Pickerel...er, walleye....what the ?

tilly

Yes I know KPCOGS. Its just something we teased my son about because the only ontario game fish he had not caught was a walleye and then he finally caught one right after the change in genus and we keep telling him hes still never caught a walleye its only Zander that hes caught.

Still wrong. Zander and Walleye are still 2 different fish, regardless of the genus. The Zander doesn't exist in North America.

Makes no difference what you call them. No one in Canada ever heard of a "Walleye" before the 60's.. until that point in Canada they were called Pickerel. And to all the posters who are saying they are Zander, the Zander does not occur in North America. They are an Eastern hemishpere species widespread throughout Europe and Russia. They belong to the same genus as the perch and "walleye", but are definitely NOT the same fish. The biggest difference (other than area of existence) is the size. Zander can reach immense sizes over 40 pounds. If you're going to call all similar fish Zander, you might as well call the Zander a perch because that's it's genus.

Mr. Morley may have joined our community to stir the soup. If that's the case, I will just let him stir. It should be ready in August.

Please get used to being courteous...we're not like other communities.

Thanks

Well, its here now. Lets spark an interesting conversation.

I argue with my co-workers all the time over this and they hate me for it. If you call a fish anything but its scientific latin name you can call it anything you want because they are just nicknames. Technically the only correct nickname for pickerel/walleye is Sander vitreus.

Now, is anyone going to call it Sander vitreus? Probably not. So I say, call it yellow skin glassy eyed fish for all I care.

As an aside I was looking at visiting a friend in the UK and fishing over there. Dang does Zander ever look like walleye.

Mr. Morley may have joined our community to stir the soup. If that's the case, I will just let him stir. It should be ready in August.

Please get used to being courteous...we're not like other communities.

Thanks

Don't forget the pepper..spray. :devil:

Well, its here now. Lets spark an interesting conversation.

I argue with my co-workers all the time over this and they hate me for it. If you call a fish anything but its scientific latin name you can call it anything you want because they are just nicknames. Technically the only correct nickname for pickerel/walleye is Sander vitreus.

Now, is anyone going to call it Sander vitreus? Probably not. So I say, call it yellow skin glassy eyed fish for all I care.

As an aside I was looking at visiting a friend in the UK and fishing over there. Dang does Zander ever look like walleye.

Exactly. I call Ruffed Grouse bush chickens. Am I wrong, am I wrong?? Are you gonna argue with me while I'm holding a gun? :D

Edited by Rod Caster

I'm afraid you're mistaken. A Zander, although being in the same family as walleye and perch, is a different fish. It only occurs in the Eastern hemisphere, mostly on the European continent and is much larger on average, the record being well over 40 pounds.

No one said they were the same fish.

However the former scientific name of walleye was Stizostedion vitreum. They're now classified as Sander vitreus. Don't see where Brad is wrong in what he said.

I'd suggest you do some research before you dredge up a 5 year old post just to prove how misinformed you are.

(Welcome to the board :) )

Edited by Mike Borger

Exactly. I call Ruffed Grouse bush chickens. Am I wrong, am I wrong?? Are you gonna argue with me while I'm holding a gun? :D

I've heard people call Grouse 'Partridge" before. As long as people don't use it to keep more then their limit I don't mind............. hmmmm...... think I can keep 4 yellow pike on Nippising?