New PB

bullybass

So I went to the Perth area for our bass opener... 3 hour drive from Newcastle. We hammered the bass... nothing really over 3 pounds though and the pads weren't really up yet... but still between my bro-in-law and I we caught and lost about 100 bass... the norm for here... all largemouth... He caught a nice little pike and we got 2 beautiful take home walleye... his 5.4 lbs and mine 3 ish lbs... he was kicking my butt on all the usual... species race... amount... largest... first fish....

... but I got fish of the day with this beauty...

12 inches plate size... largest bluegill either of us has ever seen caught...

I know.. crazy... but wow... no weight on it but... it was chunky and feisty...

DSC04716.jpg

DSC04713.jpg

DSC04714.jpg

Great day was had... toothy bugger so I made him lip the fish and hold it beside my head!!!

bullybass

Edited by bullybass

Not sure if you are joking around, but Bluegill is a type of sunfish.

Very closely related but not the same fish.

The turquoise worm-like pattern under the jaw to the eye area is pretty much unique to the sunfish and not to the bluegill.

check the pics

first is bluegill

BLUEGILL.jpg

I agree that it looks like a pumpkinseed after checking out all the info.... thanks guys.

My bro said that he would have kept it and had it mounted for sure... but I don't think that I could do that and I am certain that my wife wouldn't have went along with that.

If it indeed was a pumpkinseed then it was definitely a record according to that site for Ontario... since that record sits 1 lb and 10 inches... damn I should have taken better pictures... I guess I will have to go back and see if I can get some more slabs!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone...he was great to catch!!!

P.S. We always said that there was something weird about this little lake in the fact that the fish are so strong... no matter what the size... I guess there really must be some steroids in there... :P

bullybass

I agree that it looks like a pumpkinseed after checking out all the info.... thanks guys.

My bro said that he would have kept it and had it mounted for sure... but I don't think that I could do that and I am certain that my wife wouldn't have went along with that.

If it indeed was a pumpkinseed then it was definitely a record according to that site for Ontario... since that record sits 1 lb and 10 inches... damn I should have taken better pictures... I guess I will have to go back and see if I can get some more slabs!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone...he was great to catch!!!

P.S. We always said that there was something weird about this little lake in the fact that the fish are so strong... no matter what the size... I guess there really must be some steroids in there... :P

bullybass

You should have some really really good fishing Karma coming to you for putting that magnificent specimen back!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I thank you on behalf of all the fishermen that care about our resources!!! :clapping: