Snow and irony

bigfish1965

So we're getting pummeled here. Maybe 30 cm or so. No big deal, I'll get the snowblower out. But wait..that $20 impenetrable lock I put on the shed last fall suffered some internal damage of some sort during the ice storm. The key won't go in. That's not good.

Stupid shovels. Need a bolt cutter now!

Rick,

It could be moisture build up inside have you tried using a small brazing torch to heat it up first? I had a similar problem with a master lock a couple of winters ago. I purchased a "solder it" torch from HD and it helped after heating the lock about 20 sec. I don't know if it will work with your lock though. Good luck.

Stan

Rick,

It could be moisture build up inside have you tried using a small brazing torch to heat it up first? I had a similar problem with a master lock a couple of winters ago. I purchased a "solder it" torch from HD and it helped after heating the lock about 20 sec. I don't know if it will work with your lock though. Good luck.

Stan

This is also a Master Lock. One of them expensive 'weatherproof' ones. I'll have to use something different than a torch cause it has the rubber coating on it. Will have to wait till I get home from work now.

If you don't have any lock deicer and have Isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol ) around just use it. It's the same thing Canadian tire sells in those little squeeze bottles for .99 cents each. I've been using it for years. Take the lock in and let it dry and put some good lock lube like graphite ( I use Krown T40 or Amsoil MP spray ) in the lock. It will displace water and under normal conditions will prevent freeze up. You can also do the same in your automobile door locks, works like a charm.

Rick, if you don't have any of the suggested products on hand, you could hold the lock in between your legs for a few minutes. (Try to do this under the cover of night otherwise the neighbours will wonder what you're doing to your shed door.)

Hope this hleps.

All of the above suggestions work, but I have had ZERO problems with locks, be it padlocks, or regular door locks like on my sheds, since I started putting regular 5W40 motor oil in mine. I used a small squeeze bottle to put the oil into where the key inserts, and also coated the padlock "U" where it slides in and out, on both ends.

Of course, some will leech out, and get on the key, your gloves, etc., but the lock will work.

Also, install some kind of flap of rubber above the padlock long enough to cover it, to deflect rain and snow away from the lock. It might not look handsome, but it is indeed handy. Less exposure to the elements.

This is also a Master Lock. One of them expensive 'weatherproof' ones. I'll have to use something different than a torch cause it has the rubber coating on it. Will have to wait till I get home from work now.
Yeah, that rubber covering traps water and moisture really good, get rid of it, cut it off or burn it off.

Try hot water on it, and spray the heck out of it with WD-40. It should open. Then take it inside the house and let it dry completely.

I have some padlocks that are completely exposed to the elements, and they always open, the package deal ones that are keyed alike, five in a package. Filled them with 5W30, let them leech out on some paper toweling and never had a problem since. I do re-oil them every year also.

If it still does not unlock, cut it off and replace it.

Hey Hoser,

Try a nice big hot cup of Get The F*** used to it!!! You're Canadian and you live where stuff freezes!... and speaking of freezing, it's gonna be pretty darn cold here today too... only goin' up to 52*F...

Glen, chill out will ya :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OOPS, did I just say that??

You don't know freezing, its -26F up here right now, and the temperature will get up to a balmy -9F today.