To big for my 14' aluminum boat?

fish-miester

Hey Guys so i was wondering .. i got a boat from my grandfather (he left if for me)

the boat is a 14' springbok ..with a Evinrude 9.9 (a guess of 18-20 yrs old) it has a sturdy all aluminum transom ect, the boat / rivets are mint..!

though this year i have been working on puting in a front casting deck (wood / seat covering the front half of the boat) a bowmount trolling motor + battery..

which got me thinking,

how is my 9.9 going to push me + 1 other person and the add on's ?!

so i asked around looking for a bigger motor and i can get a 2000'ish 40hp (4 stroke) tiller....(for cheap from family)..

i did some research and it says boats such as my 14' Bok is rated for a 25-30hp motor.. do you think i would be able to use the 40hp? or should i try and get a smaller motor ? or if i use the 40 should i limit myself with the throttle?

like i said the back of the boat is quite solid , and has good support and if need i will add more.. though will it be to heavy ?

as well as would it be better to make it into a single sided stearing console instead of using the tiller.?. try to reduce weight at the back of the boat or would that make much difference ?

Thanks for reading, i just didnt wanna get out on the lake or to be trailering my boat and have major problems, that could have been prevented.

would love to hear what every one has to say ..

thanks again

a fellow angler

Edited by fish-miester

Buy up that 40 for cheap, sell it for a good price, then buy yourself a 25-30 with that money.

I wouldn't put a 40 Stroke on the back of that springbok. It might be Ok for a little while, but after time, it will damage your boat. Not to mention it will be dangerously fast, and you could easily swamp the boat over the transom with that weight on the back of it.

Sinker

My second boat was on old 15' side console Springbok with an even older 33 hp .

was given an early 90's(?) 55 mariner .Raised and reinforced the transom 2" .Built an aluminum casting deck for the front area and a plywood deck at the rear.

Was a great little boat for the shallows , but a little scarey .Rarely ran at full throttle .

Got a lot of comments at the dock ;)

Weight of the motor wasn't the issue(2 stroke) , but is definatly was overpowered.Would not let the kids run it for sure.Especially with cable steering .

Gave it away to the guy who gave me the 55 . Motor is still running ( on another boat)

I think the sell and buy the motor that suits you would be best option.Just let whoever you are getting the motor from know your plans so there are no misunderstandings.

Loook forward to seeing some pics of the boat !

TB

Edited by tinbanger

Ive had two Boats now, both Aluminum 14 foot with wooden decks and the carpeting. Ive pulled the carpeting and wood out of both boats. Its not for speed, but mostly because it was way too heavy for my liking. Nothing like trying to pull up the Titanic to secure it overnight at a camping spot. Also I ran into several lakes where I had to Launch and recover without the aid of Water. It just gives me more flexibility vice a level carpeted floor.

I have a 12 foot with a 9.9 Yamaha which I find Dangerous. That thing goes like a Rocket and I found myself stopping forgetting to take it easy as the wake will swamp the stern if I'm not careful. I would not modify anything, You could be asking for trouble.

I am not a fan of ever exceeding the MFG`s ratings, just opens the door for problems. Boat is designed for a certain HP motor of a certain weight going over can cause metal fatigue cracking, even when trailering. Boat may just not be stiff enough to handle it.

A 9.9 will push it but you have to realize it`s limitations and be comfortable with them, not speed boat and your going nowhere fast. More care to expected or un-expected weather changes is needed.

If you can get the bigger motor cheap enough and sell or trade for a 20-30 still might be a plus for you. Smaller motor doesn`t mean you can`t catch fish, just can`t be in a hurry to get to where you want to fish.

As a kid I cruised around with my buddy in Pointe Au Baril with a 5hp Sabre on a 14 foot aluminum rental, never a problem, just no hurry to get anywhere.

A bow platform on some of the aluminum boats is a good idea, dad had a 16 foot sylvan with a 25 johnson, even with a whale tail you couldn`t keep the bow down with 1 person in the boat. My first stop was searching for some big rocks to put in the bow on old carpeting to hold it down. Just needed weight up front.

haha im liking you idea "troutologist".

