A reply from carll2 (hunting)

misfish

In a thread by our own Leechman,I was surprised to fined out that in Quebec,you need to pass a course for bow hunting.

First comment from Carll2

i think im going to get my bow and cross bow license to give me an extra 3-4 weeks of hunting..

My question

You guys need a licence to bow hunt?

Here you can hunt a buck with a bow anywhere,as long as you buy a deer tag.

If you want to shoot a doe,you need to apply for the anterles for an area.

From Carll2

we have to go pass a special safety test apart from your gun courses that you take to be certified. a complete day of teaching about bow and arrow and then the written test and then the target practice test...once your certified to either bow hunt or cross bow hunt you have a special code on your hunters card.

Here in Ontario,we dont have this,BUT,I think this would be a great thing.Not as a cash grab,but as making sure we all know how, when and where the perfect shot ,should be taken.

We all know here (Ontario),we can buy a bow ,and just head out after buying a tag.

Your thoughts please.

Myself like said,I can see a positive from this.As long as we dont make it a cash grab.

Edited by misfish

Myself like said,I can see a positive from this.As long as we dont make it a cash grab.

It couldn't help but cost you cash for a course and more cash for an endorsement on your Outdoors Card.

I am against any special class of hunting license, including the current one for turkey.

Edited by Jocko

Yes you need to take the hunters ed course, Wayne.

Your point is?

Sounded like you were stating we didn't need anything to hunt with a bow. If you have to take a hunters course then you should be good. Can you imagine if we needed to take an extra fishing course to get our licence if we wanted to jig vs troll?

Doesnt the basic hunting course cover ethical shots ? Its not like just anyone is grabbing a bow and shooting up the woods. You still need the hunter education to be able to get a small game license.

Yes it does,but what says, they are good enough to take that shot with a bow? Totally different game as you well know Richy.

I dont see the point. We already have to take a hunting course to be able to buy a deer tag and it covers pretty much anything you need to hunt anyways. If your a gun hunter you know where to shoot a deer. WE dont need any more rules.

good point Rich....does quebec have to take a provincial hunters safety course? ive been hunting almost my whole life...leave the province for a few years ...come back and then i have to take a course?!?!..what the hell...thats like trying to tell Babe Ruth he has to learn to play "T" ball before he can play baseball in yankee stadium...

Every shot I take at a deer with my cross bow costs me about $15.00 just for the heads I use. Once fired they are usually so mangled they have to be replaced. Believe me I make sure I can hit what I am shooting at and if I can't get a good clean shot, I just don't take it. In the past 10 years I haven't lost one deer that I've shot at and the farthest any thing has gone after shooting it with the cross bow was about 70 yards in about 10 seconds and it was dead.

By the time I pay for my out door card, fishing license, hunting license, turkey, bear, deer, moose licenses and my gear. Hunting already costs me plenty, I really can't aford any more cash grabs.

good point Rich....does quebec have to take a provincial hunters safety course? ive been hunting almost my whole life...leave the province for a few years ...come back and then i have to take a course?!?!..what the hell...thats like trying to tell Babe Ruth he has to learn to play "T" ball before he can play baseball in yankee stadium...

yep to hunt with a gun we need to take a safety course then if you want to bow hunt or crossbow you need another completely different course...i think its a great idea to have a mandatory bow course since its 100% more technical than hunting with a gun and the shots are way harder(from what ive seen)

Gun or Bow its the same vitals your aiming at. Your taking the same shot just with a different weapon. Archery is just tougher because you have to be within 60 yards

No offence to the crossbow guys but at 20 yards, a crossbow is as easy as having a gun in your hands. Not much skill involved.

The only thing that a seperate course could teach someone is that they cant pick up a compound bow and expect to be good, you have to practice.

I believe this course will become mandatory in Ontario soon enough. The Wolf's Den has been offering this course for a while now. It is $150 for a day course. Those who take it are heading to a foreign land to hunt and it is require by that country, state or province. Those who travel abroad to hunt have too much money to start with so what's another $150. I will only take it when I have to.

The basic hunter safety course covers everything it needs to.

Anybody who goes hunting without having practiced - whether with gun or with bow - is a fool. As far as I know there's very few of that kind of fool around. Everybody likes to target practice when they're new to the sport.

Whatever numbskull thought up the wild turkey course never paid any attention to the fact that duck hunting has a much steeper learning curve and requires no special course.

(Of course the wild turkey requirement was put in there to limit the number of wild turkey hunters, not because it requires extra-special proficiency.)

When I first started Bow Hunting, I took the Bow Hunter Safety Course (15yrs ago) and I really enjoyed it. It is not the same as the hunter safety course, yes some similarities, but a lot more about shot placements, tree stand safety, tracking, broadhead saftey and sharpness, the list goes on. When it was time for the field test it was a full day out with all the guys and going through the whole scenario of shooting an animal and tracking ect.. Then a fun 3-D shoot at the end with a steel deer with a 3" hole to try and shoot through at 40yrds or so.

With this course I can hunt anywhere in the world with my compound bow, some places you have to have it to be able to hunt.

It wasn't $150 back then, I think it was $50. I did it just to be more knowledgeable about bow hunting.

I wouldn't be against it if it did come into affect.

That's my 2 cents

When I first started Bow Hunting, I took the Bow Hunter Safety Course (15yrs ago) and I really enjoyed it.

Nothing wrong with a course. It's actually a good idea for some people as long as it isn't mandatory. I'd say the same about duck hunting.

Having to have a course because of hunting outside the country... that's a specialized thing and has to be different. You're playing by somebody else's rules.

The best way to get into bowhunting is to get to know people who do it. And you can also educate yourself massively by reading - especially on the internet.

Actually when I got into bowhunting I already knew all the basics of big game hunting - shot placement, tree stands, etc. etc. What I needed was familarity with the equipment and its capabilities. Some target shooting sessions worked that up just fine.

Edited by Jocko

I am not sure about a course, but maybe more education could be published in and around the ethics of bow hunting.

For a couple months before the season I practice with my compound from tree stand heights. I also bring the target with me to my stands and shoot each different laneway at the target. Afterwards I mark with trail tape the pin/yardage I used by the target for the kill shot.

Sounds maybe alittle extreme, but it is EASY to be fooled by distances. And it is deflating to have everything fall into place after so much effort to miss an animal for lack of prep or practice.

That being said, no matter how much prep and practice, things happen.

It works for me and I have vital shot every animal after doing so. Before I had a tendency to tickle their bellies with the arrow :)

Edited by Harrison