never underestimate the power of chance!!

brkygetr

and NO my weekend wasn't better than yours !

well then I feel for ya...cause you know Wayne I have been in a lot worse situations that turned out way better, ...'normal and somewhat non-eventfull' I guess you could say.

The part that bites my ass is that i have been in and out of that launch close to 50 times and never had a problem...regardless I hope your weekends improve.

I drove a 5 speed pick-up for years. At the ramp I always set the parking brake hard, put it in 1st gear & turned off the engine.

Always held my foot on the brake and eased off gently until I felt the weight of the truck rest on the parking brake. If I had any doubts, I released the brake and did it all over again. On steep ramps, I even threw a piece of wood under a rear tire is case the truck started sliding back.

The fact that it's a steep ramp probably had a lot to do with what happened.

Glad you're OK. Hope the damage to the boat and truck was minimal.

I drove a 5 speed pick-up for years. At the ramp I always set the parking brake hard, put it in 1st gear & turned off the engine.

Always held my foot on the brake and eased off gently until I felt the weight of the truck rest on the parking brake. If I had any doubts, I released the brake and did it all over again. On steep ramps, I even threw a piece of wood under a rear tire is case the truck started sliding back.

That wouldn't happen to be "Morning Wood" would it???

Chocking the tires on a steep ramp with a standard transmission is always a good idea!!!

... are you learning anything here brkygetter???

are you learning anything here brkygetter???

funny thing is i know better, I have been doing this for a while...I gues this is why it never pays to become complacent about your abilities or actions, hence the probability of chance. Usually i would have thrown a rock under the tire but this particular time ( and others that turned out fine) i did not as one was not readily available...and I did shut off the truck in 1st and let the weight set...I even shift the truck with my weight as i step out to make sure it will hold..it did. Just not long enough.

Wow that sucks big time.

I take it you had to sit tight overnight and wait for somebody to show up? That would be a long, looong night!

With both truck and boat in the water, how did you manage to have an emergency kit? Did some stuff float out of the boat or the truck box?

i too drive a standard 2 wheel drive truck. i lauched it for the first time this week, my heart was racing. taking it out was an adventure, i burnt sojme rubber pulling it out, kinda panicked when the truck jolted back when i took my foot off the break. i'm gonna try blocking the tires with something next time..........is it alright to do this?

tambo

Wow. Looks like the motor stayed out of the wter until the truck got pulled out and then the boat flipped over. If that is the case than that kind of sucks as well.

Sorry to hear about that though. Good reminder to us to take care on launches.

i too drive a standard 2 wheel drive truck. i lauched it for the first time this week, my heart was racing. taking it out was an adventure, i burnt sojme rubber pulling it out, kinda panicked when the truck jolted back when i took my foot off the break. i'm gonna try blocking the tires with something next time..........is it alright to do this?

tambo

On a steep ramp, standard or not, good parking brake or not, I've always had my wife or a partner ready with a wood block when I say to put it behind the wheel. Usually put one on both sides.

It's a good idea to keep something in the back of the truck - you often can't find something suitable at a landing. Pieces of split log (triangular cross-section) work well. Big enough so the wheel can't ride over them, and kicked in hard to lessen the chance of them sliding.

Before you even back up, you need to check carefully that there isn't an underwater "lip" that your trailer tires can fall off of as you let the trailer into the water. So many lauches are 'broken up" or "unimproved", up north anyway.

EDIT - the thing about not launching properly (on gravel anyway) is that you can bugger up the launch for other people, or for yourself the next time. If you tromp on the gas and spin your wheels, you loosen the gravel and dig holes.

Edited by Jocko

I'd turn the truck off and leave it in gear.. There is no way the weight of the trailer is going to pull it in the water, especially with the e-brake engaged... Make sure the boat is unhooked before it even gets close to the water (tiedowns, winch, etc)... Even if you somehow screw up and the truck goes back a few feet, the boat won't be attached to the trailer so it won't pull the rear wheels of the truck off the ground..

If I was using a 2wd truck, I'd always have a winch just in case.... Nothing worse then 2wd and no weight in the bed... Pretty useless.

I'd turn the truck off and leave it in gear.. There is no way the weight of the trailer is going to pull it in the water, especially with the e-brake engaged... Make sure the boat is unhooked before it even gets close to the water (tiedowns, winch, etc)... Even if you somehow screw up and the truck goes back a few feet, the boat won't be attached to the trailer so it won't pull the rear wheels of the truck off the ground..

If I was using a 2wd truck, I'd always have a winch just in case.... Nothing worse then 2wd and no weight in the bed... Pretty useless.

Bill

You don't want to completely disconect your boat before you launch it, especially if you have a roller trailer.

You're boat will have a very good chance of rolling off the trailer before it gets near the water.

Always disconect your winch strap after the boat is floating.

I loosen off the stap about a foot so the boat doesn't bind on the nose roller.

Bill

You don't want to completely disconect your boat before you launch it, especially if you have a roller trailer.

You're boat will have a very good chance of rolling off the trailer before it gets near the water.

Always disconect your winch strap after the boat is floating.

I loosen off the stap about a foot so the boat doesn't bind on the nose roller.

Hey Dave,

Never thought of the trailers with rollers. I know on ours, the boat isn't going anywhere, even on the steepest of ramps with everything disconnected.

But it's only a 15ft tinny, not the heaviest boat out there.

Hey Dave,

Never thought of the trailers with rollers. I know on ours, the boat isn't going anywhere, even on the steepest of ramps with everything disconnected.

But it's only a 15ft tinny, not the heaviest boat out there.

Is it honestly worth the risk?