My Fishing themed Basment(Inspired by Nautifish)

Cookslav

Nautifish posted a report about her fishing themed room at her place that got my attention and I thought I’d share mine as well because it would then explain and hopefully excuse my shameful lack of fishing reports this past winter LOL!

I finished mine from scratch, so I thought some people might appreciate a play by play account, in case your thinking of doing the same…sorry for the novel but this little story was a 6 month endeavour, and There’s a point at the end I needed to share….

So bare with me, or skip to the end after the Pictures LOL!

I moved into our house last year…new baby new house I suppose?

But its always been a dream of mine to have fishing/hunting/camping themed basement worthy of entertaining in, so this new move made a large basement high on the priority/purchase list.

There was a lot of surveying involved, and measuring

“Measure 2 twice cut once” is what Dad always said.

gallery_338_481_20158.jpg

med_gallery_338_481_13310.jpg

gallery_338_481_97577.jpg

There was only interior Framing to be done which was nice as the basement was pre set with aluminum Studding around the foundation, and “most” of the Insulation was already in place, but let me tell you this…

I may be a bit old school cause I think this new Aluminium Studding SUCKS!

It bends and slides, and twists as your trying to screw the Drywall in place…might be nice for some but I was not a fan so I did the interior in good ‘ol fashion wood….

“Dad always said newer is not always better”

The Electrical was easy…I bought a case of Beer from my brother who is an electrician LOL!

So as he wired the boxes that would eventually house lights, switches, and out lets, I ran Speaker wire, Phone lines and television Cable around the entire perimeter of the room just in case I ever decided to switch the lay out of the room down the road….“Dad always said its best to plan for the worst case”

I had some challenges of course as well…

42’ of overhead bulk head to box in the Duct work comes to mind.

gallery_338_481_136241.jpg

The home has nice tall ceilings so I just couldn’t bring myself to loose any of the height with a drop ceiling….although about ¼ of the way into the dry walling My shoulders were begging me to change my mind. Another major challenge was getting the drywall in…

The 8’x4’ pieces wouldn’t go around the corner to the basement, and the windows were sealed on one side, so every piece had to be cut upstairs in the garage and carried down, which was both a blessing and a curse.

I did 90% of the work solo being my friends and family are off on weekends, and I’m not so….lifting 4’ sections in place by myself was a heck of lot easier then 8’sections LOL!

gallery_338_481_30649.jpg

gallery_338_481_29078.jpg

gallery_338_481_45959.jpg

gallery_338_481_66954.jpg

But the Taping, mudding and unfortunately the sanding in particular was literally Doubled….

The Dust was unbelievable LOL…

It took me weeks of Sanding, and tapering, and sanding and tapering, but…I took my time.

Like Dad always said “do it right the first time, and you won’t have to do it again“

gallery_338_481_35337.jpg

gallery_338_481_175588.jpg

gallery_338_481_53027.jpg

gallery_338_481_41026.jpg

gallery_338_481_161005.jpg

I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever be excited to paint…

But after the hell that is called sanding, Painting seemed like it would be a holiday….and it was!

Priming was awesome…no worries of drips, no tape, no lines to follow.

Being I needed to prime the Ceiling as well it was so very nice to do some work that was not detail oriented.

Just spray it on in every direction, and if it gets on the floor the carpet will cover it later so…no big deal!

Dad always said…“its better to recharge yourself with some mindless work, then to stop or slow down.”

Of course then it came to the real painting….

gallery_338_481_98782.jpg

gallery_338_481_70867.jpg

I got everything taped up and did the ceiling first, then the walls, and then got a bit Artsy with an accent wall.

I had planned on Camo, but the warden was not letting that happen LOL!…

“Ain’t nobody happy if Momma ain’t happy” is what dad always said…so I skipped the green.

gallery_338_481_192214.jpg

gallery_338_481_44475.jpg

Next I picked out some funky low watt light fixtures.

I liked them because I can angle, and place the light where, and as needed….I loved the soft lighting even more then I thought I would!!!

“Sometimes less is more“…that’s what Dad would say.

gallery_338_481_99749.jpg

gallery_338_481_105386.jpg

Carpet was the single largest expense of the project….

At a little under 1000 square feet, plus a set of stairs it adds up quick.

Of course being a basement cement floor we opted for a mock shag and a premium under padding to soften the floor and warm the feet.

The color we chose had to be of a darker nature being I have kids and cats LOL!

This one is called “Deerwood” so even the carpet fit the theme…

Dad always said “stay on the path and don’t forget what direction your going.”

gallery_338_481_24882.jpg

Next was Hanging the doors, trim, and Baseboards, and moving in the furniture…probably the most Satisfying part of the Project because it now was officially a finished Basement complete with an office to work from home on occasion, or just check on things here at the OFC!

“Don’t forget to have some fun with it” Dad always said.

gallery_338_481_643.jpg

gallery_338_481_98368.jpg

gallery_338_481_127620.jpg

med_gallery_338_481_102488.jpg

But…the work was not done just yet!

What is a man’s Basement with out a Bar I thought? So…I tried my hand at some Cabinet making.

I measured twice, and ordered a nice matching counter top and begun framing again.

Put a couple shelves in with some basic sliding doors, and installed a Recessed Bar fridge to save some room behind the bar….I Thought about putting in a sink and taps but Dad always said

“don’t get carried away”

gallery_338_481_188777.jpg

gallery_338_481_73312.jpg

gallery_338_481_156762.jpg

Last but not least I had one more project this year I needed to incorporate to give my dream basement the Camping feel…A fireplace is what I had in mind.

If anything it was an excuse to work with the Hilti Again…gotta love power tools LOL!

(cue Tim the tool man Tailor…har har har!!!)

