Berkley Vanish

ohhenrygsr

Well this year I went with the Berkley Vanish line for a leader material on all my rods. I love using fluorocarbon line as leader and braided as my main line. I have found Vanish has cost me a couple of tournaments and is very inconsistent line. I have tried a majority of popular knots and the darn line still breaks very randomly. I have come to conclude that this line is total garbage. I have test a section of line and it works fine then the next section it just breaks.

So i finally know what The Word vanish means

dsc07391o.jpg

dsc07394.jpg

dsc07396ad.jpg

dsc07397o.jpg

dsc07398v.jpg

dsc07404c.jpg

dsc07405g.jpg

What a relief to see this, i had the biggest smile while it burned.

From now on It's SEAGAR no questions asked

That is what I did with my Berkley vanish as well (well without the whole fisre thing). Opening day 2 years ago I have some vanish tied on as leader onto braid. On the end of my line was my prize posession custom painted pointer 100. 2 casts in and the vanish breaks off randomly 6" from the end.

I almost cried. I almost punched my fishing partner as well. Since then I have stayed away from that blue box and the gold box vanish. evil stuff and not good at all for leaders.

I had the exact problem as you. I used vanish as a leader on braid. I tied all kinds of leader knots, used swivels and it always seemed to randomly break. It was terrible. Finally I spent some extra money on seagar and haven't looked back. I also have the P-line fluoro on one of my reels and have had no problems with it. But i'll never waste a penny on vanish again.

Too bad y'all are to ignorant to know the difference between "mainline" and "leader" material! :rolleyes:

... maybe if you weren't so cheap you'd fill your whole spool with the vanish and see it's advantages... or if you'd been a little better educated in the first place you'd have gone with a leader material in th first place!!!

... don't cry to me on the internet because you're in a learning curve!!!

... eat 6 more Psilocybe Cubensis and you'll feel better "enry!!!"

Too bad y'all are to ignorant to know the difference between "mainline" and "leader" material! :rolleyes:

... maybe if you weren't so cheap you'd fill your whole spool with the vanish and see it's advantages... or if you'd been a little better educated in the first place you'd have gone with a leader material in th first place!!!

You are 100% correct. I learned that fact after the fact. Vanish is not to be used as a leader in any situation. Just wish I knew that earlier. As long as we learn from our mistakes after the 3rd or 4th time we should be fine.

I've read a lot of independant tests on different lines and Vanish is the worst of the lot. What surprises me is the fact that Berkley still makes and sells the stuff. It's still on their internet site.

I bought a spool of 6 lb test about 5 or 6 years ago and went brook trout fishing with the stuff. It took me about 5 minutes to find out that it had all the faults you can find in a fishing line. Not one redeeming quality. It was even as visible in the water as my clear mono. My 4 lb test mono was much stronger.

I sent it back to the company and wrote a note that I liked Fireline but could not find any 6 lb test Fireline in my area. Anyway, Berkley sent me back a new spool of Vanish and a spool of 6 lb test Fireline. I then took the new spool of Vanish back to the store (I still had my receipt) and got my money back. Sure I cheated, but Vanish is a cheat too.

I have done a lot of internet search about fluorocarbon lines. Stretch tests, strength tests, abrasion tests, knot strength tests and even visibility tests and everything I've read points to the fact that you have to be quite stupid to use the stuff. Sure, the 50 to 100 lb test fluorocarbon leader material is tough and maybe less visible but your lure looses all of it's action. I tried 25 lb test Seaguar leader material (because I got a free spool in a box of goodies that I won) and it's weaker than 15 lb mono. Yes....I know how to tie knots. I've been fishing maniac for close to 60 years.

Vanish is crap and I get it free from the Berkely rep, I give it back to him. Basspro fluro is good for leader material and P-line fluro is also good. I can't afford the segaur leader material at $8.00 for 30m, what is it made of gold give me a break. I bottom bounce Steelies in the Niagara and 30m is like 12 -15 leaders and I change leaders alot. The regular fluro is fine and not as stiff as the leader material, better for presenting roe.

Vanish is crap and I get it free from the Berkely rep, I give it back to him. Basspro fluro is good for leader material and P-line fluro is also good. I can't afford the segaur leader material at $8.00 for 30m, what is it made of gold give me a break. I bottom bounce Steelies in the Niagara and 30m is like 12 -15 leaders and I change leaders alot. The regular fluro is fine and not as stiff as the leader material, better for presenting roe.

Completely agree. Leader material is really stiff. I've used Seagar fluoro line and tied it on as a leader for the last 2 years and never had a problem with it all. If people want to spend big $$ on leader material go for it, I only use it in specific situations.

Don't get all caught up in this leader material bull crap, unless your making muskie and pike leaders the extra expense for the smaller lb tests is just a money grab. I used the leader material for drifting steelies and found no difference except the god awfull price :( . The p-line or basspro regular fluro works fine for leaders in most situations

Please don't call us all ignorant and cheap we know what works and the advantages and disadvantages of lines

Edited by canadadude

the first time i tried vanish i couldn't find a knot that didn't sever the line like butter. this line broke so easily and had such little knot strength we came to the conlusion that some unscrupulous person had bought the flouro, used it, and rewound the spool with crappy old mono. sound like it might have been just crappy old flourocarbon.

Please don't call us all ignorant and cheap we know what works and the advantages and disadvantages of lines

Well, unless your name is "enry"... I wasn't speaking to you. <_<

I know the difference between Fluoro mainline and leader material, the leader material is much tougher than the mainline! They put admixtures in the mainline formula to make it more supple so it won't be so stiff and will stay on your reel!

