NF just bought a wiemeraner

workwear

well brought home a wondereful playmate in the summer named her tia....she is a wiemeraner....man oh man tons of energy....weve been having a blast so far until last week.....i took her out for a long walk thru a provincial park way up north.....dont i hear a few turkeys way off in the distance...she pauses lifts her paw....and while im thinking she is gonna bolt...i grab her

question...if by chance she takes down small game...would i get into trouble....im not a liscenced hunter i just like to goin out for long walks with her while she isnt on a leash

any light on this would be appreciated

cheers

peter

Hefty fine from the MNR for any dog running deer, or wildlife! Also believe they can be shot if caught doing so.. especially in winter months when the deer are prone to breaking their legs in the snow.

Edit.. taken from the fish and wildlife regulations

Dog running at large

(3) The owner of a dog or any other person responsible for a dog shall not permit it to run at large,

(a ) during the open season for white-tailed deer, moose, elk or black bear, in an area prescribed for the purpose of subsection (2); or

(B ) during the closed season for white-tailed deer, moose, elk or black bear, in an area usually inhabited by that species.

Power of conservation officer

(4) A conservation officer may kill a dog without incurring any liability if,

(a ) the dog is running at large in an area prescribed for the purpose of subsection (2) during the open season for white-tailed deer, moose, elk or black bear; or

(B ) the dog is chasing white-tailed deer, moose, elk or black bear during the closed season for that species in an area usually inhabited by that species. 1997, c. 41, s. 25.

Edited by irishfield

I too have a Weimeraner. I don't hunt but bring her along for many outdoor adventures.

To date she's captured:

squirrels

groundhogs

catfish

birds

mice

moles

rabbits

Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it unless you have them on leash all the time. They are not the breed

for that, that's for sure. Love mine to death.

IDA

idaphotographer.jpg

p1011076.jpg

p1011077.jpg

p1011550.jpg

p1011869.jpg

Edited by laszlo

wow wayne that i didnt know........sure sucks tho.....she is so much fun out there running free ....but thanks for the info

laz....what a stunning looker you have there.......they are fun dogs....amazing how many times i get stopped and asked....what kind of dog is she..i just smile and say she is my silver ghost... ;)

yea as wayne stated you can be up the creek without a paddle if caught it's considered hunting , as for tia taking down a turkey, not likely gonna happen

HUNTING:

Includes lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of, pursuing,

CHASING or shooting at wildlife, whether or not the wildlife is killed,

injured, captured or harassed. You need a hunting licence to do any of

these things, except where the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act , 1997 states otherwise.

nice looking pal ya got there laszlo

Matt!

if your dog is bringing back various critters you need to punish him for this to break the habit. be very stern and enforce the fact that it is not acceptable. eventually he will just give up with chasing critters and killing them for fun. i am a hunter and a conservationist. i have and will put the crosshairs on family pets/drop offs that are running free in the bush.

you wouldnt be too happy if i saw your dog running game...within range. :canadian::devil:

if your dog is bringing back various critters you need to punish him for this to break the habit. be very stern and enforce the fact that it is not acceptable. eventually he will just give up with chasing critters and killing them for fun. i am a hunter and a conservationist. i have and will put the crosshairs on family pets/drop offs that are running free in the bush.

you wouldnt be too happy if i saw your dog running game...within range. :canadian::devil:

what does that accomplish i realize you legally can but who does it benefit. it's a dog for cryin out loud, derived from wolves it's natural to chase other animals.

the guy asked a simple question he got his answer and probably doesnt need to hear that it doesnt bother some :asshat: holes to shoot it for simply being a dog.

Edited by BassAsin

In my situation there are NO hunters around. I live in the GTA so thankfully I don't have to fear someone shooting my dog in front

of me for chasing a squirrel.

I have my little pockets in the city where I don't see a soul. Just me and Ida, all smiles, frolicing about!

well brought home a wondereful playmate in the summer named her tia....she is a wiemeraner....man oh man tons of energy....weve been having a blast so far until last week.....i took her out for a long walk thru a provincial park way up north.....dont i hear a few turkeys way off in the distance...she pauses lifts her paw....and while im thinking she is gonna bolt...i grab her

question...if by chance she takes down small game...would i get into trouble....im not a liscenced hunter i just like to goin out for long walks with her while she isnt on a leash

cheers

peter

Train your dog to obey commands or keep her on a leash.

... and you wouldn't like the looks of your car, truck or ATV when you got back to it if I saw you killing someones pet!

... and you wouldn't like the looks of your car, truck or ATV when you got back to it if I saw you killing someones pet!

:angry: Oh the great mentality of beating up and wrecking inanimate objects that can't defend themselves from a no mind. Keep your critters on a leash when the situation demands it, maybe some people too. There are rules, all ya have to do is read and heed.

Guys,

Shooting wandering pets ???

Intentional property damage ???

Common,this is against the law if proof is available. Lets not let this thread go down that road or it will be locked. <_<

laszlo, beautiful dog you got there man. Sounds like she just needs to be trained and your good to go...

Cheers !!

Guys,

Shooting wandering pets ???

Intentional property damage ???

