NY fishing license to increase next year to $70

bassfighter

It's less than 1/2 the price of a non-resident Alaska license, no need to complain.

In BC licenses cost $55 for a Canadian from out of province + $60 steelhead stamp + $30 Salmon stamp.

You want to fish sturgeon too? Add another $15 to $60 depending on length of time.

What's that? You want to fish the salt too, pony up another $106!!! Ok soI'm now up to $371 for all my licenses and conservation tags.

Now if you want to fish thae good water for salmon and steelhead it's another $20 to $40 a day for out of provincers.

$70 doesn't sound too bad does it? :whistling:

You know the licence is going to be $20.00 for residents right? And the salmon licence (seeing as salmon are ANYTHING BUT FREE to stock) is an extra $10.00 to help cover the costs of the stocking. Just because their economy has hit the skids, doesnt mean that you should have to pay less for something that still costs the same. You pay 300 for a rod and reel, 20,000 for a boat, 200 for gas to get there, and you cant afford 70 for a licence?

I also guess you didnt realize the non-resident fishing licence is $70.00 for Ontario.

Sounds like some of you guys either discriminate the americans, don't fish the NY side, or some just had a bad day and do not have positive things to say.

I am sending this info to those who buy the NY license and concern of the huge increase. If this email does not concern you, just by pass it!

I pay for the NY license every year for $40 and if the increase is close to double the original price at $70, of course we would try our best to support the person who petitoned, hoping something positive might happen.

WOULD IT HURT ANYONE TO SIGN UP TO PREVENT THE INCREASE, IF SOME PEOPLE NEED SOME SUPPORT?

WHich is more helpful to a neighbor, criticize it , or support others?

Sounds like some of you guys either discriminate the americans, don't fish the NY side, or some just had a bad day and do not have positive things to say.

I am sending this info to those who buy the NY license and concern of the huge increase. If this email does not concern you, just by pass it!

I pay for the NY license every year for $40 and if the increase is close to double the original price at $70, of course we would try our best to support the person who petitoned, hoping something positive might happen.

WOULD IT HURT ANYONE TO SIGN UP TO PREVENT THE INCREASE, IF SOME PEOPLE NEED SOME SUPPORT?

Actually you've got it all wrong. Nobody is discriminating against our American neighbours.

Guaranteed EVERYONE who's responded in favour of the price increase buys a non resident NY licence every year.

I definitely feel that residents of NY should not be hit with any increases, that's just not fair considering the current economic situation.

Pile it all on the non residents! I'd gladly pay double or triple the current amount for the privelage of fishing down there!

There'd be tangible benefits for all involved.

A visitor from NY state pays $66 for the priviledge of fishing Ontario. Only fair to see the same mark up.

Also, take a moment to consider how much more aggressive the NY fisheries dept. is with resource management and stocking. IT's money well spent. Ontario residents benefit directly from those efforts whether they buy the NY tag or not

Skip the emotions and look at the simple facts.

A visitor from NY state pays $66 for the priviledge of fishing Ontario. Only fair to see the same mark up.

Also, take a moment to consider how much more aggressive the NY fisheries dept. is with resource management and stocking. IT's money well spent. Ontario residents benefit directly from those efforts whether they buy the NY tag or not

Skip the emotions and look at the simple facts.

This increase in money is not going back into the fisheries. Despite what you think this is all due to Gov. Patterson's scramble to raise as much money to regain control of New York States defacit. The Salt Water Community here in NY is also for the first time being forced to get licenses. I'm not stating this as a bad thing. They should have had one a long time ago but to take money for a licence in a state and then use this money for something other then the fishery it was intended for is in my opinion just wrong!

Going back to the Fresh Water License, l do think it's just wong what the're doing with this. A increase of 5-10% over 5 years maybe... but this is just a blatent display of how little control the Government down here over their economy and they're trying to pass their losses onto other states and out of state residents. lt's unfortunate that this is going on. This state has some of the BEST fishing in the world and it's truely unrealized. This increase in the out of state license is just going to deter people from coming into the state to fish. God's honest truth I think people that did fish here before should NOT buy a license here this year. Stay up there, go to another state, go to another provence... Let them know that this is not an exceptable action!

Personally l feel if this state wants to raise money for their deficites then start up another lottery or have a freakin' bake sale but this is just going to keep people from making NY a vacation destination and thus doing more detrimental damage to the economy of the state and not to mention the the reputation of our great fishery!

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Salmon are expensive to raise, Ohio gave up long ago, money was better spent on other species. They closed the hatcheries dedicated to raising them and bought a cold water facility from a fishing club to raise steelhead.

