FREE 12' aluminum Boat !

Lunker777

Hey all !

I was out at the farm talking to my grandparents and it came to my attention they had a small aluminum in the back shed. NEVER knew it was there hahah SO i took some time yesterday and got it dug out of tall the CRAP it was under... I should have taken a pic of that !

They didn't know if it was a 12 ft or a 14 ft so after getting it dug out I measured and its only 12' :angry: :angry: A little to small for out area... but good for a cottage boat I suppose. AND it was free so Im not going to complain haha

march28th041.jpg

march28th042.jpg

Then I comes to find out they have 3 outboards as well.. a 9.9 a 5 and a 2.5 HP haha

The evinrude has been sitting for quite some time but when they put it away ( about 15 yrs it hasn't moved ) it was running great .. according to my grandpa, and I believe him.... he takes VERY good care of his stuff.

When I got the motor home and popped the cover off... I found ... what I am 99% sure is a mouse nest... the motor was stored outside in his work shop ... will that do any serious damage ?

Can anyone tell me the year the engine is from ?

Also , where should I start on this thing to get it running again... check spark plugs... etc. ???? thanks for any help !!!

march28th038.jpg

march28th039.jpg

march28th040.jpg

Thanks for looking and any help !

I'd start by setting up a way of trying/testing it in your yard or garage. At camp I have a 2x8 nailed between two trees on which I mount the motor and an old 55 gallon plastic drum under it half filled with water to run the motor in.

Drain out any fuel or oil and replace. Pull the plug, wire brush it if its gummed up, put it back, and give it a try.

I'm an electrician, not a mechanic so if somebody tells you I'm wrong, they're probably right.

Nice find.

Motor looks to be late 1970's to early 1980's. Judging by the decals I'd say 1980. You need the model number to know for sure. The model number is located on a plate on the transom bracket. Unfortunately, it looks like its missing. The model number may be stamped on a silver plug on the side of the powerhead.

Spray a health dose of oil in the cylinders and pull the rope starter a bunch of times to get the internals lubricated. Change the lower unit oil. You will also need a new water pump impeller. You should change it before you attempt to start it. Personally, I would see if it starts first, but you should know its possible that the impeller may fail immediately and parts of it could get lodged in the powerhead water passages - bad news! When you are ready to start the motor, put it on muffs or in a barrel and try to run it using fresh 87 octance gas and TC-W3 outboard motor oil at 50:1.

Check to see if the mouse chewed any wires, also you should be able to find the serial number of that motor, you will want that if you need to order any parts for it. Check to see if there is any spark, after sitting for that length of time you may need new coils for it. The other thing I would do is replace the impeller on it. Any chance the owners manual might still be around?

You need the model number to order parts. The serial number is for the factory. Either way, they are stamped on the same plate. I did forget to mention to check for spark. However, the CDI ignition in that motor is almost always good. Prior to that model they had coil issues.

good find and deal for free! i second that motor being from the early 80s. that probably could be totally toast from those mice. 2 years ago mice got into the motor of his yamaha sled and from the mice pee and crap it totally eroded the cylinders and pistons and chewed the crap out of everything. check over all wires and give it a good cleaning to make sure everything is still good and check to make sure things arent dried out. i'd clean the carbs, do a compression test, change the bottom end oil then go drop it in a tank and see if she'll fire up and run well. good luck!!

Too add to it there is a plastic air snorkle on the carb held on with 4 screws. Remove them before you turn it over in case there is some debris in it.

These engines are one of the easiest out there to change a water pump. Do as boatman suggests and do it first.

Unless the mice chewed wires and the carb is gummed it should go. Great little engines.

Edited by Bernie

Too add to it there is a plastic air snorkle on the carb held on with 4 screws. Remove them before you turn it over in case there is some debris in it.

These engines are one of the easiest out there to change a water pump. Do as boatman suggests and do it first.

Unless the mice chewed wires and the carb is gummed it should go. Great little engines.

Yup...

I beleive I have the same engine hanging in the Garage.

I use it at the camp, or when ever I need it.

She's old but runs great...one or two pulls, no stalls, No issues.

Now that is a great find, and I mean just the boat. A 12 ft. Thorens is a great boat, wish I could find one.

Had a great 4 days on Lake of the Woods fishing out of this one my buds inlaws own last summer:

003.jpg

They beat this one into submission carrying rocks for the pilings for their dock, had to patch it once when they hit a reef with a full load, and that was 25 yrs. ago, still going strong.

That motor also looks nice and clean, probably do not need to do much to it to get it running properly. All suggestions above will get the job done. The prop does need to be either replaced or repaired, or maybe both. Get a new one, and that one repaired for a spare. Those chips in that one fluke can be redone at a marine shop.

Now that is a great find, and I mean just the boat. A 12 ft. Thorens is a great boat, wish I could find one.

Had a great 4 days on Lake of the Woods fishing out of this one my buds inlaws own last summer:

003.jpg

They beat this one into submission carrying rocks for the pilings for their dock, had to patch it once when they hit a reef with a full load, and that was 25 yrs. ago, still going strong.

That motor also looks nice and clean, probably do not need to do much to it to get it running properly. All suggestions above will get the job done. The prop does need to be either replaced or repaired, or maybe both. Get a new one, and that one repaired for a spare. Those chips in that one fluke can be redone at a marine shop.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i would replace the oil on the bottom end first. it's the easiest job on an outboard and part of annual maintenance.

i'd also put a new plug in. then i would test it. if it works still then i'd invest a few dollars into a tune up.

i know lots of people who tune their own carbs etc. but it's funny, they are always the ones with motors who don't idle slow enough to troll and stuff...

treat her kind and i bet she'll work for another 20 years.

Nice backup fishing boat for free. Had a 12 ft. Thornes and 9.9 for 25 yrs. It really was sea-worthy and quick.

If you want to test out that motor the munincipal garbage bins work well like in this video.