That got me to thinking....

Jigger

Just read Darcys thread about his hut getting broken into. It got me thinking about Northern hospitality. I've come across boats in rural areas and was always of the understanding that you could use these boats as long as you returned them in the same shape you found it in. But what about ice huts? Do the same rules apply? If you came across a hut and no-one was in it, could you bring yourself to fish in it? Or what if you found someone hunkered down in your hut, what do you think your reaction might be?

If it was a real emergency, I wouldn't think twice. Same with the boat. I've never used any of these boats and I certainly wouldn't venture onto the ice in the hopes that there MIGHT be an empty hut out there. Ayways, thats my ramble, have a great day and stay safe if you're going out today.

one spring when i was 18, I was fishing in the Kawarthas in my little tinny. The winds kicked up & swept me onto a rocky shoal & a pin broke on my old outboard (as a result i cold not get my motor out of neutral)

I took refuge in someones un-locked boathouse ( they werent there) untill the winds died down & i was able to use my little electric motor to get back. (luckily i wasnt too far from my dock)

I didnt have any cash on me so i just scratched out a little note & left it for the owner saying thanks.

Edited by fishdawg

OK maybe I'm just "old school" but unless it was an emergency situation I could not use someone else's hut, boat or whatever. One of the places we used to ice fish was between Manitoulin and the mainland close to highway #6. There were a few huts in the area, some locked and some open. We never used any of them but did mention a few times that if we had an emergency situation arise it was comforting to know that they were there.

Edited by Garyv

i think it would be dependant on the situation.. i wouldn't be upset if people were in my hut (or cottage for that matter) if they had to take refuge due to being lost, or someone being injured, but if it were just a couple of monkeys going out onto the ice in search of an open hut i would be angry..

and was always of the understanding that you could use these boats as long as you returned them in the same shape you found it in.

Most Cached boats on the back lakes have the drain plugs removed for a reason, so if you're so inclined carry one in your pocket. I've never heard it was okay to just use someone's boat because you felt like it. I know I'd be a tad ticked when I walked a long portage lugging an outboard and fishing gear, to find my back lake boat missing. Based on the chain and lock, these Northerners have the same feeling I think....

lte13.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I would never dream of entering an empty hut when ice fishing just for convenience. In my mind that's trespassing and wouldn't appreciate it myself. I agree with everyone else though....if a storm came up and the winds started blowing, and I was disoriented out there, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd worry about potential consequences later!

I wouldn't mind if someone used my ice hut....as long as they left it the way they found it. I do lock my hut however anyone can jimmy it open pretty easy. The way I see it...I only use it 4 times a month....so what the heck...if someone else uses it...it's fine with me. I don't leave anything of great value in it anyways.

Actually if someone needs a hut to use during the week day...just P.M.

Every year I make a trip about 200KM north of Cochrane...close to James Bay..and there is a cabin that we use on a lake that is left open....probably a fall hunting cabin. We make sure we take all our garbage....replace the wood we use, leave it cleaner than we found it and always leave something behind for the next guys....last year I left some candles, toilet paper and a nice fat COHIBA.....I'm sure someone enjoyed that.

Jason

With the exception of maybe duck blinds that aren't in use (and are public, anyway) I leave other peoples property alone. Doesn't matter where it is. Back lake boats and the like are usually left there for the convenience of those who own them. I've never heard of anyone leaving something as a "free for all" item. I think if I found someone in my ice hut I'd be pretty ticked off lol.

If it is not an emergency and you did not ask me before hand you may not use my stuff . I consider it a matter of courtesy and respect to check with someone before you use an item because what looks like an old knife might be a family heirloom. Some items have quirks that need to be explained like the hard to light heater that will flashback and possible damage the hut or you if you do it wrong. Since you did ask before hand it means that you are courteous, considerate and respect my property so chances are I would be happy to let you use my property.

Art

I was out on Simcoe with a board member whose kids were turning blue by noon. I found an open hut with a heater and lured them inside with chocolate bars, despite their protests of 'not being allowed'. I cranked up the heat until the little ones were comfy, and left $5 behind when we left.

I don't feel bad about that one at all. I know the kids appreciated it.

We stopped using locks on Simcoe. Just caused more damage. We now strip them before we leave, but leave candles, matches, can opener and some food.

Same as our hunt camp.

Just a slide lock with a note inside: Feel free to use, please don't Abuse.

Edited by Harrison

I have not had a hut for over 10 years now

but

I found the more you made it look like a fortress, the more people wanted to break into it..

terry1.gifso in the end we quit locking them, and just took everything home each dayterry1.gif

Edited by Terry

With the exception of maybe duck blinds that aren't in use (and are public, anyway) I leave other peoples property alone. Doesn't matter where it is. Back lake boats and the like are usually left there for the convenience of those who own them. I've never heard of anyone leaving something as a "free for all" item. I think if I found someone in my ice hut I'd be pretty ticked off lol.

So Duckblinds are Public !!

Had a Buddy who built a blind on his lake, when he went out to it,he found a guy in it.

Buddy; My Blind!

Guy; My spot !

Buddy put rope on his blind,saying I'd better move it then. :whistling:

He did.......with the guy in it :clapping:

If I built a blind, I would'nt consider it Public !!

We stopped using locks on Simcoe. Just caused more damage. We now strip them before we leave, but leave candles, matches, can opener and some food.

Same as our hunt camp.

Just a slide lock with a note inside: Feel free to use, please don't Abuse.

I wouldn't eat canned food that had been frozen unless I thoroughly inspected the can or was unable to leave and hadn't eaten for several days...

If canned foods have frozen, they may still be safe to eat. Safety will depend on the condition of the can or jar. To evaluate safety, consider the following:

Metal Cans

If the seams are still intact, the food is safe to use. Thaw gradually and store at room temperature.

If the seam has broken and the food has thawed to room temperature, it should be discarded.

If the seam has broken and the food is still cold (refrigerator temperature or below), it may be safely salvaged. Transfer it to a container and either store it in the refrigerator or refreeze for future use.

All food that has frozen in tin cans should be examined carefully for spoilage before use. For an extra margin of safety, boil low acid foods (meats, fish, poultry and vegetables) for 10 minutes before using.

Glass Jars

If jars have cracked or broken during freezing, the food should not be used.

If the seal is still intact, the food is safe to use. Thaw gradually and store at room temperature. Recheck seals after thawing.

If the seal has broken and food has thawed to room temperature, it should be discarded.

If the seal has broken and the food is still cold (refrigerator temperature or below), it may be safely salvaged. Store in the refrigerator or refreeze for future use.

All food that has frozen in glass jars should be examined carefully for spoilage before use. For an extra margin of safety, boil low-acid foods (meats, fish, poultry, vegetables) for 10 minutes before using.

In General

Discard any product with an off-color or odor. DO NOT TASTE food that looks or smells or looks suspicious.

Texture changes of canned vegetables and pasta may occur during freezing. Although mushy, these foods are safe to eat if the can is intact and not swollen.

So Duckblinds are Public !!

Had a Buddy who built a blind on his lake, when he went out to it,he found a guy in it.

Buddy; My Blind!

Guy; My spot !

Buddy put rope on his blind,saying I'd better move it then. :whistling:

He did.......with the guy in it :clapping:

If I built a blind, I would'nt consider it Public !!

So your buddy totalled a duck blind he built because someone else was in it?? :blink: Good job.

I guess if duck blinds were anything elaborate where I hunt I'd feel differently, but they're usually just built into the shoreline - nothing special. If someone gets up earlier and beats you to a spot, it can be disappointing, but there's nothing you can do about it. It's crown land.

Edited by Northhunter