Rock Bass?

Joeytier

I regularly fish lakes with abundant supply of rock bass (to say the least), and instead of keeping walleye or bass for fish fries, I was considering having a rock bass fry. Has anyone here tried them, and do they taste like bluegills, pumpkinseed etc?

thanks

If you don't mind cleaning a lot of fish for a little bit of meat...they taste fine. Try keeping and cleaning a few before you commit to a bucket-full. You may find they're more hassle then they're worth. Like I say, if your patient, and good with a fillet knife (and sharpener) then go for it.

Perch are VERY tasty . . . crappie are better . . . bluegills & pumpkin seeds are good too . . . even carp, cooked properly are somewhat similar to bass . . . IF I caught big enough rock bass, I'd sure like to try it. They live in the same water as the aforementioned fish . . . eat the same food . . .. ??

Back when,we ate rock bass, sunfish and what ever else we caught during our camping trips.Pop could fillet a minna with no bones.

What I am saying is,it,s all good.

If yer good with a knife,you got no worries about bones.

Typically, they aren't as big as crappie or bluegills

WHAT???????????????

Hi ya Steve, hope alls well bud.

Edited by misfish

No more difficult then any other pan fish to fillet. Depends on your skill level with a knife. I Keep a couple every winter ice fishing if then show up and are a descent size. No complaints about the meat taste. Just a bluegill or a 'seed.

-Dave

typically, they aren't as big as crappie or bluegills,

yer just fishin in the wrong spots. :P rockbass get bigger than bluegill and they taste very good. only a novice to filleting would have a problem with rockbass so theres no reason not to eat em.

I asked the same question last spring and my dad went through the pain of filleting about 20 rock bass...now he wasn’t to happy to do it but i was happy to eat them, they were good but a bit boney.

sounds like your dad needs to buy you a good knife,stone and a 2 foot section of countertop. hahahha

just gotta give it a go, no better time to learn how to fillet then now!

My bro-in-law is a panfish fanatic and if memory serves me WGSF (rock bass) are a bit stronger flavor than bluegill, sunfish, crappie and perch but still good fare to eat...He does a fine job of filleting any of them (CPH does them better-but we won't tell him) :lol: