60" Muskie caught and released in Nipissing..

Muskieman

nice fish..........am I the only that has a problem with the way he is handling this fish?

What???... I don't see a gaff!!! :rolleyes:

Musky or Specks Posted Today, 08:26 PM

No Ive got a problem with it as well but the guy has probably never musky fished so you gotta forgive it. Now if he was a musky fisherman I would be first in line calling for a public stoning

Maybe y'all would prefer the wet index finger inserted into the anal vent hold??? :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

nice fish..........am I the only that has a problem with the way he is handling this fish?

I love fishing for musky and always respect the fishery....but shoot me if I become a "musky firsherman"!

Congrats to he who captured the beast!

Remember all......pictures don't always tell the whole story!

Rich,

Yes there is a need. The point of heavy tackle is so you can get the fish in when it still has some life in it. If you play a fish that size until it is completely spent, in warmer (July) waters, then hold it vertically for several pictures, then think that fish has a high chance for recovery when you release it, your dreaming.

It is (was?) a beautiful fish ... lets hope that with all the errors that fellow made, the fish made it too.

Cheers.

Sweet on a spinning rod to boot !!!! I guess there is no need for the 100lb line and boat wenches on a telephone pole for a rod to reel in a monster. Sweet fish

I didn't think there was huge musky in Nipissing, the last few years have seen many caught. That is good.

Obviously this fish was caught incidentally by a non musky fisherperson, so he was lucky. 20 years ago that fish would have been on shore dead. Seems like landing and releasing edumacation is trickling into the general public.

GCD... I like you idea on the holding technique... you're a funny guy....! ..

Nipissing fish are big.... I've personally have seen two, over the years, that would make that baby look somewhat small... just so you know... they can get even bigger...! :rolleyes:

What a beautiful fish though... ! And good for the guy for releasing it.

But now... if you were to catch a world record... would you release it....??????

As a camp owner (to help guarantee my kids' college funds) I would be very tempted to keep it and mount that baby... On the other hand as just some joe fishing ... I'd probably let her go...?

btw... if you really feel sorry to the poor musky.... my suggestion is don't fish for them...! Leave them alone... !

:worthy:

GCD... I like you idea on the holding technique... you're a funny guy....! ..

Nipissing fish are big.... I've personally have seen two, over the years, that would make that baby look somewhat small... just so you know... they can get even bigger...! :rolleyes:

What a beautiful fish though... ! And good for the guy for releasing it.

But now... if you were to catch a world record... would you release it....??????

As a camp owner (to help guarantee my kids' college funds) I would be very tempted to keep it and mount that baby... On the other hand as just some joe fishing ... I'd probably let her go...?

btw... if you really feel sorry to the poor musky.... my suggestion is don't fish for them...! Leave them alone... !

:worthy:

I would release it. The only way to guarrentee there will be trophic fish four the generations is to always put them back. If every trophic that was caught was kept, all you would ever see who be hammer handles. There is something special about slipping a giant fish back into the water and watching it disapear.

As for mounting, there are more than enough companies out there that can generate replicas without needing the fish. The ministry unfortunitely will not grant it to be a new world record without the fish though unfortunitely... if they did, the new world record would have been caught by Dale MacNair last November 28 of of the St.Lawrance near Gananoque Ontario. Pretty sure it was a 57x33.