Common,this is against the law if proof is available. Lets not let this thread go down that road or it will be locked. <_<

laszlo, beautiful dog you got there man. Sounds like she just needs to be trained and your good to go...

Cheers !!

Thanks Chris.

She's trained really well. If I call her she comes to me in a flash. She knows who's boss. Funny thing is most of the captures are in the backyard

when I'm not present. We live along a ravine and many critters wander in. She kind of calls the backyard her own and if I'm not

there to call her, she fulfills her instincts.

I'm ok with this.

Edited by laszlo

4 commands that you must teach your dog,no,come,leave it and stay.They may save its life one day.Any dog can be broken from chasing game once these commands are taught.You must anticipate what your dog is going to do next and make the correction before he acts.My girl is rarely on leash and I can stop her from a full run with just a voice command.If you cant do this with your dog please dont let it off leash in a public place,for the dogs sake.Thats a great looking pup Lazlo,most doga that are that breed are too fat,good to see a trim one.

Joe

Thanks Chris.

She's trained really well. If I call her she comes to me in a flash. She knows who's boss. Funny thing is most of the captures are in the backyard

when I'm not present. We live along a ravine and many critters wander in. She kind of calls the backyard her own and if I'm not

there to call her, she fulfills her instincts.

I'm ok with this.

Laz,

My cat takes down rabbits in the back yard and periodically raids nests of them in the spring and thats not including all the doves she's killed and left a the door ..Not sure were she's getting the bunnies from,maybe under the shed ???

I think pets on the loose killing game is like J walking. I never heard of anyone getting charged for it especially if its happening on your own property.

Friend of mine used to have a malamute but she's dead and gone now..Anyhow,he lived next to a farmers field which always had corn on it. The corn attracted rats and they took up resisdence in his garage that was within 20 feet of the corn row. To bad for the rats cause Shelby his malamute picked these rats off one by one whenever she had the opportunity. I was there once when she pounced on a rat. Its over in a heartbeat !! Now my buddy uses rat traps since Shelby the terminator is no longer around.

I have a redtick coonhound that lives on our 20 acres here and he loves his squirrels. He has been trained with the 4 basic commands that Daplumma has mentioned but before that time I use and still use occasionally a trainers collar. Invest in a good one that has at least a 300 yard range with both an audible and a shock settings. Around here I am not worried about him getting a hold of a wild animal but that he will follow his blood and run for miles.I have been very pleased with a collar made by innoteck model # adv1000p It will run you around $150.oo US.

As far as CH312 comment I hope you never have to explain to little Timmy that you shot his dog because it got out of the fenced in area because you legally could in your mind. Here in the USA if you are not a law officer you may only shoot an animal that shows any sign (collar) of being domesticated if the animal is damaging your livestock.

Any how nice choice in dogs I have always loved the hounds.

Art

My cat takes down rabbits in the back yard and periodically raids nests of them in the spring and thats not including all the doves she's killed and left a the door

SSS works great on cats too ;)

typical attitude from someone who allows their pets to harass and kill wildlife. :rolleyes:

im done with this thread. if you have further comments send them via pm ;)

In case there is any doubt about what our budding young redneck means by SSS is.It means Shoot,Shovel and Shut up.I had an incident where my nieghbors pit bull was chasing my sheep.I had every right to shoot the dog.The owner would have understood if I did.He would not like my hounds chasing his horses(they never have) and I would not expect him to shoot my dog for it either.I chased the dog off and we worked on the fences.If I see a dog running wildlife I can not and would not shoot the dog.People kill and harass wildlife much more than any domestic dog ever did.SSS by the way is for little men...if you really believe you are right enough for you to kill your neighbors pet then you should be man enough to deliver the body you pussy!

Joe

cheers

peter

How much does a puppy of this breed cost? Ballpark....?

Neurotic is right.

They do not like to be left alone.

Mine chewed through a chain link fenced kennel. it chewed through a kennel door made fron 2x6's. it chewed through a hollow core mahogany door and then trashed my house.

It is a 100 acre dog and needs company almost constantly. My wifes aunt had one and it jumped through the picture window as they were pulling out of the driveway because they left it home alone.

beautiful animal, but NEUROTIC

Neurotic is right.

They do not like to be left alone.

Mine chewed through a chain link fenced kennel. it chewed through a kennel door made fron 2x6's. it chewed through a hollow core mahogany door and then trashed my house.

It is a 100 acre dog and needs company almost constantly. My wifes aunt had one and it jumped through the picture window as they were pulling out of the driveway because they left it home alone.

beautiful animal, but NEUROTIC

They are known to be a little neurotic. Best thing you can do is buy it from a good breeder, learn about the mom and dad of the puppy and train the hell out of it for the first 6 months.

The best thing for my dog was exersize. In the beginning if I left the house without taking her for a walk or playing with her in some sort she would get into stuff when I left and cry. Then I started taking her for 45 minute walks before work and that made her stop crying and decide that chillin' in her bed wasn't such a bad idea. It just got better from there. Now she's 5 and I have no problems with her at all. Mind you I still take her for a run or bike ride almost daily so she's mellow in the house. If not she walks around too much and it just becomes annoying.

For myself there's two major positives that came out of this.

I'm outside way more which is never bad and over the last 5 years I've lost 20 lbs and held it off.