New Motor, An Engineering Marvel And A Question About Trim Tabs

solopaddler

Mike I think a 5 mph minimum speed is also probably dangerous... I remember my old 90 had one prop that would only get me down to 5 and docking in tight places was a real pain..had to push it in and out of gear. Check it with a GPS before spending any money.

Mike I think a 5 mph minimum speed is also probably dangerous... I remember my old 90 had one prop that would only get me down to 5 and docking in tight places was a real pain..had to push it in and out of gear. Check it with a GPS before spending any money.

I will thanks. At this point I'm hoping a simple adjustment of the idle screw is the answer though..

I'll just stop by, sit my widening arse down in your Lund and that'll likely correct "our" troll speed. :D

Nice purchase Mike. It'll be perfect once you sort out this little glitch.

If that doesn't work you can always get a bigger boat to go with the bigger motor!!!! :lol:

I'll just stop by, sit my widening arse down in your Lund and that'll likely correct "our" troll speed. :D

Nice purchase Mike. It'll be perfect once you sort out this little glitch.

Your welcome anytime bro. Hope your search is going well...

If that doesn't work you can always get a bigger boat to go with the bigger motor!!!! :lol:

Well actually I've already been compelled to look at possibly a different boat.

I like this one :) :

http://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/p...ish-DLX-BT.aspx

I've got to believe there is some problem with that motor. At very minimum you should get down to 2.5 mph, and I would be more inclined to believe 2 mph is possible. Since the motor has already had a break-in period I would take it back to them, something isn't right.

Excellent boat Mike. This is the one I run.

P62005691.jpg

Roy that is one sweet rig!

I've got to believe there is some problem with that motor. At very minimum you should get down to 2.5 mph, and I would be more inclined to believe 2 mph is possible. Since the motor has already had a break-in period I would take it back to them, something isn't right.

The motor's now at my camp 7 hours north so that's where it'll stay 'till the end of the season anyway.

If I get desperate there's a Yamaha dealership in Rouyn 20 mins away...

Beyond the fast trolling speed the motor runs perfect, I'll get it figured out.

Coming out of Hastings I would guess that motor was propped for a rental pontoon boat. First thing to do would be to check the specs. for wot rpm and idle rpm.

Does that have power trim, you might drop some speed by trimming up and loosing some thrust.

The props fine as he's running about 5500 at WOT.

No power trim.

Please solve this problem as I have the same engine but it is a 2005 40hp with power trim. I just bought it a month ago from a friend, he said that the place he bought it from told him that is the only issue with the 4 stroke Yamahas is that they are not for trolling.

Please solve this problem as I have the same engine but it is a 2005 40hp with power trim. I just bought it a month ago from a friend, he said that the place he bought it from told him that is the only issue with the 4 stroke Yamahas is that they are not for trolling.

Well there you go LOL! (Other than the new 09's with the throttle switch)

I'm going to fiddle with the idle and I broke down and did order the Pro Troller Trim Tabs.

They're guaranteeing me they'll work or they'll refund my money so it's a no brainer.

I'll post an update probably later this month....

Glad you found Mike @ Hastings Marine. Great people there, family run business. I bought my boat and motor there too. 50, 4 stroke Yamaha. I just breathe on the key and it starts every time !!! As for the trolling thing.....I just use a drift sock attached to the front cleats, works gr8.