Canada Day Clowns

Jonny

We see pictures like the ones below all over the news.

Why do people have to dress so goofy for Canada Day? It makes us look like a bunch of clowns. And it reduces the status of the Maple Leaf to that of a logo for a hockey or baseball team.

Want to celebrate Canada Day? Fly a flag on your boat, your vehicle, on a stick, whatever. By all means, join in the festivities but do so with some taste.

cc1.JPG

cc2.JPG

Check the news on July 4th and you will see a lot of Americans doing the same thing as those people.

What they are doing is nothing else but being Patriotic. They don't want to carry the flag around all day so they wear it.

Edited by wallyboss

I have to disagree with you here. Canada Day is a celebration of our great nation and the freedom that we enjoy and are privilaged to have. If anything I don't think that Canadians are patriotic enough. If you drive through any community in the United States, you see the American flag flying on at least one in five homes. It would be nice to see more of that here.

The pictures that you posted are a great encouragement to the younger generation of Canadians like the kids shown, to celebrate our great country! Stand up and be proud. Don't roll over and be another one of those complacant Canucks.

hmmm.... I would have to disagree with you on this one Jocko!

I think we need a whole lot more Canadian patriotism....in whatever form we can get it. Those folks are just having some fun celebrating the great country we call home! What harm is there in that?

At my home, we fly the flag all year round and really go all out for Canada Day!

If I was an American, I would be more than proud to fly the Stars and Stripes as well. They are both great nations that we are proud of. I'm sure our friends south of the border will be doing just that in a couple of days!

Being from the states I don't under your beef about people wearing patriotic items or clothing. I myself will be wearing a US Flag proudly on my shirt and will have several flags out around my home. My father-in-law was a pretty close look alike to the Uncle Sam character in American History. He would proudly march in the 4th of July parade for the town. He passed a few years ago and I can still remember him telling me every year, this is a great country we live in. Be happy that you have the choices and freedoms of a free society.

Tom

We see pictures like the ones below all over the news.

Why do people have to dress so goofy for Canada Day? It makes us look like a bunch of clowns. And it reduces the status of the Maple Leaf to that of a logo for a hockey or baseball team.

Want to celebrate Canada Day? Fly a flag on your boat, your vehicle, on a stick, whatever. By all means, join in the festivities but do so with some taste.

I think we agree on this one. I'm all for celebrating our great country, but doesn't our flag, as one of, if not the greatest symbol we have, deserve to be treated with a modicum of respect. We deplore folks who deface our flag in any way, and it just seems that this is the thin end of the wedge when it comes to disrespecting the flag as a symbol.

It's fairly obvious none of these folks mean any disrespect but given the breakdown of so many of our old traditions of showing respect I'd like to see at least a few of them saved. I wonder how those same folks would react if the Queen or the Governor General appeared in public in a clown hat with the Canadian flag as decoration? I'm sure there'd be some indignation expressed.

All that being said I have a Bass Pro teeshirt with the Maple Leaf on it. Mea culpa?

JF

Some people are " over the top" in things they do ...weather its dressing to celebrate or socialize or fish???? whatever the case may be ....look again at the smiles on the faces in the pictures and try to tell me again how you could possibly think that this is demeaning to our flag...the joggers in the one photo are more then likely raising money for a good cause and the kids in the second Photo are making memories by combining respect and fun ...Pictures say a thousand words and it saddens me to think you could call these people clowns....sorry for your narrow mindedness but im proud to be a part of this CIRCUS you call Canada...

For the record....i dont fly a flag on my lawn or own any canadian flag clothing....i rely on the people of "over the top" to pull my weight for me

Does this make me unpatriotic??? i think not.. my heart is as warm as theirs ...but the decision is mine to make because of the flag they wear

I suppose you dont own any hockey jerseys or go to any games either ( especially away games)

just my 02 cents

I expected that my post would get some negative response. I stated it more negatively than I feel; at least people are showing their pride, though IMO in sometimes odd ways.

Please don't jump to the conclusion that I'm unpatriotic because I question how the flag is used. I'm as proud as the next Canadian of that flag. I was around when it was first adopted and even drew a picture in grade school of what I thought the new flag should look like (that was a big thing for kids to do at that time). I also remember that it seemed most people thought the new flag would never catch on. Well, it sure has --- a classy emblem for a classy country.

"Am I even Canadian?"

"Am I narrow-minded?"

I liked the responses better that just disagreed. :D

I don't have a flag at home myself but my neighbour she likes to wear her Canadian Flag bikini any time she sunbathes. And every time she does I stand at attention!!!

Now if Quebec separates I wonder if it is on the top or bottom part of the Bikini.

I like those canada flag umbrella hats

where to you buy them

they look great for a super hot sunny day

it would block a lot of sun but is open to let the heat out

really I would wear one, if I could find out where to buy one

I understand and was fully aware of what douG posted. In fact, I am slightly offended when I see our flag all torn and faded waving in front of a home or business. I believe that the intent of the law in the US was to prevent the actual flag from being disrespected.

As already mentioned, those kids do not seem to be disrespecting anything at all. Jocko, I would imagine that you are very patriotic indeed. I also respect your opinion on the clothing items.

Wishing all in the US a very happy Independence day on Saturday!