NF What ATV's do you folks own?

Rattletrap2

I PM'd Tracker (Don) about his, but I know lot's of you folk have them as well.

What can you tell me to look for..or stay away from for that matter.

I would be looking at one for just running around on, and of course also doing a little work (snow plowing and hauling wood) and fun on the ice for ice fishing. I would think for use in the snow, 4 x 4 is a must, but what about engine size or brands?

Thanks

I bought a used 2000 Polaris Magnum 325. It has worked just fine for me for what I need. It does not go really fast, maybe up to a bit over 60 kmh, but speed is not a requirement for me.

It has a low range, which I am appreciating more every time I use it. It is 4 wheel drive, but the 4x4 selection does not activate until rear wheel slippage is sensed. So even if 4x4 is activated, it is still in 2x4 mode.

It does not go to well in snow deeper than 9 inches or so, larger displacement engined quads will probably not have as much of a problem in this area as mine.

One thing you have to watch out for with the larger displacement machines is they do not fit into the back of a pickup truck, width wise, or length wise, you have to leave the tailgate down, or trailer them. So take that into consideration if you plan to put it in the back of a truck. Get the specifications from the manufacturers website ahead of time.

AND, beware of offers like a free winch. Yes, the winch is free when you purchase the quad, but it is not installed on the quad, you have to buy the mount, and pay for it and the winch to be installed, unless you can do it yourself. Can you say shop rates lol?

Using it on the lakes for fishing is just fine, if there is not much snow or slush, but nothing beats a snowmobile in this area. They are designed for snow, and with their speed and footprint can blast through heavier snow and slush areas way better than a quad.

Get either one stuck though, and your are there for probably half an hour shoveling. Been there, done that, too often, lol.

As for model or manufacturer, you will get any number of responses from people about pros and cons of manufacturers. Honda is still probably the best machine out there, but their price reflects that also.

I have seen recently in the classifieds up here '86 or older honda trikes with asking prices of $2,000.00????????

It's a trike, and its 20 yrs. old?????

But, people will pay that for them, its insane.

I paid 4600 for my quad back in 2002, and it is 14 years newer than those Honda trikes.

Hey, they all work, stick with one of the major manufacturers, and take proper care of it. Don't abuse it too much, and it will serve you well.

Guest skeeter99

2005 yamaha kodiak 400

4x4

independant rear suspension

mudlite tires on c 4 rims

carb kit

K&N filter and outwears pre filter

exhaust power tip

reverse override

speed limiter override

high lifter 2 inch lift kit

my 400 will do about 93 km's (gps)

it will outrun most 500's

had it up past the headlights in snow in the bush up north and just pushes through no problem

as for bikes to stay away from they are all good except I would say stay away frompolaris 3 of my buddies have them and they have had lots of trouble, engine/electrical etc.

IMO suzuki makes the best atv but really overpriced, even though I have a yammy

Edited by skeeter99

Thanks guys...all good info. Please keep the opinions coming.

Tom, I can see what you mean about the sled being better in the deep stuff, but down here, I think I could get more hours of use out of the quad.

Skeeter99, is yours very similar to the one your buddy just sold? Wish I had seen that one sooner! LOL

Smokey, is the 400 to 500 range about the norm? I can't see getting a machine up over 600, but if the right deal came aliong, who knows.

Anyone push snow with one?

Guest skeeter99

yes it is the same bike he just did not do any of the mods, to get the max horsepower out of the machine

the guy who bought that got a great deal

plow

box

front rack cargo carrier

and a rear mounted on rack ice hut

it was a sweet setup for simcoe he was self sufficient on the ice everything on the bike and what he carried had a place

the 400 to 500 range is about normal way more that u need u can only go so fast on the trails anyway, just like sleds guys have got the 800's and 1000's only good for lake running, but on the trails the 500 and the 800 are equal

Edited by skeeter99

2005 yamaha 400 4x4

2006 yamaha 400 4x4

got a plow,winches, back seat/storage box and a ice fishing sled to pull on the back.