I'm a big fan of Seaguar and Suffix brand leader materials! I'm also a big fan of Vanish mainline! :thumbsup_anim:

If your line is breaking at the knot, you probably wetting/lubricating enough before you cinch the knot down. If your line is breaking elsewhere, you need to reconsider your drag setting!

If Vanish is a s bad as some people say, I wouldn't have been able to land this Striped Bass on 4 lb. test Vanish!

DSC01489.jpg

Yes, Vanish is junk and yes, fluoro-leader material is stronger and more abrasion resistant than fluoro-line.

For those who don't want to spend $10 plus on a 25yard spool of fluoro leader, you can use fluoro-line and some brands are better than others. Personally, I use BPS brand for leader material for most of my bass and walleye fishing but go to the more expensive stuff when I go after bows. It's just a confidence thing.

For those who are interested, go to tackletour.com and read up on their fluoro-line show down. It covers everything from price, tensile strength to knot strength. It is quite informative.

I used Vanish as main line about 4 years ago?..maybe 5?

Either way I got so fed up I went to P-line as I had heard so much about it.

Then Last year out of pure nessesity while on a last minute trip, I needed to respool (The tackle shop on the way didn't carry P-line)

So I gave Vanish another whirl....not happy with it at all.

Coiling issues, abrassion issues, and general strength issues.

I suppose its possible the 3 spools I've purchased from 3 different shops over the years could all have been older or flawed, but that would be pretty odd?

I guess like many things one mans trash is another mans treasure but I gave that stuff plenty of opportunity, and it just didn't measure up for me.

P-line IMO is 10x better and for myself its an eductated, and tested opinion so I say burn away LOL!

Seeing all those pics of the Vanish burning put a smile on my face :D After losing a couple 3lb+ bass I'm done with it...I'm gunna burn too it so I'm not tempted to use it lol...report to follow.

I've used the vanish as a mainline...I just hate coping with how stiff and uneasy to manage it is.

If its good line i don't think there should be a problem using it as a leader. I dunno If I'm right but I usually use BPS XPS Fluro as a leader even though its supposed to be used a mainline. Never had any problems with it...which leads me to conclude that Vanish is Garbage :whistling:

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

had similar bad experiences with Vanish last Fall using it for steelhead leaders. I lost my first 3 fish at shore due to line breaks; the first two came at the knot making me think my reliable hook knots weren't so reliable, then the next came half way between the the hook and the swivel. I knew it wasn't from knicks in the line, so I just switched back to Rio fluoro in the same lb test and my troubles ended.

I think they named it "vanish" after seeing their fish swim away before landing them.

I bought a spool of 10 pound Vanish about 3 years ago with the intention of using it as a leader material but never did. This year I got back into spinning rods and away from baitcasters so I figured I'd fill a spool with the Vanish. I'd heard about it being brittle so I was a little hesitant but it's been good. Caught a bunch of decent fish on it and I tend to horse them in. I don't recall ever having had a breakoff with it (not counting snags on the bottom) I am starting to notice the occasional tangle on a cast towards the end of a seasons worth of use, could just be line twist as I never use a swivel on my spinning set up.I don't know if I'd buy it again at 20 bucks a spool but that's more because I like trying new stuff rather than any beefs with the Vanish.

It might be worth noting that I always tie a palomar knot; it's basically the only one I know but it seems to work well.

Yes, Vanish is junk and yes, fluoro-leader material is stronger and more abrasion resistant than fluoro-line.

For those who don't want to spend $10 plus on a 25yard spool of fluoro leader, you can use fluoro-line and some brands are better than others. Personally, I use BPS brand for leader material for most of my bass and walleye fishing but go to the more expensive stuff when I go after bows. It's just a confidence thing.

For those who are interested, go to tackletour.com and read up on their fluoro-line show down. It covers everything from price, tensile strength to knot strength. It is quite informative.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/...test-23589.html

well, i spool my whole reel with berkly vanish and yes the knot strength does suck BUT i just tie it randomly and bam lol i get a nice strong knot, i use it for trolling too and it worked extremely well with those super light biting walleye and YES i've caught a few salmon on it too, but now its time to re-spool with some 12lb berkly big game.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

I used it for 1 trip to Port D, was standing beside Canadadude when I lost 3 fish due to breaks in the knot, dont get me wrong im no idiot and know how to wet the line before pulling the knot tight. My buddy had the same issue as well breaking at the knot. If 50 people at Port can use the pline main line as leader material and have great success I dont see why it is any different for vanish, ahhh ic its GARBAGE!!!!! OH btw has nothing to do with ignorance other than yourself :)

I use 20 lb vanish leader material on my flippin and pitching setups for bass with 50 lb braid and never have problems. I'm also a knot freak, if it doesn't set or dress perfectly, i retie. have caught lots of muskie with these setups incidentally and never had a breakoff

As for the difference between fluorocarbon leader material and fluorocarbon main line, one is harder and stiffer than the other. Since fluorocarbon line is already quite stiff, it can be used as leader material.....depending on needs of the fisherman. It's much stiffer than monofilament leader material so maybe a fly fisherman can use longer yet finer leaders for some situations. However, when a fly fisherman uses long fine leaders, it's usually for dry fly fishing and since fluorocarbon sinks, it is not useful at all.

In any event, ordinary mono as leader material is terrible for most fishing situations.

What I find strange is the fact that most places only have 2 fluorocarbon lines and leaders....they are Vanish and Seaguar. From what I have read and experienced myself, these 2 fluorocarbons rate rather low when compared to other fluorocarbons on the market.

I have little faith in fluorocarbon and since it sinks too.....that is another fault in my opinion. Ok, some people will say, "How about a sinking leader for nymph fishing?". I say that when your dragging bottom with a sinking line, I like the idea that the nymph is just above bottom and not dragging on the bottom.