So I tried my hand at Tileing a fireplace Hearth…that was quite fun to be honest!

Then came the hardest part…putting the hole in the wall!

gallery_338_481_202605.jpg

gallery_338_481_145288.jpg

Although truth be told the hammer drill took care of that in a hurry.

The rest was literally like playing with Lego…Simply point the pipe in the right direction, insert, turn one quarter till it locks, and insert 4 screws, then repeat until your above the roof line by a few feet…with a support rod thrown in here and there of course.

Dad always said better “safe then sorry.”

med_gallery_338_481_41012.jpg

And last but not least….the only Fishing/ hunting part of the post LOL!!!

Dad used to say “when the work is done its time to relax…“

So I accented the room with things I like!!!

Anyone who likes fishing, and has an appreciation for art will know James Lumbar.

All of his paintings are of pastime memories, and tender moments….but all also feature a Ghost hidden somewhere in his works making them even more enchanting , with the suggestion our passions follow us even beyond this world…

I’ve always been a fan, and he has a few Pieces that are fishing related that fit the basement theme perfectly!

gallery_338_481_108600.jpg

gallery_338_481_130324.jpg

gallery_338_481_26682.jpg

Then I added some Paintings, a Friend gave us as gifts. The first is Me and My brother in Algonquin many years ago, and the second is the Mouth of the Sauble river at Sunset…2 very near and dear places to me.

gallery_338_481_17445.jpg

gallery_338_481_68200.jpg

I couldn’t turn down this wall mural, as it reminds me of my favourite stand up north….I now sit at my bar and practice Squinting one eyed at the buck some nights. ..LOL!

gallery_338_481_135293.jpg

The Border I chose... well I think it speaks for its self.

gallery_338_481_116162.jpg

My wall of Fame…In other words my wall of PB’s

(As Time goes on I hope to fill that wall with shots of the Kids PB’s as well.)

gallery_338_481_106293.jpg

Last but not least I had to “red neck it up” a bit to make it comfortable for the boys to hang out LOL!

gallery_338_481_13283.jpg

gallery_338_481_76174.jpg

med_gallery_338_481_3100.jpg

med_gallery_338_481_111106.jpg

gallery_338_481_109801.jpg

med_gallery_338_481_121795.jpg

So I finished just in time for Christmas!

gallery_338_481_37304.jpg

Hope you like!

Oh!

And your probably asking yourself…What’s with all the “Dad always said” references right?

Well as a kid when there was work to be done around the house cottage, or yard Dad always made me help.

I’d complain and would whine because the other Kids were out paying hockey or hanging out…

He used to say “you pay attention and Someday your gonna thank me for this…”

Its about Time...

Thanks Dad you were right,

I now have my dream Basement, and I appreciate it all that much more because I did it all myself.

(go figure he’s the one who taught me how to fish and hunt as well.)

Maybe Next winter the Bathroom will go in...

Cheers,

Thanks for the Pics. You Kind of made it look easy. I love the Bar. Only thing missing and that would be the Biggest Honking Stereo That I could Find. My Dad always told me, I may be a Warrant, but there is no way that I should disobey the WARDEN. She Rules.

I'll send you the measurements for mine and you can write my a quote.

Yikes bud,

You help me with the Bathroom next winter, I'll help you out in exchange...got some concrete to bust :D

Only thing missing and that would be the Biggest Honking Stereo That I could Find

I'm wired, just need the cubes to hang on the wall ;)

Its great that you took pics all the way along to show your progess.

Whats really great is my Wife took the Pictures...I didn't think of it.

I just did the work LOL!

But I'm glad she did for sure. :)

Oh!

And your probably asking yourself…What’s with all the “Dad always said” references right?

Well as a kid when there was work to be done around the house cottage, or yard Dad always made me help.

I’d complain and would whine because the other Kids were out paying hockey or hanging out…

He used to say “you pay attention and Someday your gonna thank me for this…”

Its about Time...

Thanks Dad you were right,

I now have my dream Basement, and I appreciate it all that much more because I did it all myself.

(go figure he’s the one who taught me how to fish and hunt as well.)

Maybe Next winter the Bathroom will go in...

Cheers,

Awesome work man - I know exactly what you mean. My old man was the EXACT same way. I tore out the 70's beaver panelling from my entire house and dry-walled it myself last year. I agree, the sanding part is hell. But I'm glad I did it myself. Although if I can afford it down the road, I'm going to pay somebody to do my basement! lol I'd rather have all those weekends spent with my kids, and on the water!

Good work!

UF

Looks good !

I used steel stud for all basement framing in the last house , alot less mess and easier to frame bulkheads etc . Didn't have any issue with studs twisting !?

Also couldn't fit 4x8 down the stairs , just scored the back , folded it in half , down the stairs and on the wall , made for less joints to tape :D

Really like the built in beer fridge , just need some better beer :P

Thanks for posting , the new house (new to us) has a prefinished basement but it does need some decorating !

TB

I'm going to pay somebody to do my basement! lol I'd rather have all those weekends spent with my kids, and on the water!

Thats why I did most of it in the winter ;)

Really like the built in beer fridge , just need some better beer

LOL...truth be told that shot was taken the day after an opening party after I restocked with the only beer left over.

There was whole lotta nicklebrook, Cameron, and Moose head consumed that night :P

Better re-stock if I'm gonna do G2G Like Bill suggests!

so how much is rent?

You keep the fridge full, and supply the big baits an we gotta deal...I better check with the warden first though :lol:

Fabulous job Cookslav!!

That is sure something to be proud of!!

I have just started mine only having the studding up. I too am not looking forward to the mud work and taping.

Mine will be done with a Fishing Lodge theme in mind. Reading your post has given me some more inspiration.

Thanks and enjoy the fruits of your labour.