I am so used to fishing out of a canoe / john boat .. by paddleing wich is a key way to fish .. but with the thought of HP on the brain i all of a suddn wanna go fast , i realise a 30hp will defenetly still skoot me from here and there ..

but yes , thanks every one i guess i needed a second opinion !

i appreciate every ones help , if i get the 40hp i will most likely trade / sell as i would like to keep this boat around as long as i can ,

thanks again !

a fellow angler

reinforce it and go wild haha! my buddy put a 15hp evinrude on his old 12footer and that thing is one scary boat!!! i say close to my tackle box incase the thing goes down cause i know what im grabbing hahaha! the back of it is all falling apart and we are gonna reinforce it with some angle iron and the thing trolls wayyyy to fast just pushes that boat to hard. that 9.9 would move the 14foot along alright and it will troll it nicely. i got a 9.9 on my 12footer and its just perfect. if its just a fishing boat keep the 9.9 and it'll be fine. or ya race it for pinks and get a newer nicer boat LOL

haha im liking you idea "troutologist".

I am so used to fishing out of a canoe / john boat .. by paddleing wich is a key way to fish .. but with the thought of HP on the brain i all of a suddn wanna go fast , i realise a 30hp will defenetly still skoot me from here and there ..

but yes , thanks every one i guess i needed a second opinion !

i appreciate every ones help , if i get the 40hp i will most likely trade / sell as i would like to keep this boat around as long as i can ,

thanks again !

a fellow angler

Fish-miester,

My dad's old 14 foot boat had everything you want with a tiller 25 Evinrude and for the size it was fast and scary.

In this picture it didn't have the Minkota yet and you can't see the motor. He made a bunch of compartments, it shows the bow and one side. It was a good little boat and he loved it. We had a lot of great times in that thing.

GoneFishin11.jpg

Fish-miester,

My dad's old 14 foot boat had everything you want with a tiller 25 Evinrude and for the size it was fast and scary.

In this picture it didn't have the Minkota yet and you can't see the motor. He made a bunch of compartments, it shows the bow and one side. It was a good little boat and he loved it. We had a lot of great times in that thing.

GoneFishin11.jpg

Is that a Springbok. It looks like mine. Only I removed the wooden floor and all the carpeting except the front tip. It weighed a ton

DO NOT GO OVER THE HP RATING ON YOUR BOAT!!

You have to remember that anything over 10hp needs to be insured. If you are over powered, your insurance wouldn't cover you if something ever happened, also not to mention the grief you'll get from the OPP on the water. If it's rated for 20hp, go with that, she'll move plenty fast with a 20 on the back. You are not trying to race those bass boats are you??

DO NOT GO OVER THE HP RATING ON YOUR BOAT!!

You have to remember that anything over 10hp needs to be insured. If you are over powered, your insurance wouldn't cover you if something ever happened, also not to mention the grief you'll get from the OPP on the water. If it's rated for 20hp, go with that, she'll move plenty fast with a 20 on the back. You are not trying to race those bass boats are you??

I know , i wont be going over the rating , as i realized it will be plenty fast with just a 25-30

and no i wasnt serious about racing

Fish-miester,

Check out the boat in my avatar. Its a 1988 14' Springbok Resorter. Probably the same as your boat. Its rated to 28 hp. It has a full floor and casting deck. I can tell you from experience that a 9.9 hp won't plane it with all the weight. 15 hp planes with just me (200 lbs). A 20 hp gets me and a buddy on plane, but struggles when the buddy is my 300 lbs friend. The 25 hp gets two guys up no problem. The 30 hp which I run on it will plane 3 +200lbs guys, but performance is reduced. The 30 hp also runs at a max speed of 43-44 kph. The 20 hp went 36 kph. Get a 25-30 hp and you will be fine.

Leave it as a tiller. The console takes up too much room in a 14' boat.

Here's mine a 2001 Tracker SGV 14-T..1998 Evinrude 30hp ,S/S, 13% Prop.

Fully loaded I'll hit 31.6 MPH on GPS single....28.2 MPH double.. with gear.

I had upgraded from the 20Hp Merc.... the minute I put the 30 on I knew I needed trim tabs I couldn't keep the bow down...so I relocated some batteries to the front.. my problem was cured ..I can troll it nice and slow .

I couldn't imagine putting a 40 on it.

RFS

My_Tracker.jpg

Is that a Springbok. It looks like mine. Only I removed the wooden floor and all the carpeting except the front tip. It weighed a ton

No it was a Smokercraft. Everything you see he did himself. It was just a three bench, bare aluminum boat. He was cheap, on the other hand his son would rather buy one already finished and pay a little more. :lol: :lol:

It was heavy to the point were we couldn't just lift it off the trailer but she moved us 'little' guys along at a pretty good clip.