MTO & Towing Capacity

superdad

So, basically if the loaded trailer weighs more than 2800kg's, then you include that weight in the GVWR of the truck.

meaning the truck's GVWR must exeed the total weight of both truck, trailer and load.

If the loaded trailer weighs less than 2800kg's, then just the tongue weight of the loaded trailer is included in the towing vehicles GVWR.

If the loaded trailer weighs more than 3000kg's then the trailer MUST be equipped with a braking system.

Safety chains should have a spring loaded closing metal clasp. Not required on light duty trailers, but impresses the MTO and shows conscious concern of safety which keeps the hounds at bay.

Annual Inspections are geared to Commercial Vehicles or where the towing or towed vehicle's GVWR exeeds 4500kg's, or any combination of vehicles exeed 4500kg. Ontario Annual Inspection Regulations

Also, make sure ALL lights on both vehicles work if installed.

The more respect you show for safety on the road the better your chances of hassle free towing...

Good Luck and Happy Trailering....

Will

Edited by Nippissinger

OK I finally read this thread and now I wish I did not

so if I get an under sized trailer I am good but if I buy a good sturdy trailer I could be fined...what the heck

I think the regs said if the trailer has a gross weight sticker you go by that, wouldn't you just rip the sticker off if it's too high.

and when I made my last trailer , they asked me how much I wanted it rated for when I was getting an ownership

guess I need the right hooks too, how did the marina sell me the boat and trailer without having the right type of hooks

The "S" hooks are legal just not the BEST....

Most tandem light duty trailers are around 3500kg GVWR and usually not more than 4500kg as this will put you into a heavy duty class requiring a whole bunch of legislation.

The trailers are usually around 300-500kg leaving 3000 - 4000kg for the boat.

I just registered a home built trailer and all they asked for was est. weight of trailer and number of axles....

I guess I got lucky there. I am only towing a 16' aluminum so the trailer probably weights more than the boat....

Just remember that if your combined vehicle weight is over 4500kg in Ontario we are required to enter scales...

Although recreational vehicles are still in the gray area as I see many fifth wheels rollin right on by and no cherries...So far....

If unsure it is best to write your Ministry and ask as many questions as you need to get the rules straight. If they ofer the rules in writing, print it and keep it close to the wheel....Don't trust anyone but the MTO as they are the all knowing of the Highway Traffic

Act...

So it may be best to slip the big boys and trailer the little skiffs...

Will

Edited by Nippissinger

Hi Everybody,

I've been following this thread all along and decided to do some checking myself. I called the MTO and they had to put me through to an enforcement officer and from that I learned the following:

First of all, I have a Chevy Suburban 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 3900kg GVW towing my 20' Legend Sportfish boat. According to this thread, I'm way over the 4500kg limit, I just don't know my boat weight and the stamp on the tongue (3500lbs/1591kg) is not what they go by. He wants actual weight rubber to pavement which he determines himself with pad scales.

According to the same website quoted before:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/re...ns/annual.shtml

It states:

"Truck"

includes, but is not limited to:

a.truck tractors, straight trucks, pickup trucks, curb side/cube vans, business use trade vans/panel trucks, and

b.passenger vans and two and four wheel drive sport utility vehicles while being used to transport cargo, other than personal effects, with one or more of the vehicle's rear seats removed.

This applies regardless of how the vehicle is plated, e.g., car, truck or farm plated.

He explained that the SUV's are exempt because of the caviat "while being used to transport cargo, other than personal effects, with one or more of the vehicle's rear seats removed."

The pickup trucks do not have this caviat so are subject to scrutiny. I guess this precludes hauling a bunch of appliances, furniture and a boat trailer which is less likely in an SUV?

Second, according to this website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/re.../trailers.shtml

He said that the actual trailer weight must exceed the 2800kgs in order for it to be included in the total weight of both the vehicle and trailer.

Bottom Line:

-Know your weights and keep them below 4500kgs for the truck but more importantly, the trailer below 2800kgs. He said that he'll still weigh you but at least you know you're below.

-SUV's are not targeted unless the seats are removed and replaced with non personal cargo.

-Pick ups are a target if their actual or GVW exceeds 4500kg. A 3/4 ton dually for example comes in at around 5500kgs so it automatically requires the sticker if towing.

-Regular single wheel pick ups could be pulled over and weighed for compliance.

-Having your rig weighed means nothing to him as that is changeable day to day. It's only a guideline for your benefit.

Clear as mud now? Sorry for the long winded response but I thought it may help everyone out especially the SUV owners. Make sure and inquire about your own setup.

Cheers,

Peter

So?... what's the problem???... anyone that gets busted on this law is ignorant anyway and needs to be enlightened!!!

Do you really want to try to tow that 20' Lund with your Honda Civic???

If you have enough money to buy a nice boat boat or travel trailer... you should have enough money to buy a decent tow vehicle first!!!

What's so hard to figure out about that???

Towing on the highway is just like fishing on a lake, you should know all the regulations... ignorance of the law is no excuse!!!

I agree 100%. I see on a weekly baisis people trailering loads that are way beyond there vehicles capability. If your trailer weight regardless what your towing requires that your vehicle should be a heavy duty vehicle such as a Super Duty or 2500 class truck and your endargering everyone on the road by pulling it with an uncapeble vehicle than good on the MTO for pulling you off the road.

Its not about what can get the trailer moveing but what can safely maintain the load at speed and what is capable of safely stoping the load at hi-way speeds.

Just cause your trailer has brakes means nothing if it is overpowering your vehicles brakeing under stoping.

The truck/suv should always manage/maintain the trailer not vice-versa.

Edited by FUSION