Want to buy a centerpin

timmeh

Hey everyone,

I've been fishing for steelies for the past few years and have been doing okay throwing hardware. The past year I spent a bit of time float fishing with a spinning reel. I was able to pick up a few fish and have learned a lot but would like to pick up a centerpin for the upcoming season. But admittedly I don't know a lot about them, including how much to spend. I've already got a rod, a 12.5 Fenwick to pair up with the reel.

I was hoping to get a decent reel in the price range of $200 or so. Any recommendations for decent reels within this price range. What features should I be looking for in a good centerpin? Any models that people have had troubles with? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Shefield will set you up in your price range of 200 ish ....being an entry level pinner you wont notice the difference between it or other more expensive brands....the key is ....learn how to use it properly ....by then youll be ready to upgrade and the reel would have served you well

For $200 a used Islander gets my vote.

If you can find one, G. Loomis or Tournament Drifter reels (Essentially the exact same reel with a different name stamped on the backplate) are also nice if you don’t mind the heavier weight or the positioning of the handles.

You could also look at Okuma’s 2 reels (Aventa and Sheffield) for around $150 to $250 new depending on where you get it. Both seem to be good reels for the price.

In terms of features, most of it comes down to how well it feels in your hands when taped or screwed onto your rod. I personally don’t enjoy using some of the reels where the handles are too close to the rim (Like most JW Young models) or too close together (Loomis) - They are great performing reels though.

In terms of performance, how long it spins after you give it a good whirl is not of huge importance unless you plan on batting the reel to retrieve your float + rig all the time. Regardless of how long you can spin the reel for, reels should start to spin with very little effort to get it to go (commonly referred to as “start-up”).

Hope this helps

Edited by MJL

$200 is a bit of an odd number where a centerpin is concerned. If you're looking at a new reel, then in my humble opinion you would be farther ahead to hold off until you can scrounge another $150 or so, because the difference between something like a $200 Raven or Okuma and a $350 Islander really is day and night.

For two bills I would look for a good used reel. A gently used Islander is a great value IF you can find one - they tend to get snapped up pretty quickly. You might have more luck finding a good used Stanton, a Loomis/Tournament Drifter, or maybe an Aurora Barrington. I own all three, and they're all wonderful reels.

You can sometimes find good used reels on eBay or Kijiji, but I'd suggest you watch local boards like this one. Chances are, you'll know something about the person you buy the reel from and even if you don't, you can probably pick it up in person and avoid extra charges for shipping or customs.

If you want a pin that can be used like a spin check this out!!: http://www.skreel.com/

I got my Okuma Sheffield off ebay for about $170 with shipping (bid), so that was a great deal. Like others have said for $200 that's about as good as it gets. Islander would be a great reel to buy if you don't want to reconsider your purchase one year later. It's toggles that line between entry and premium. So if you're the kind of person that tends to go affordable first only to upgrade shortly thereafter the Islander would be worth the extra cash.

I have the Okuma Sheffield its a great reel, spins nicely (especially after a kerosene bath and oil massage) and once the fight is on, it performs like any good pin should.

Edited by Jet

I started in the early 80's with a Grice and Young, it was a lightweight but serviceable bearing reel. They went out of business but I see that a company called " Eagle " has bought the tooling and is building several models again. Centerpin Angling has them for $99 new if you want to go that way.

Thanks for the replies guys. $200 was sort of a number I came up with since I didn't know exactly what to expect price wise. I'm on a bit of a budget and the thing is it's a bit of a drive to the closest steelie rivers so I'm hesitant to spend extra money on a reel that I won't use as often as I'd like.

But I will definitely keep my eyes open for a used reel and consider my options.

If you want a pin that can be used like a spin check this out!!: http://www.skreel.com/

I got my Okuma Sheffield off ebay for about $170 with shipping (bid), so that was a great deal. Like others have said for $200 that's about as good as it gets. Islander would be a great reel to buy if you don't want to reconsider your purchase one year later. It's toggles that line between entry and premium. So if you're the kind of person that tends to go affordable first only to upgrade shortly thereafter the Islander would be worth the extra cash.

I have the Okuma Sheffield its a great reel, spins nicely (especially after a kerosene bath and oil massage) and once the fight is on, it performs like any good pin should.

That's such an odd looking reel! :dunno:

I have had fished alot of centerpins and there is only one that you will ever need; get the Islander, you wont regret it. I own some pricey centerpins but my favorite is still the Islander, and I own 2 now. Its only limitation is its size, if they only made a 5' :) I wish...

spoon

I know Center Pins range from $150 to over $600. My Question. As there is not a whole lot to them, what is the main difference between them all. Is it just weight and the different type of metals used?? I have a Sheffield and find it very smooth. I can't see how other reels could get a lot smoother.

JFish

i had a sheffield, and i thought it was smooth also..

until i picked up the king pin, 2 different worlds.

I know Center Pins range from $150 to over $600. My Question. As there is not a whole lot to them, what is the main difference between them all. Is it just weight and the different type of metals used?? I have a Sheffield and find it very smooth. I can't see how other reels could get a lot smoother.

JFish

Don't forget to consider the waterways your fishin. Big water like the Niagara the Geen and even Sauble will fish different then those little toronto creeks or the south shore of erie. When casting and line retreival is an issue I'd want to make sure I made the right choice in reels :Gonefishing:

I've owned two Ravens, both not overly expensive and both total workhorses. The matrix is a great starter reel...ugly as hell but just try to kill it...you cant.

Purchased the SST3 vectra last season, cost a little more (but still on the cheap end) and performs amazingly well. Requires a little more upkeep but that doesnt bother me.

Look into Raven, great stuff at low prices