Looking for ways to make my 12' tinner stable

skinny

I noticed that when I put a floor in my old 12 footer, it was much more stable.

I would think that adding a floor to a 12' tinny would make the occupant more stable, not the boat.

Aside from keeping a low center of gravity, there's not a lot you can do.

Sell it and buy a 16 footer!!!! :lol:

Or do what I did sell the 12 footer and buy an 18 footer!!!!

6 footitis at it's best!!! :lol:

My 11ft Sportspal canoe isn't "tippy"

Gotta love those foam guards on the outside of the Sportspal Canoes....

They sure come in handy when nature calls in the middle of the lake and I just can't wait :rolleyes:

Why do you want to stand up? Standing up allows the fish to see you from further away and forces you to cast further. Standing up also increases the length of your shadow.

Besides that...it's tiring...

i dont know about you guys but i cant fish sitting down unless im jigging or trolling!

my accuracy is greatly improved when im standing up, my casting distance increases and i can set the hook whole lot harder. i dont think id worry about the fish seeing you while standing i mean when u figure 8 for muskie ur right at the boat with 12-15 inches of line off the tip of your rod and im sure the fish sees you and the boat, it just dosent care....

not sure how to make your boat more stable but i've never seen a pro bass fisherman laying down......

Well....first of all, bass boats do have chairs so they must be used quite often. On top of that....pro bass fishermen....are they really all that good? I bet there are lots of fishermen on this site who could do just as good if they had the same equipment, time and money. Why do the pros seem to fish from a standing position so often? I don't know. I don't find it very comfortable, certainly not very stable and I find using a foot pedal for the bowmount motor more difficult when standing. However, I did notice that bass boats do not have seats that make fishing very easy except for the seats on pedestals.

I know for sure that I get a lot closer to fish when I use my Sportspal canoe with the old foam seats that sit on the bottom of the canoe. To play a joke on a buddy while he was eating his lunch, I made a bunch of fast casts around the canoe with a Rapala and reeled in as fast as I could on a brook trout lake. Then, I dangled the Rapala about 12 inches off the surface of the water beside my buddy. It took about 15 seconds and a big brookie leaped out of the water to catch the Rapala. Startled the hell out of my buddy.

Sure you can cast further when standing....maybe about 10 feet more but you scare fish that are 30 to 50 feet away when standing and you can cut down that distance by 75% if you keep a low profile.

Ok....I fish for brook trout, landlocked salmon, walleye, whitefish and pike in an area where the lakes have little vegetation when compared to the warm water lakes further south. The water is often tea coloured but clear.

People are making excuses as to why they sit down and fish?

If the circumstances call for it (fishing out of a canoe) then sure... But who in their right mind would sit in a boat with a perfectly good casting deck? Hell, I stand in anything, even 12ft tinnys if I can...

I can make longer casts, have better control over where/when my bait lands and have a much better view of the cover I am fishing...

Also running the Minn Kota while standing isn't very hard :D

People are making excuses as to why they sit down and fish?

If the circumstances call for it (fishing out of a canoe) then sure... But who in their right mind would sit in a boat with a perfectly good casting deck? Hell, I stand in anything, even 12ft tinnys if I can...

I can make longer casts, have better control over where/when my bait lands and have a much better view of the cover I am fishing...

Also running the Minn Kota while standing isn't very hard :D

Yes....It's the same with me except when I'm sitting....everything is happening at a much closer range. On top of that, I can do this for 12 straight hours, I do not have to kneel, stoop or crouch down to grab or net my fish or another rod and I'm not worried that a sudden movement on the part of my partner or any sudden lurch will pitch me into the lake or make me step on something fragile. My tackle boxes are just beside me and the sonar screen is easy to see.

Standing up is for hot doggers. It's people who have fallen into the water that forces us to follow all those security regulations. I've never heard of anyone falling in the water from a sitting position.

Seriosly add a seat with a small pedestal it will help

This works well and is what I have on the seat in the back of my tinny...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5008000_225-8-5

If you want a free seat and are in the GTA let me know. I'm going to the cottage this weekend so I need to know Friday before 10:00PM if you want the seat (no Jon Boat Clamp incl.) so I can bring it back for you skinny. Let me know if you want it.