Who to contact

misfish

I am so peeved off right now.

This jack off calls from CAA and just wont take no for an answer, so I hang up.The frigg,n bugger calls back and asks why I hung up?

What a jerk off.

I have emailed a complaint to CAA.Lets see what comes of it.

Heres the kicker in the whole thing.

Our number is unlisted,with rogers (WHICH i,LL BE TALKING TO ASWELL).He says we filled out a ballot back in November.We have had this new number for two months.

So back to my ? Who else do I contact about this?

SRY for the rant.

Your number was SOLD to CAA and who knows who else.

Remember they can only call 3 times then you can call the RCMP office and report them and they will be taken care of.

They have a unite that takes care of them fast

first thing i'd do is put yourself on the do not call list it takes a month or so for it to go on the list but it seems to have worked at our place. i just pulled up the link and it looks like theres a place to lodge complaints against telemarketers too.

do not call list

ryan

do NOT put your name on that list. my dad put it on that list still gots calls sometimes more. i saw a news special last year about that list. the telemarketing companies get that list of numbers not to call but in fact you basicly just gave them phone numbers to call. you handed your number right to them. the only people that acess those numbers on the do not call list are.....telemarketers!!

wow.. you musta been the same guy i had call us a month or two ago..

was the call really hard to hear? the guy was breaking up really bad and i was eating so i said 'not interested' and hung up.. he rang us back almost immediately yelling at me for hanging up on him.. he said we filled out a ballot at home depot.. i said 'bull poop we did', and told him to never call this number again and hung up.. that was the end of it..

mike

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SOLD?

Rogers is the only one that has the number.

Brian, companies like Rogers get paid good $$$ to sell off their customers personal info (ie phone numbers) to marketing companies.

Brian, companies like Rogers get paid good $$$ to sell off their customers personal info (ie phone numbers) to marketing companies.

Same things happen with mail addies. You buy the magazine subscription and a few monthws later you start getting stacks of book and mag offers in the mail. Some charities also sell their donor lists.

wow.. you musta been the same guy i had call us a month or two ago..

was the call really hard to hear? the guy was breaking up really bad and i was eating so i said 'not interested' and hung up.. he rang us back almost immediately yelling at me for hanging up on him.. he said we filled out a ballot at home depot.. i said 'bull poop we did', and told him to never call this number again and hung up.. that was the end of it..

mike

Exactly the same.

first thing i'd do is put yourself on the do not call list it takes a month or so for it to go on the list but it seems to have worked at our place. i just pulled up the link and it looks like theres a place to lodge complaints against telemarketers too.

do not call list

ryan

Lol, you actually believe your gov't created something that benefits you without generating a dime of money for them?

WHAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAHAAA AHAAAAAAAAAAAA <cough> <wheeze> HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Um yeah, the do not call list is a joke. Another truly Canadian solution......take a good American idea, and royally screw it up.

Brian watch this vid lol

That's only for the US, none of that info applies here.

Now if you REALLY want to get rid of them........

Telemarketer Murder Suspect

they called me few days back and tried to keep me locked in the contract

didn't have time or any interest to argue so just told him that i bought brand new car that it comes with road side assistance for 5 years.

he didn't have anything better to offer after that.

One night a guy called saying that he could lower my phone bill by "X" amount of dollars.... I showed some real interest to this guy just to get his wheels going.

I had him on the line for about 5 minutes and then I started bartering with him.... I kept pounding him with offers, saying I wanted this and that for cheaper than he was offering.... At one point, I dont think the list of come backs he has infront of him was enough because he was litterally speachless.... then the convo ended ! hahah it was great !

Im no Tom Mabe, but I love to mess around with these people !

The Do Not Call legislation works. Our calls at home have dropped significantly, even without putting our number on the list. I'm in a business that has depended on the cold call technique in the past. Many of us have realized that we might as well forget that method of finding business as the red tape we should go through isn't worth the results.

If you have done any kind of business with a company in the past 18 months they are legally entitled to call you again. That's why the ballots seem to be a good trick, although I suspect that if tested in law the ballot idea wouldn't pass the acid test unless it spells out the intended use of the information on the ballot you filled out. But what it does do is blow enough smoke up yer butt to get you to agree to talk on the phone.

As for any reputable company selling their mailing list today - I doubt it. Read any agreement (all the fine print - I know - it's really boring) that you've signed with that company and find some spot where it says they are authorized to sell or share your personal information with other companies. It might be under a Use and Distribution heading like it is on real estate agreements. In any event, it's required under the Privacy Act in Canada to protect the confidentiality of any personal information supplied to a company with whom you do any business. They must disclose to you what info they will collect and use, and how they will use it. If any of you have signed a real estate listing agreement or a buyer representation agreement lately look in the fine print under Use and Distribution and you'll see what I mean. There might be some tricksy wording in there that says they can share your personal information with other companies under their corporate umbrella or somesuch but if it's too vague the regulator will probably slap 'em down if it was ever tested. Our own legal counsel advises against vague language as a way to pull stunts like that. I happen to be involved with a group that reviews and amends all the forms used for organized real estate in Ontario and I can assure you that all wording is vetted carefully by counsel, and that's after our own group member/lawyer has cleared it.

I'm no expert but we've looked long and hard at this issue in the real estate industry and for what it's worth our people are being told to take it seriously. My company pays a lot of money to run a screening phone line that filters out calls (we try to make) if they're on the list. The business world is taking Do Not Call seriously. I suppose some businesses will be looking just as seriously at ways to fool the system though.

JF

It probably didn't have anything to do with CAA. The caller is just using the company name as "plausible cover" for a scam. Similar to, if not the same as this one:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-905-218-0759

Ignore the first few entries. Seems to be an attempt to seed the thread with false claims to legitimize what they're doing.

For the most part, the Do Not Call list has helped. But there are a few firms who have leveraged the list as a cheap source of numbers for their call list. I have no idea why so many people want to clean the ducts of my home... :dunno: