rod storage while fishing

Rizzo

When I used to do most of my fishing alone, it wasn't a big deal to have a rod laying here and there. Now that I typically take someone with me, pretty much all of our fishing is for musky, and I have a few more rods than I used to, having a messy boat just isn't cutting it. I have a side console boat, 16 feet in length, with a casting platform up front. I was thinking of making rod holders out of pvc pipe and then mounting those on the front of the console, or on the floor just in front of the console. Any thoughts or suggestions to help me clean up my act?

Thanks for the link DanielM. I'm surprised to see how inexpensive the rod holders are from BPS, that's exactly the kind of set-up I was going to make myself...I guess that's why its inexpensive, you can do it yourself!

just watch for low bridges

shouldn't be a problem for my little tinny...but I can see that you might want to consider that Wayne! Just installed the batteries in the boat tonight and had a look at the set-up, I'm thinking side of the console might be the best spot. If I put them on the front I'll probably feel a little claustrophobic up there

Yes buy the Berkley ones Rizzo I picked up a pair they were 11.99 each.One set on each side no matter how rough it gets the rods seem to stay in place.

Here is a pic right side and no my buddy didn't fall over them.

IMG_0386_1.jpg

made my own couple years back ( left over pvc and s/s bolts) but think I may change em out for the store bought ones.

Mike what type of rod holders do you use and how do they mount ? My downeasters won't fit on the rail and can only be used on the transome.

tb

Edited by tinbanger

i'd recommend NOT standing them up vertically. they'll get in the way.

the pic efka posted is neat but wont work with 8'+ muskie rods

when we fish muskie, there can be about 10-12, maybe even more rods on board. one guy has his laid out with the butts on the trolling motor platform, reels hanging over the casting deck and the tips pointing out past the windshield. they aren't going anywhere unless it's really rough. then just pull them off the trolling motor platform. the other guy has his on top of the rod lockers tips hanging off the transom. seems to work well enough for us and sometime we're like a tackle shop on water.

Thanks for the link DanielM. I'm surprised to see how inexpensive the rod holders are from BPS, that's exactly the kind of set-up I was going to make myself...I guess that's why its inexpensive, you can do it yourself!

The ones from BPS are more stable then a single PVA tube. The PVA tends to wobble, the BPS model are really solid, because of the bracket holding it. Irishfield is right watch the bridges. I never had a problem with the rods in any way, I have 6 rods strait up, from 7"- 7'6".

Do you leave the hooks dangling from the rods when you have em standing up flopping around like that?

lol, I guess you've never been in a boat that uses vertical rod holders? That's all we use in my oldmans Legend and we've never had an issue with 'flopping rods' or 'dangling hooks'

Hell, my 8' Compre muskie setup doesn't even get in the way. Being aware of your surroundings doesn't take to much effort.

From EFKA's picture, does anyone know where I can get the cargo-mesh that is shown up towards the bow? I've tried Crappy Tire, Wally-MArt, Princess Auto and can only find much larger ones (like tailgate sized ones).

Also, what are the black "clips" that are shown attached to the gunwales? There are 2 port side and 1 starboard (presumably another out of range of the picture).

Thanks in advance.

Dan

on my 18 ft ranger I installed the rod buckle system, the rods sit on the deck and there really stable in motion no issues really 7ft2" drop shot rod fits good and i can still manouver around the deck no problems, but i don't normally bring more than 8 rods with me

Edited by ecmilley

From EFKA's picture, does anyone know where I can get the cargo-mesh that is shown up towards the bow? I've tried Crappy Tire, Wally-MArt, Princess Auto and can only find much larger ones (like tailgate sized ones).

its called cargo storage net, i found the elastic ones in one dollar store, but they have bigger holes in the mesh, still good in the trunk.