Some progress on the boat !!!!

Lunker777

Well, my grandpa and I have started work on my boat. While striping the paint, LOTS of things came to my attention... and also, I found out I have a "springbok" now as well ! haha the stickers appeared as the first layer of paint came off . The boat has a 64-65" beam... and is 14.5' long. So far we have striped the paint from the sides, sanded the surface of the boat slightly, removed the transom support and the transom, and started working on removing what we can of the left over carpet glue, the stuff is like ROCK !

Major issues that came to my attention:

#1- The rib between the first and second bench ( first bench being closest to the transom) has cracked on either side... one of the previous owners has tried to "mend" it by riveting steel pieces as braces.... BAD BAD BAD !!!!

boatupdate1084.jpg

Here you can see the main brace in the middle and he has pop rivetd to others next to it and just massacred the aluminim... Should have noticed earlier ! Rookie mistake!

boatupdate1083.jpg

Another

boatupdate1082.jpg

This is the other side... the rid has completely cracked on this side.

boatupdate1081.jpg

boatupdate1080.jpg

#2 - The boat was at some point SMASHED into a stump or a rock... the front end has has a massive dent pounded out pretty good. The evidence became clear once the paint was off.

boatupdate1075.jpg

You can kind of see the in perfections in the lines here.

boatupdate1074.jpg

boatupdate1073.jpg

This view is looking from the underside of the seam. This was the spot that took the brunt of the hit ! You can see the bondo he tried to fill it in with. The gap next to it is about a quarter inch wide, and you can see through to the other side.

boatupdate1071.jpg

In this pic you can kind of see the hammer marks. It was tough to get a good picture of it, sorry !

#3 - The transom support was cracking near the top where it boats into the transom. I tried to take as good of a photo as I could but I couldnt stop them from coming out blurry !

boatupdate1065.jpg

Right Side

boatupdate1057.jpg

Left side

I have no idea how I can fix these things ??? I have a customer at work that welds aluminum ? would it be best to give him a call ??

boatupdate1063.jpg

Over all !

Those are the major things, the rest is just stuff that comes with fixin a boat.

Here are some pics of the overall progress of the boat now.

boatupdate1053.jpg

Transom 1" plywood.... Still debating what we are going to replace it with... Oak maybe ?

boatupdate1047.jpg

boatupdate1046.jpg

I thought there was oxidization but it sanded right off... I didn't get a picture of the transom after we sanded it though.

boatupdate1068.jpg

BEFORE !

boat021.jpg

AFTER !

boatupdate1049.jpg

boatupdate1050.jpg

boatupdate1051.jpg

So as of now... I have to figure out how to fix those problems I have.... as cheap as I can !

Yesterday, I found a link for a website that sold all sorts of things for restorting/modifying your jon boats. They sold pre assembled braces that can be welded in place. I think that would be a good start, but I cant find the site any more haha !

So tonight we are heading to the lumber yard for the wood for the transom, the sealer, and some other misc things. Im happy with the progress so far... Total cost thus far.. $1065 ... Not to shabby. YET ! haha

Edited by Lunker777

Use marine grade ply for the transom, or laminate up 3/4" and possibly 1/2" ply by using outdoor wood glue clamps and weights till it has set. Then use the old transom as a template to cut it out. Paint with good primer all sides followed by 2 coats of quality exterior paint. Then use stainless nuts and bolts to fasten to the boat. The size of stainless bolts required may have to come from Brafasco or such a place as Home Depot's selection of stainless is limited.

The steel plates and hull cracks are going to give you a challenge. Have fun with your project and enjoy the rewards :thumbsup_anim:

I guess the previous owner read stuff here as well... all that damage hide by goop and paint! :D

So how much stripper did it take??

Hahah yea there is a lot of bondo it seems near the front... I'm not to worried about it... Think steel flex would work ??

It took about 3/4 of the jug to do the sides and a bit of the bottom near the front. We haven't touched the inside yet, but I'm pretty sure that paint can be sanded and painted over... its seems to be on there pretty solid, not flaking off like the outside !

There still is a bit of paint on the out side of the hull I need to take care of, just stubborn spots. Hopefully I can paint this weekend ? We'll see how the weather/time/budget are at the end of the week.

Edited by Lunker777

You said you had a buddy that can weld aluminum for you, so hand him the brackets and ask him to weld up the cracks for you.

Not sure of the best course of action for the rib.

It would be nice to see a wide shot of the area.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Great job:

Get rid of the steel plate and have your welder customer weld the hull and transom cracks and then weld doublers in place over the repairs - if he knows welding he can do it right. Keep in mind the clearance for the bolt heads in the transom brackets.