I have fished in New York, not for Salmon or in Lake O but they do a better job managing their stuff than Ohio. It was worth the money to me to have 4 different licenses at one point. Ohio, Pa, New York and Ontario, and I kept a fish or two a year.

People think nothing of blowing a hundred bucks at a baseball or football game? For a traffic hassle and a couple- few hours? One fee and your set for the year.

Fishing is an expensive hobby. If you guys think an extra couple of bucks is going to deter someone from getting a license you're nuts. If you think someone is going to travel to a different state (or province) to fish over license fees you're even more nuts. Would you really spend hundreds of dollars (or possibly thousands) on travel because one state has a license that is 20 dollars less? New York State is convenient for millions of people in southern Ontario, quite a few of whom like to fish...and for the majority of them money is not an issue. Gas from Toronto and back will cost you as much as the license. Sorry to tell you but it will be business as usual and any petition will fall on deaf ears...especially because all those signing the petition can't vote!

I just found this link by accident, and some local NY anglers are concern about this non residence license increase as well. They are concern about their Canadian neighbor or those out of state, Why should they? why can't they say negative things as well?

The Main issue here is the huge percentage increase . The final amount is secondary.....

http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/showthread.php?t=7779

Well...you just had a bunch of Canadians saying they don't mind because they know it is the price of enjoying NY's amazing fishing. We charge them about the same to fish here..so its not a big deal. Even at $70 I doubt they get back what it costs to have a non-taxpayer use their resources. Compared to other jurisdictions, it does not seem out of line...no pun intended .

NY does far more than we do for the salmonid resource.

This increase in money is not going back into the fisheries. Despite what you think this is all due to Gov. Patterson's scramble to raise as much money to regain control of New York States defacit. The Salt Water Community here in NY is also for the first time being forced to get licenses. I'm not stating this as a bad thing. They should have had one a long time ago but to take money for a licence in a state and then use this money for something other then the fishery it was intended for is in my opinion just wrong!

Going back to the Fresh Water License, l do think it's just wong what the're doing with this. A increase of 5-10% over 5 years maybe... but this is just a blatent display of how little control the Government down here over their economy and they're trying to pass their losses onto other states and out of state residents. lt's unfortunate that this is going on. This state has some of the BEST fishing in the world and it's truely unrealized. This increase in the out of state license is just going to deter people from coming into the state to fish. God's honest truth I think people that did fish here before should NOT buy a license here this year. Stay up there, go to another state, go to another provence... Let them know that this is not an exceptable action!

Personally l feel if this state wants to raise money for their deficites then start up another lottery or have a freakin' bake sale but this is just going to keep people from making NY a vacation destination and thus doing more detrimental damage to the economy of the state and not to mention the the reputation of our great fishery!

FHR

It just might be that licence fees have not kept up with the cost of running the fisheries dept. It is a regular habit of governments to run programs without increasing the revenues. The result is a deficit that either has to be paid off or the service has to be cut. Ontario chose to reduce service.

Guest skeeter99

$70 that it not to bad

imo should be a $100 or maore even in ontario, nothing is cheap it costs money to run things

$70 would just be the gas to get there and back with some food

$28 may seem like a huge increase but if you compare it to the increase in Alaska's non-resident license it's not.

When I went to Alaska in 2005 my license cost me $55 as a non-resident. When I went the following year it had increased by $90 to $145!!!!! It had nearly trippled virtually overnight. angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

Neither; be truthfull with them.

Fishery related stocking, research, invasive species control, enforcement, ect. programs cost hundreds of millions of dollars every year. The cost of these programs need to be covered in one way or another. Since the people who use the resources are the ones causing a need for it, they in turn, should help cover the costs of it. If you dont want to help pay for it and not fish there for a year thats your choice, but in reality your only hurting the fishery more because the government will soon cut funding to the programs because theres not enough people using it and since they are already in debt, they cannot afford to keep supporting it out of general tax payers money because there are bigger issues that win them more votes than the fish do.

I tried to make this post a bit more positive for you lol.

Edited by xeon

Being from NYS it is about time that they raised non-resident licenses. Let's face it, as compared to other states, a $40 dollar fee for fishing was a bargain. Unfortunately the NY political regime is looking for places to create new revenue. Welcome to the land of fees and taxation.

As a note, kids under 16 years of do not require a license.

Most of the money will be wasted on NY City spending.

I am surprised no here mentioned how we non Ontario residents have to get a outdoor card this year. This is another way of just picking our pockets also. PLEASE tell me what the reason behind that scam is other than picking my and your pockets.