MTO & Towing Capacity

superdad

Wayne,

My feelings exactly. The guy with the undersized tow vehicle is far more dangerous than guys like us. The problem with the way this rule is set up is that we'll be relying on the individual cop for using 'good judgement'....a highly questionable situation. So, until this law gets modified you and I will have to get the annual inspection costing probably $130+. I've booked my appointment and with my luck I'll get nailed on my way there. :rolleyes:

If you have white and blue plates even on a 1/2 to truck you are fine if you have White and black plates your truck is registered as a work truck and you need yearly inspections.

I'm good with my safarhi van and know I've had these blue plates on 1/2 tons so I would register my truck passenger.

Garnet

So?... what's the problem???... anyone that gets busted on this law is ignorant anyway and needs to be enlightened!!!

Do you really want to try to tow that 20' Lund with your Honda Civic???

If you have enough money to buy a nice boat boat or travel trailer... you should have enough money to buy a decent tow vehicle first!!!

What's so hard to figure out about that???

Towing on the highway is just like fishing on a lake, you should know all the regulations... ignorance of the law is no excuse!!!

but if you tow it with the civic wouldnt you be over the tow rating on the civic??

For sure... but you wouldn't be in violation of the requirement for annual inspections on both the tow vehicle and the trailer. You'd only be over the max capacity of the civic.. and not sure if there's a fine for that one.. other than the common sense law.

Too many flaws in what they present and what you get charged with. Here's the best example. Been told for 6 or 7 years that open chain "S" hooks are illegal and subject to, I believe, a $150 fine.

2009 MTO website show what...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/recr...s/part4.shtml#b

The apparent need for annual inspections for pull vehicle and trailer if you are over 4500KG GVWR combined truck and trailer.. and then they give you this on their website to determine RGW. So which is it.. illegal for a guy with a 3000kg truck GVWR... that doesn't exceed that amount on the scale with the added tongue weight of the trailer on... that only weighs 2000 kg?... or is he illegal because his trailer has a 3180KG rating?.. for a total of 6180 KG GVWR??

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/re.../trailers.shtml

Edited by irishfield

Oh man do I love my 16fter right about now!! Oh, don't forget my S hooks too........

What a crock of crap.......My trailer is just fine. I'm more concerned about some dummy running into me, than I am my trailer.

I agree, there are some shoddy rigs on our roads, but you can't enforce common sense, where the root of most of these problems stem from!!!!!!

Sinker

I was told, by an OPP officer, the rubber keepers weren't legal either.. had to be mechanically closed hooks!

The solution is to throw a camper insert into the box of your truck (that's right.. add some more weight!!!). Then neither the truck, nor the trailer (if under 4501kg rating)require an annual inspection!!!

Edited by irishfield

So, until this law gets modified you and I will have to get the annual inspection costing probably $130+. I've booked my appointment and with my luck I'll get nailed on my way there. :rolleyes:

Well Gerry... I hope you have better luck than I did. Figured what the hell... my truck was going in for it's 100K service anyhow yesterday. Complete service and inspection = road worthy in my eyes.. so have at her and throw a conformance sticker on it for me on the way out the door. So Monday my truck got the complete service.... was called and it was "ready to go but we didn't have a mechanic free to do the conformance.. so we'll do it tomorrow". No issue.. I had their loaner car!

So what was supposed to be an additional $129.99 for that stupid yellow sticker turned into an extra $708 with tax. What was apparently "fine for the road".. seized emerg brake pivots wouldn't pass to get a sticker. So with that work and new rear rotors.. because they were a little of of round ... wth... that sticker got expensive. Now I've got the boat trailer going thru another shop monday morning and we'll see what that little yellow sticker costs me to add to this. Next round... I'll take the fine!... or I'm gonna put a 5 x 6 pup tent in the box of the truck and tell the cop it's my "motorhome" and I don't require all the comforts of home !! :D

here is something that also confuses me..........

When you purchase a boat from someone else go to the mto office to gain new plates on the ownership you list the serial number of the trailer pay the taxes get the plate.....its my understanding that even after that the actual trailer isnt transfered into your name...that being the case Im going to assume there are lots of trailers out there not in the current owners name....and am I correct in this one

here is something that also confuses me..........

When you purchase a boat from someone else go to the mto office to gain new plates on the ownership you list the serial number of the trailer pay the taxes get the plate.....its my understanding that even after that the actual trailer isnt transfered into your name...that being the case Im going to assume there are lots of trailers out there not in the current owners name....and am I correct in this one

Ah, go check the registration for the trailer, it will have all of your info on it, why would it remain in someone elses name?

Irishfield is correct,if you tow with a lower GVWR rated vehicle you can be under and legal,just not nessecarily safe ;) .I just had a customer come in that was fined for this last yr towing his Z20 Ranger with an Avalanche and he just check with MTO officer's and got his inspection since his Silverado/boat are over the limit.Looks like I'll sell my Suburban,it's not legal without inspection for me to tow 2200lbs,what a farce.