NF--- Britain's Got Talent does it again!

bigfish1965

I was once forced sit through a Canadian Idol, hopefull , at a safety meeting prior to her audition. She thought she was talented but she wasn't. She didn't make it. The next year she tried again and again. On the other hand Susan Boyle is talented .Have not watched any Idol show since the first year. Cheap entertainment makes a lot of money for networks etc.

This is why American Idol is likely in its last year...they NEVER come up with good stuff like this...

<div><object width="420" height="339" data="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="
/><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /></object></div>

I think that the two shows are quite different in their appeal and approach. One is looking for amazing talent in any field of entertainment and the other unfortunately is just a network selling a show, looking for ratings primarily and young, marketable singers that can be signed to contract secondly. Just my .02.......

Pop Idol was the UK show that spawned American Idol and is similar in most respects.

Pretty amazing to have that talent and not have nobody notice it before.

Yeah, some of the contestants are so off the charts in singing ability and stage performance that I wonder.

I've had this theory the last few seasons that some of the contestants are actually pre-selected, A&R scouted talents who have been planted into the group. It's excellent promotion and builds a fan base before an album is ever produced. Not only that, it tests the market for each singer via votes, tv/media, and online postings. In the process, it even makes money through the idol show rather than costing money in high-risk spending to promote an unknown.

Unfortunately, this woman could never make it in album sales because music sales are driven by image more than talent, but she could definitley work in somehting like live stage shows, movie sound tracks, etc.

Edited by j ace

I just remembered another foreign Idol who had the same deal. He was a blonde, funny looking guy and the arrogant english judge kept talking his goofy looks. I don't recall his name so i can't help you find him but his amazing singing talent crushed his competitors. He won that, then went on to World Idol where he beat Kelly Clarkson which never gets publicized over here, of course. All i can remember is he sang U2's Beautiful Day, Tal Bachman's "She's so High", and recorded a remake of "Stars Go Blue" in a duet with an established foreign blonde singer.

Yeah, some of the contestants are so off the charts in singing ability and stage performance that I wonder.

I've had this theory the last few seasons that some of the contestants are actually pre-selected, A&R scouted talents who have been planted into the group. It's excellent promotion and builds a fan base before an album is ever produced. Not only that, it tests the market for each singer via votes, tv/media, and online postings. In the process, it even makes money through the idol show rather than costing money in high-risk spending to promote an unknown.

Unfortunately, this woman could never make it in album sales because music sales are driven by image more than talent, but she could definitley work in somehting like live stage shows, movie sound tracks, etc.

The problem is that homely talented people are a dime a dozen, as cruel as that sounds. If one doesn't have the looks, they better have huge stage presence and a great sense of humour. The lady on the clip might possibly have enough of a schtick to get a shot. I have no idea of the stats but for every person who makes it to the big time there are hundreds if not thousands with even more talent who never make it. If you heard my brother playing guitar you'd wonder why you'd never heard of him. Fact is every one of you has probably heard him playing at some time in your lives, but I'll bet not one of you know who he is. His problem is that he looks too much like me, only skinny. The entertainment world is a hard cruel place to play.

JF

I just remembered another foreign Idol who had the same deal. He was a blonde, funny looking guy and the arrogant english judge kept talking his goofy looks. I don't recall his name so i can't help you find him but his amazing singing talent crushed his competitors. He won that, then went on to World Idol where he beat Kelly Clarkson which never gets publicized over here, of course. All i can remember is he sang U2's Beautiful Day, Tal Bachman's "She's so High", and recorded a remake of "Stars Go Blue" in a duet with an established foreign blonde singer.

I think that was Kurt Nilsen from Norway?

The problem is that homely talented people are a dime a dozen, as cruel as that sounds. If one doesn't have the looks, they better have huge stage presence and a great sense of humour. The lady on the clip might possibly have enough of a schtick to get a shot. I have no idea of the stats but for every person who makes it to the big time there are hundreds if not thousands with even more talent who never make it. If you heard my brother playing guitar you'd wonder why you'd never heard of him. Fact is every one of you has probably heard him playing at some time in your lives, but I'll bet not one of you know who he is. His problem is that he looks too much like me, only skinny. The entertainment world is a hard cruel place to play.

JF

I have to disagree... look at the Glimmer Twins!

I don't watch much television and have never seen any of these new "Idol" shows, but if that's the caliber of talent I've been missing, perhaps I should start watching them.

That lovely lady is a joy to listen to !!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

goes to show how the music biz has poisoned peoples mind. a lady walks out and because she isn't a 20 something skank nobody thinks she can sing. what reason did the audience have to be cynical?

johnf hit the nail on the head.

Not intending to steal the thread but Carlos Santana has been famous for years. He wowed everyone at Woodstock and I was listening to him for years before that. I was featuring his second album Abraxas in my grade 8 class. Are you really related to him?

Susan Boyle is now world famous. Hope to hear a lot more of her and she's now on the biggesgt roller coaster of her life and I hope she enjoys every minute of it. And somehow I don't think she'll be taken for a ride or taken advantage of. I think she has savvy.