Got to be my worst days fishing yet

ben306

Well, since getting here 9 weeks ago, I've had some good fishing (1st bass ever, 30lb+ carp, plenty of pike), aswell as some not so good fishing. But after fishing yesterday, I have to say it was one of the worst days fishing I have ever had.

Having fished the rouge last week (got a lift), I thought I'd jump on the TTC to try the humber seeing that the island ferries still aren't running and Im stuck to where I can get on public transit. The fact that visibility is on a few inches, it kinda put lure fishing out completely.

Anyhow, spotted abit of movement in the shallow marshes just up from the bridges by the mouth of the river. Sweetcorn and float fishing tactics, 2 hours later I gave up and walked upstream to try and find alternative spots, no chance, the lack of places to cast a line started to get to me, so I marched over the High Park.

After arriving at high park, I thought Id walk to the top end (the bloody long way). Kids everywhere, weeds like you wouldnt believe, and tbh its got to be some of the crudest fishing I have ever seen. Anyhow, found a spot and managed to catch a handful of crappies and a very small bass. until more kids and even adults started casting over me, so off I march as for me, this just isnt fishing for me.

Decided then to go and try the Humber Bays, just west of the humber river, so yet more walking. Anyhow after working alot of the water I called it a day.

I really am feeling the effects of being stuck without a car now, and Im not one to fish in such busy surroundings, I like the peace and quiet, I came away from yesterday after 7hrs feeling like I'd walked more than I fished, and feeling stressed out. That just isnt fishing to me!!

Think I need to get back up to the rouge where I had some quiet time at least.

So anyone got any suggestions where else I could go to save me another wasted days fishing lol

man, it's gonna be hard without a car...most good places, not crowded are always away from cities...i fish around KW area and is allway busy, but if i want some nice, really productive fishing i go north... :canadian:

I hate to say but I agree with Gino - With no car or boat you're going to have a difficult time finding peaceful fishing in Canada's most populated city. If you're able to go north there is a lot more what you're after.

I'm like you though, I hate fishing around others! I'm lucky to have a fishing partner who has a real passion and has picked up a tin boat.

My suggestion would be to find a fishing partner, one with a car that is. Try to plan small trips and split on gas.

Days out on the lake/river is never a wasted day man.

You did managed to catch some crappie+bass so you didn't skunk, and they're not really the easiest things to catch at high park as well. There's always going to be some good days and some bad days.

Heck, in 3 years of carp fishing I still haven't caught one over 30lbs and you got one in 9 weeks <_<

Just keep at it and you'll get'em.

its the bad days that make the good days ...that much sweeter....persistence and patience is key...keep pluggin away ...your luck will turn for the better

keep in mind ...with a line in the water ..you stand a chance....sitting at home your guaranteed NO Chance at landing one

Keep on the GO train to Ajax and fish Duffins creek. You can get spots where you are all alone and whould swear you were out of the city and up north.

Sounds like a plan thanks. Good fishing??

and Im not one to fish in such busy surroundings, I like the peace and quiet, I came away from yesterday after 7hrs feeling like I'd walked more than I fished, and feeling stressed out. That just isnt fishing to me!!

As soon as I finished reading this I was chuckling, my first thought....sounds like a day chasing steelhead on the tribs LOL

Shore fishing can be tough and the great days can be few and far between. You were able to get into fish which would make it a good day to me. I shore fish many nights during the week and I can tell you that many trips end without fish (was out 3 nights last week, 2 nights = 0, 1 night a 26.5" walleye). Not sure how far from the lake you are but if you can get there you have a shot at some great fish. Cannot find a good spot to cast from, surf style fishing and wading can be a lot of fun and produce some nice fish. Over the past few years my husband and I have managed quite a few double digit beauties (walleye, pike, salmon, trout, carp) from shore. Find a spot and learn it, work it through the seasons, learn what species are there and when, then target them, find another spot and repeat. To avoid the crowds, try fishing in the evening/night. Also, look for areas that get less pressure...sometimes it means less fish or sometimes it means that no one has taken the time to learn and work the area :)

If it helps you feel any better about your day....had a nice day out in the boat on the weekend, worked the water from 7am to 3pm looking for musky/walleye and the best I could raise was a few good crappie and a sunburn :)

Good luck and stay at it :)

Edited by bly

I remember fishing the Toronto Harbourfront while my parents went to the Ex.. right alongside the highway and catching smallmouth. Never saw another angler the whole time I was there.

Veer from spots that "look good" and just fish empty spots. You're on shore. Fish are near shore.. you are within casting distance.

Make your way down to pier at Port credit ... its a nice day on the water lots of place to walk around and get away from the crowds ... and a mixed bag opportunity

A day by the water is what you make of it ... sounds like you've had your share of good luck ... and a little tough work once in a while will just make it all feel like the good stuff is worth the effort ... too easy and you'd get bored quickly ... otherwise EVERYONE would fish the stocked ponds for instant trout ...

Try Duffins below Bayly in some of the deep pools you can find pike,perch and bass.

Out here in Mississauga you can go to the mouth of the Credit or walk along to Lakefront promenade(marina).

Years ago at the mouth of the Humber would produce pike and you can walk up the river a bit and try for carp.

Alot of the lakefront parks have rocky points jutting out into the lake.

Cast some Cleos or Coho's and you are bound to get something.

I use to fish down at the Bluffs alot and did quite well.

Don't get discouraged Ben.

Good luck and tightlines, B)

Kenny G.

Check the Go Bus routes and the Greyhound route...I know Greycoach comes up to Midland/Penetang and the stops are near the water. I think you can take a Go bus to Orillia, lots of choices there. same with Barrie. Head east as others have said....where there's a will there's a way....so many options to choose from...

Maureen

Beans sez:

If we don't have a bad day...

How in hell would we know if we had a good one ?

Just keep at it...damned if I didn't finally nail a 20 lb."mirror" on Sunday after fishing Carp point for four years...

• 1 month later...

Dude, you need to befriend somebody with a boat, even if it means compromising your integrity! :blink:

There are people everyday that fish alone and would love to have someone to tag along. Have you tried the Hook-Up section here?

Your fishing life will improve when you make some connections and get on the water. A car you can live without, a boat you can't. It's early days yet.

Good luck!

Jim

i hate crowded areas.

i remeber in the spring i was fishing a small hole, and 2 kids pulled in and i assume had thier gear all set up and ready to go ,because they poured out of their truck and had casted within 5 sec. and both managed to cast over my line. then they did it ahain and i told them straight up there aint no room for them,and if it happens again i'll toss them in the river. they didnt do it again but we were within 5 feet of each other and i was already annoyed. so i moved down the river where the action was no good.

hate city fishing.

but the funny thing was, that time was out on the chippawa.

good luck bro.