These bikes are great all around.

4 wheel drive at the push of a button, independant suspension, a 12 volt lighter plugin and the price won't break the bank.

Great bikes, i've got over 6000kms on one and about 3000kms on the other.

MaxandMishu.jpg

I had a 97 polaris Explorer 300, it wasn't fast but boy could it work, I had a few very minor problems with it over the years, the coolong fan had to be replaced about 4 times (mostly my fault, got branches jamed in it.....) I would probably still have it today except I was being a bit of a show off last summer. Three friends and I were on a ride and came to a big mud hole.... They all stoped and I said "I've been through worse than this"..... Ya, well as they threw me a rope; get the picture. Wouldn't have been too bad if it was just water but it was more like a slurry and it got into every part of the engine. I did take it to a dealer and get everything flushed but the mechanic warned me that silt had gotten into the bearings and everything and it's days were numbered.

I traded it in and got a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450, I'd have probably have stayed with a smaller bike but wanted something big enough to be able to put in some food plots with. Nice ride better clearance than the Explorer, plenty of power but I haven't had a chance to really get out and work with it yet.

Whatever you get, take the time to service it properly, they do need a lote of preventitive maintainance, most machines will last you many years if you just take good care of them.

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman 450es

Its a great machine BUT the next bike i buy will have 4 wheel disc brakes.

Hondas Drum brakes are terrible and are nothing but a hassle. I know the newer hondas have front discs and rear drums which is better and IND rear susp.... which i want :)

Id stay away from Polaris and cheap aftermarket brands.

yami/honda/kawi/suzuki are all i would look at

Edited by cityfisher

Thanks everyone!

From what I've read here and learned from a few others at work, I really don't need anything bigger than a 400.

I have no desire to fly through the woods at high speed, and I don't expect to make it work that hard... well except for haulin' my arse around. LOL

Deano, which machine is which in the pictures?

The Honda does seem a little more pricey, but the lack of belts seems to be a good idea.

If anyone has one for sale or knows of one out there, please PM me.

Thanks again!

No one has mentioned the Can-Am/Bombardier yet. The Outlander is an amazing machine. They have the best ride and power in the industry.Very reliable and have excellent power to weight ratios. They are definitely worth a test drive before you buy anything else.

2005 yamaha kodiak 450, love it, had a busted seal in the rear diff, when i got it, brought it back and they replaced and been A OK since,

seems pretty much everyone i know has an atv, all make and models, only 2 had problems, but more of a bad bike than make,

05 polaris 600? everything rattled like crazy, brought it back a bunch of times and dealer never fixed to satisfaction, put a claim in with polaris and they pretty much said live with it,

06 arctic cat ??? put mud lite tires and on his first ride blew a belt in a mud puddle, on next ride snapped an axle when he got wedged on a sunken log in a mud puddle (showboating) dealer said both circumstances were due to the over sized tires (not stock) and therefore not covered by waranty

Rattletrap2: There both the exact same bike, just different color and year. Green = 2006, Red = 2005.

Walleyejigger: That's a common problem, both my quads seals in rear/left axle had to be changed, but been good ever since.

Here's a more recent pic.

Icefishing.jpg

Older Yamaha Big Bear 4X4 350cc with dual range transmission. No need to buy a new one as it just keeps on doing it's job, and as far a terrain never been stopped with the dual range tranny yet! If you maintain them properly they will last a long time.

I'm with Gary..have a Big Bear 4 x 4 350 that I bought in '94 or '95 along with a 250 Automatic Breeze for the kids. They've followed my usual maintenance routine..the original oil change shortly after purchase and nada afterwards. Exact same maint schedule the brutalized Moto 4 - 70 has had with adults riding it since 1984. Can't kill them and why I bought Yamaha after seeing what the little Moto 4 went thru without failure.