Asian carp issue to be dealt with

Marc Thorpe

LOL @ Mike

I assume this stuff breaks down pretty quickly otherwise it'll just end up in the great lakes like the carp would - or am I missing the point?

Yep, you're missing the fact that the water flows OUT of the great lakes into the river system in question in Chicago.

Brian if I break a smile,I'd be breaking tradition :lol:

Then winter would never come from the glow :lol:

They are only treating partially the river(locks) with Rotenone to work on the electric barriers

The entire system needs sterilization

It wont solve entirely the problem.

Good thing is they are goona shock,remove and preserve what ever game fish they can capture during the process and then re-introduce them and stocking afterward

I have read the articles posted and defer to the expertise of the people involved (including in this community). But I am basically opposed to messing with nature too much.

From Purple Lustrife, which was going to take away all of the water, to H1N1 that is going to kill us all, to Pike that are going to eat all of the fish in Rice Lake, I tend to err on the side of caution.

I have no pedigree to back it up (I am not Jimmy-two egos) but a healthy dose of cynicism has served me reasonably well so far.

Jim

The best part is that they aren't even trying to eliminate them permanently. It is just an extreme measure to ensure no carp can get through while the electro-barrier is shut down for maintenance. So they are going to do it again next time maintenance is needed.

RJ

The one thing I find hard to believe is that a 150lb fish can eat 40 times it weight each day. That's 6,000lbs of food each day. Can that be true?

Some other article it was said they can eat 40% of their body weight a day, a bit more beleiveable.

Reporters :wallbash:

this just amazes me. flying carp. the authorities have missed the boat. there been numerous reports of these fish in erie already. between shipping ballast and poor aquaculture we have developed a b-movie for science fiction.. instead of being a baitmaker,,,maybe i should be selling hemets and pads to boaters.