously tho, I live rural and we see them all the time. So far I've never had any issues with walking at any time of day.

They are very brave tho.

At the farm where I keep my horse, we had one sleeping in our arena every night and sleeping on the manure pile to keep warm. She had mange. She would move enough for you to empty a wheel barrel and move right back and lay down when you were done. NO fear.

It's most dangerous to people that are oblivious to the fact that they are so close to populated areas. Letting small pets run loose in parks and back yards, only makes a potential meal of them.

My dads pyrenees have killed MANY coyotes, its the best dog I have ever seen for this, he has a farm with many sheep and goats and since he has picked these two dogs up, not one lamb has gone misssing, pack or no pack they shred them to peices, they stand no chance.

you missed the part where i said no SINGLE domestic dog will win against multiple coyotes ;) it doesnt matter how big the dog is, if the other 1 or 2 yotes decide to help their buddy thats getting mangled by a dog its game over. numbers usually win ;)

chrisk, give it up already :rolleyes:

Seeing that bugger in my back yard would have my hackles up a bit. Grab a pack of M80 firecrackers, take a shot with the rifle then run around the yard throwing the firecrackers with the young'ns for the neighbours ;):)

There is a pack that hangs out in the Darlington OPG fields that can be seen almost every morning, about 6 of them. Used to see alot of deer too, but don't see them as often anymore.

Edited by Harrison

I'd agree that...

I've heard the same thing about luring dogs away.

Coyotes are sneaky, but also a bit cowardly by nature...where there is one there are more(usualy not far in toe)

There's a farm right across the road from our trailer park north of Peterboro and for years I'd hear them yelping early in the morning before sunrise, then one year they disappeared and I haven't heard them for maybe 10 years now.

Still lots of deer & other critters around, so I have no idea why they moved on, but I always enjoyed listening to them in the early hours.

I'd agree that...

I've heard the same thing about luring dogs away.

Coyotes are sneaky, but also a bit cowardly by nature...where there is one there are more(usualy not far in toe)

there is also a type of hunting where you use a well trained dog to lure coyotes into shooting range. you use a predator call to hopefully get a coyote to come investigate. then you send your dog out into a field or clearing hoping that the coyotes will see him. once the dog sees that the coyotes are closing in on him he runs back to the hunter with the coyotes tailing him.

i guess its a very effective way of hunting yotes, but i wouldnt use one of my dogs.

a few years back i shot a rabbit and dressed it shortly after. we decided to call for coyotes and not 2 minutes later a big yote came running in right for the lab/collie cross. some buckshot slowed him down a bit :thumbsup_anim:

Got an inquiry today from the MNR on this coyote. They think he is pure coyote but has a rare white coat gene in his bloodline. His size is not unheard of apparently ( Southern Ontario urban yotes can reach 70 pounds in the right circumstances).

We hope to get the City to post 'Coyote Activity' signs in the park to let people know they are in the park and to use common sense and not let pets off lead in the park and tell their kids not to approach any 'dogs' in the area.

Interesting how the animals are reclaiming their once lost territory!! We now have a very healthy beaver population in the city too.