Like was already mentioned; glue together two pieces of 3/4" plywood for the transom and seal and paint it.

Get your repairs done, get it painted, in the water, and go fishing with your Grandpa, after you use it for a while the minor dents and scratches will blend - its called character.

Dan

Enjoy the time you spend with your Grandpa.

Well.. I wouldn't bother welding it at all... just have an aluminum doubler made up the next gauge heavier and rivet it over top. Get rid of the steel of course... steel + aluminum is like the plates of a battery and you're risking the erosion of the aluminum.

Remember.. welds never crack.. the parent material beside the weld does... even in 4130 chrome moly steel.

Edited by irishfield

Well, Little update on the boat.

While I was at work, My grandpa went ahead and got rid of those rusty steel braces. I was thinking it was going to be a tough ugly job but he went through it easy ! Seems to always go that way with him haha

009.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

In this gay man you can see the mess the guy tried to fix the many leaks Im guessing came with all those rivets. Im looking at putting "steelflex" on it once I have the rivets back in place and everything !

015.jpg

So that's the priority at the moment. Once that's done.. and the cracks are welded and everything is sturdy again. The transom will go back in. Then the steel flex put on, paint... once that's dry and I'm happy..It'll be time to work on the inside !

Thanks for tuning in everyone !

I think we have the same kind of boat. I got the plastic to redoe the transom for about 35.00

If you look at the top of the bracket on my boat it was doing the same thing. I drilled thru and put a bolt. It hasn't moved in 4 years. The person that had the boat before me had it overpowered.

P3210002.jpg

Edited by wallyboss

I think we have the same kind of boat. I got the plastic to redoe the transom for about 35.00

If you look at the top of the bracket on my boat it was doing the same thing. I drilled thru and put a bolt. It hasn't moved in 4 years. The person that had the boat before me had it overpowered.

Hey.... Looking at the back of your boat it looks similar. But the floor has some grooves runnin through it that mine doesn't have. Mines a "Springbok Aluminum" and I think I have narrowed it down to the early 80's ?

A previous owner may have hit something to cause the damage to the boat. But I know those older springboks were famous for splitting around midship.

When you say midship... Do you mean right where its already splitting ? or is there more to it than that ? Im hoping that welding some braces in there will help the structure a bit ! Or at least stop it from cracking for a few more years

When you say midship... Do you mean right where its already splitting ? or is there more to it than that ? Im hoping that welding some braces in there will help the structure a bit ! Or at least stop it from cracking for a few more years

Ya, exactly where you are working on it, somewhere around the middle seat, or between the rear seat and the middle seat. I've see a couple like that over the years and once when I was looking to buy a boat, I had someone tell to stay away from them because of that fault.

I was never told the exact reason why they do it, just that it was common. Obviously a manufacturing issue.

Ya, exactly where you are working on it, somewhere around the middle seat, or between the rear seat and the middle seat. I've see a couple like that over the years and once when I was looking to buy a boat, I had someone tell to stay away from them because of that fault.

I was never told the exact reason why they do it, just that it was common. Obviously a manufacturing issue.

Yea its between the rear and mid seat. Its the only rib that is between them !

I never noticed the cracks... I guess I was a little excited because I found the boat and it was for the deal I got it at ya know ??? hahah If I would have noticed them, I bet ya I would have bought it for $6-700 !

Oh well, Live and learn I guess..... It'll get fixed and we'll move on hahah

I just don't know the best way to go about fixing the problem... :dunno:

SOOOO an update of the progress as of today....

I still don't know the route I'm going to go with the transom material... I can get all the Oak I need for both pieces of the transom for about $50.... Which is a good price.. I know I was told to go with plywood but the problem is getting the EXACT thickness of 1" like what I need. The oak would be planed to the proper thickness.

The cracks in the rib have been cleaned down to bare shiny aluminum... So we think we are ready for any welding that needs to be done. Also the transom support that needs to be welded is also all cleaned up and ready to go ! Once those things are taken care of, things will really start to move along I think !

Also, any gaps or imperfections in the outside braces of the boat were taking care of today so all the lines are nice and tight ! Another step closer to paint.

Stay tuned for another update tomorrow... time to strip the bottom and prep for "Steel Flex"

Edited by Lunker777

After looking into things a little more I have changed my mind about using oak for the transom.

I found some smaller boats for sale that use oak from the factory, so I would say go ahead and use it. ;)

I would give a couple of coats of sealer or Varathane though.

It looks like you guys are doing alot of needed work and will get many great years out of her after your done you are a lucky man to have your grandpa around to share this with these are the best days I cant wait to see her all done.